Hi guys

Steve Vai is in town soon and I'm thinking of taking my guitar for him to sign (I have the Evo package- meet and greet etc) and I'm wondering what are the best ways of doing it- best pen/marker etc and how to preserve the autograph so that it doesn't rub off.

Any tips?
Clear packing tape

^This is an OT forum, and I think signature preservation falls here better than in GB&C
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Rub a beeswax, salt and icy hot solution on it once every couple of hours.

Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
I had the same question last year, got my guitar signed on the back of the headstock and was worried about it gradually rubbing off
figured some clear varnish would do it, bought some (cheap, and I work in a hardware store) but still haven't got round to coating it
Quote by bastards

^This is an OT forum, and I think signature preservation falls here better than in GB&C

nah GB&C is more pertinent
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Aug 19, 2013,
Getting your guitar signed decreases its value. Get him to sign a fan instead.

Quote by bastards

Well you think wrong.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Getting your guitar signed decreases its value. Get him to sign a fan instead.

That's only a concern if you intend on selling it
besides, get it on the back of the headstock and it'd just take a bit of sanding to remove any trace
A friend got a pickguard signed and put a layer of clear plastic or something similar on top of it which worked.

If you are talking about on the body of the guitar then I would have though some varnish would do the job although I have never done it myself.

Enjoy the show, I saw him last year on the Story of Light tour and it was incredible
have him sign the pickguard then put a new pickguard on the guitar. It'll rub off if you use the guitar.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
see with mine I like that he signed the back of the headstock cuz then I can see it, and it doesn't ruin the look of the guitar
like, if you're getting your instrument signed it has to be an idol, an inspiration, so being able to see it while playing is cool
clear coat it, permanent
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I heard that spraying sperm with orange glo works great.

His sperm or mine?

My guitar doesn't have a pickguard sadly, I want him to sign my RG1527 so perhaps the back of the headstock would be best. I'm not bothered about resell value as I have bought and sold around a dozen guitars over the past few years and this one I have never considered parting with <3
I heard clear nail polish works to preserve signatures on guitars
I used to be a goddamn saint. I said my prayers and handled snakes until the road introduced me to sin. I only shook hands with drink but he had friends with him
Quote by Hydra150
That's only a concern if you intend on selling it
besides, get it on the back of the headstock and it'd just take a bit of sanding to remove any trace

but then nobody could see it

you'll have a picture of your guitar

"hey check out my signed guitar"

"i don't see a signature"

"yeah well it's on the back"

"yeah sure it is asshole"
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
well if you're doing it to brag then you can scribble it across the front of the body
it'll probably look daft though
Quote by fishmunky
I heard clear nail polish works to preserve signatures on guitars

That was going to be my suggestion. I've heard that suggested for similar uses, though not specifically with guitars.
It's like £1.39 for a small tin of clear varnish though
you'll have more than you need but you won't have to buy nail varnish
you get to go into a manly hardware store and everything
Quote by SilverSpurs616
His sperm or mine?

Well you could say it was signed and jizzed on by him to increase your fan cred, but for preservation, any sperm will do. Just make sure you mix orange glo with it or you'll just have cum on your guitar.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Hydra150
see with mine I like that he signed the back of the headstock cuz then I can see it, and it doesn't ruin the look of the guitar
like, if you're getting your instrument signed it has to be an idol, an inspiration, so being able to see it while playing is cool

I agree with this.

Otherwise you could get him to sign it on the head under Ibanez.
It wouldn't get worn away there.

Last edited by UltimateGuizar at Aug 20, 2013,
Sounds like clear coat or nail varnish is the way forward, got a lotta people elsewhere telling me to use the nail stuff. Thanks guys!