So i've had this valve state for a few years now. would any one recommend I just buy a tube head now? Now i'm using a dean 550 which has 2 active emg pickups.I've never actually tried tube with these active pickups, but Im not just trying to get louder, mainly going for better clean setting and heavier distortion. Any thoughts?

Edit- Well pretty much I've found a sound I love w/clean setting. OD2 isn't all that bad. Got the inside cleaned up and now it sounds great. Any presets you guys would like to share? Im not sure what this "death" setting is. Supposed to sound like the band?

Also I noticed the gain goes up to 20 lol
But THIS amp goes up to 20!! xD
Last edited by onethat at Aug 21, 2013,
If you want us to recommend an amp to you, answer these questions and we'll be able to help you https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25873058&postcount=1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
What he said. Yes, upgrade it unless you are playing Death. But what ^ he said.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just look up a bunch of different amps, watch youtube reviews, then try them in person, just find what you like. Valvestates sound pretty good to me, and just because something's more expensive does NOT mean it's going to be better. Hell, I get a really nice clean sound out of my spider III amp
I had an 8100 in my jam room for a long time. We tried it through my 1960, 1936 and a friend's awesome Soldano 2x12. It sounded shit through all of them. They have that one tone (The Death tone) and that's it. If you want to do anything else they are hideous. Even my beat up old 100W SS Yamaha sounded better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard is being cranky old man again. Valvestate is a one trick pony, yes, but in broader sense than just Death tone. Though thats what it is famous for but it nails any late 80's to late 90's extreme metal tones and does it for cheap. For +-150€ its a steal for a metalhead on strict budget IMHO.
With a boost and EQ help it does modern too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhDTOFilOBw

Dunno about Cath but I think it sounds pretty good. I like mine anyway, and consider it more or less on par with my solid state Randall in apples vs oranges fashion. They behave and sound so different that they cannot be directly compared.

Now that said, I do think you should try your feet with tube amps. Bands using Valvestate eventually moved on to amps like Peavey 6505 or Mesa for a reason. While it gets unfair bad rap it is still a budget amp. It doesnt sound particularly big either. (something my Randall beats it in btw. But that thing shakes wall even on low volume or so it feels like)

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Sounds like a crappy old valvestate with an overdrive in front of it.

You like that? Really?

He's right to be upgrading it. But we haven't heard the answer to the questions asked in the link so what to upgrade it to ..........
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I <3 Death...

It's a totally different kind of sound. You're never going to get decent blues or rock tones from it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68kfFSzms4

\m/

Living in the pupil of one thousand eyes!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Aug 21, 2013,
they sound like crap get something else.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard
Sounds like a crappy old valvestate with an overdrive in front of it.

You like that? Really?

He's right to be upgrading it. But we haven't heard the answer to the questions asked in the link so what to upgrade it to ..........

Oh come on, its not that bad for an amp thats practically free if you get lucky. Plus, you should know by now that conventional wisdom about good tone rarely applies to us, or do I need to remind you what my favourite guitar tone ever is again?

But yeah, we are waiting TS.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3