Hi, I've been playing on and off for around 6 years. It started when my younger brother had lessons for a few months. he would come home and show me what he had learned, so I learned a few basic chords and basic skills, but didn't have a guitar of my own so never really got that far. He lost interest so I stole his guitar and learned a few songs but then he sold it.

I then dug out my mum's classical guitar which she got when she was 6 (making it 30 odd years old) and restrung it and began playing that. Obviously being a classical guitar and totally unsuitable for what I wanted to play I taught myself to fingerpick a little and I'm pretty decent at it.

I've got myself a bullet strat now and have been playing that, which has been hard to re adjust to again, but I'm getting there. I just feel like because I haven't had lessons, I'll never be a real guitarist. I don't know any theory either what so ever, which I'm gonna get into soon. I might have a few lessons in the future once I'm out of uni and have money, but I just needed to get it out there. Thanks for reading haha.
some of the best guitarists have been self taught. Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix
Nah, nothing wrong with teaching yourself in my opinion. It all depends on the individual - some folks learn better at their own pace and they don't mind pulling the bits and pieces together. Others absolutely need supervision to get to their goals. I see that in my Beginners Guitar Course all the time and I've seen it when I was giving face to face lessons. People couldn't be more different.
Hey there I don't disagree with the above comments in anyway, it comes down to preference in my opinion I have been playing for round about 7 years and although I am self taught it was my preference to be self taught, I maybe no were near fast or anything but I always wanted be able to learn at my own pace, my dad has helped me loads being that he has being playing as long as I have been alive lol (36 in-case you're wandering ) but some guitarists explain things so fast that I have lost what they are saying within 2 minutes, so I take something I want to learn a technique or song etc and break it apart and teach myself it slowly and at my own pace, but I always wanted to play for me I am not into covers, I know a few not many, but back to the point I always had so many ideas in my head that I had to learn guitar to be able to express them.

Anyway sorry I have rambled on, this is just my opinion and I hope it helps.

Thanks

Godmonkee
I play the way I do because it allows me to come up with the Sickest Sounds possible. That's the point now isn't it - Jeff Beck
geting the basics from a teacher is good then after that self taught is fine.
sometimes self taught is better because say you cant do a chord with the fingers it show
but you come up with a better way useing other fingers thats fine
iam just starting out my self
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I might get a few lessons for stuff I struggle with and theory but I really do love playing, and it's mainly just for fun when I'm in my room alone, because my other hobby, which is Illustration is my career now, and is more work than fun! But who knows I might get a band together in a few years. I like learning by myself at my own pace, which lately has actually been quite fast I think. Although I'm still a little clumsy. I always knew Hendrix was self taught, but didn't really think about it while I was writing this. It kind of gives you some hope, although I'm sure I'll never be that good!!!!
I don't think there's anything wrong at all with being self-taught. If you are not happy with where you are as a player then yes lessons can help a lot but are not completely necessary, but if you don't it doesn't mean you aren't a real guitarist
You can absolutely teach yourself, you know your learning style better than anyone else. On the other hand, you could find and pay a preferably great teacher for lessons. Either way, it's up to you to do the heavy lifting. Do you have a method to establish a goal and the ability to measure your progress? I'd recommend starting there if you decide to teach yourself.
Because this will protect your benefit if you want to get a refund when there is something unexpected happened in the process of trading Diablo 3 gold. While a scam site will ask you transfer cash directly. Absolutely, anyone who wants to buy Diablo 3 wil stat regarding Living take, and you may get the value is significantly below with all the stat regarding Living take. This kind of gun under I obtained that of them costing only 10 thousand buy diablo 3 gold not too long ago. That is fantastic about my own Monk. more about D3 Gold at diablo4shop.com
Quote by xellebellex
It kind of gives you some hope, although I'm sure I'll never be that good!!!!

Never say that you can be as good as you want to be if you are willing to put on the time and effort, I always had that attitude I will never be as good as whoever, and then I started to practice more and thought I can be as good as I want to be if I keep on like this, sorry if I sounded harsh but a lot of guitarists have the attitude oh I am not very good and they end up being amazing, one thing I would suggest doing for a bit of fun but it does help as well do a recording of yourself now and then in about 3 months do another one and compare yourself you will see the difference and it doesn't half inspire you more because you see how much you have improved.

Thanks for reading
Godmonkee
I play the way I do because it allows me to come up with the Sickest Sounds possible. That's the point now isn't it - Jeff Beck
Being self-taught is fine, but I suggest you to visit a teacher or an experienced player every now and then just to make sure you are developing the proper technique.

I tell you this because when I started playing self-taught back in 2006 I used a wrong picking technique for a year without knowing it was wrong. It took me another year to correct it because I was used to pick that way.
Youtube has plenty of people with instructional tutorials and stuff for free!

I used to take lessons, and it has value.
But I have probably made most of my progress as a musician being self taught or playing with other musicians.

Music theory is easy to find on the internet!

Overall, everyone seems to have some good points here.
Recording yourself is kind of a pain in the ass, but it really helps!

Have fun with it!
One of the great things about having the internet these days for self taught guitarists is if there is a technique or sound you like but can’t figure out how to get it on your own; chances are someone has posted themselves doing it on the net. Back in my day (you know way back in the early 90’s) if you couldn’t figure out a tone or sound it was all word of mouth between the guitarists you personally knew or a lot of trial and error.

It’s probably the best time ever to be self taught if you think about it.
I stopped going to my guitar teacher about four years ago but I don't consider myself self taught, I have had thousands of guitar teachers since then.. on Youtube. But really, if you got the will and you really like playing you'll be fine.