Hi, im looking into building my first pedal board for hardcore/metalcore and rock. in going very small, only 4 pedals. The chain im looking at right now is:

TC Polytune -- Behringer Comp/Sustain -- Boss DS-1 -- Behringer Ultra Metal UM300

I'm on a very tight budget, and i know Behringer pedals are not the top of the line, but they fit right into my budget and ive heard some good things about them for their price. Any advice on the layout or any other affordable pedals?
Firstly, what amp and guitar(s) are you running through? Secondly, stay the hell away from behringer. Doesn't matter how cheap they are, they're clones of other pedals built with horrible reliability. I've not heard of anyone to have a behringer pedal that doesn't fail on them for no reason. That isn't to say 100% of them go down, but it's just not a good success rate.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Firstly, what amp and guitar(s) are you running through? Secondly, stay the hell away from behringer. Doesn't matter how cheap they are, they're clones of other pedals built with horrible reliability. I've not heard of anyone to have a behringer pedal that doesn't fail on them for no reason. That isn't to say 100% of them go down, but it's just not a good success rate.

I'm looking at getting a Peavey Vypyr 40W or a Line 6 Spider 30W (Again on a very tight budget) and I'm using a Charvel Desolation DS-3.
Out of the two I'd go with the Vypyr. I wouldn't go with the DS-1 or UltraMetal though. They'll be redundant on either amp, and they don't sound great even through tube amps, so sticking them in front of a modeling amp isn't going to produce good results.

I don't know a ton about the Vypyr, but it gets positive reviews, and I would think it could do some high gain stuff ok. An even better option would be the Vypyr Tube if you can swing it. The TC Polytune is the only pedal you listed that I could recommend on good conscience.
Last edited by chip46 at Aug 19, 2013,
as far as pedals you listed go near everything in this post is shit. the exception is the Polytune. they are great tuners to have. i happen to prefer the pitchblack, but its just preference.

DS1's in stock form are terrible, but there are tons of mods that you can do with them. some of them i don't even think you have to solder at all or maybe just a few joints.

vypyr over cheap spider any day.

if you can hold out longer or if you budget could grow i would advise a wypyr tube 60. they can be found around $300 last time i checked. to make it better yet the poweramp section in the ampe is identical to the 6505+. talk to 311, he has had one for a lont time and has lots of clips up.

but seriously if you were to get a vypyr you would NOT need any of the pedals unless you want the tuner out front.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'd recommend saving a few extra coins and getting out of the Behringer trap.

Mooer, Boss, Digitech, MXR/Dunlop are worth considering. Tried the used market. I have MXR and Boss pedals that are over 20 years old and still function perfectly.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
ive heard decent things from joyo and GFS. i have a GFS tuner its a solid unit for the price, but its a tuner. not really a tonal thing. but for actual effects, i still hear they are good for the money.

lets face it, anything cheap will be a half-assed clone. its reality. if everything original and high quality was cheap the world would undo itself...
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Forget about the pedals and try to scratch up a bit more coin for a used Vyper Tube 60. Get the Sanpera footswitch if you can though - you'll want it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Forget about the pedals and try to scratch up a bit more coin for a used Vyper Tube 60. Get the Sanpera footswitch if you can though - you'll want it.

If you can gst tge the 60, you could get the sanpera at a later date after you have more money
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/