Hi,

I've never really done any of these sort of things before so bear with my noobieness

So I have recently started trying a few of my friend's PRS guitars, tried some out at the shop, and checked a whole bunch out over the inernet, and have pretty much fallen in love with them.

What I was wondering though is since I really love the sound, but probably can't afford a worthwhile PRS guitar any time soon, will just simply putting some high end PRS pickups on a different guitar body give off the sound of a PRS guitar?

I was thinking of a this Ibanez which has a full maple body with a bolt on neck, contrary to most PRS's with the maple top and fixed mahogany neck and body.

This may be really hands down question for some people but I have absolutely no idea how much the type of wood affects the sound produced xD

Thanks in advance
What are you asking exactly?
It wont sound the same in your guitar as it does in the PRS for several reasons.
It will work, yes...and it will probably sound nice. Just not the same.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
It will work, but you do realize PRS pickups are $150 each right.

Why not just get a good set of pickups from Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio? That will only run you $150 for the set.

You can buy a PRS SE used for $300. No it is not the USA PRS nice, but still good guitars.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 20, 2013,
Body wood affects tone a lot, but it's also the 25" set mahogany neck versus the 25.5" bolt-on maple neck that you'll probably find the most difference in. Putting PRS pickups won't make your guitar sound like a PRS at all. The better question is what did you like in the PRS tone is lacking in the Ibanez. Trying to make a guitar sound different is about compensation, not copying what another guitar has. Your Ibanez is naturally brighter than a PRS. Putting PRS pickups in it wouldn't sound like a PRS because it would be too bright. The better question to ask is which pickups would give you a warmer tone. That's just a starting point. But once you figure out what you want, it would be easier to find what you want for your Ibanez. And also note which amps you were playing through. If you're playing the PRS through a different amp than your Ibanez, it's pointless to compare since it might be the amp you like rather than the guitar.
$150/pickup is at the low end of the "good" PRS pickups. At that price, you could buy a used SE, which will get you alot closer to the sound and feel of a USA PRS than modifying your Ibby.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by JELIFISH19
Body wood affects tone a lot, but it's also the 25" set mahogany neck versus the 25.5" bolt-on maple neck that you'll probably find the most difference in. Putting PRS pickups won't make your guitar sound like a PRS at all. The better question is what did you like in the PRS tone is lacking in the Ibanez. Trying to make a guitar sound different is about compensation, not copying what another guitar has. Your Ibanez is naturally brighter than a PRS. Putting PRS pickups in it wouldn't sound like a PRS because it would be too bright. The better question to ask is which pickups would give you a warmer tone. That's just a starting point. But once you figure out what you want, it would be easier to find what you want for your Ibanez. And also note which amps you were playing through. If you're playing the PRS through a different amp than your Ibanez, it's pointless to compare since it might be the amp you like rather than the guitar.

Ah thank you very much that was very detailed
I guess what I was thinking won't do at all seeing as I am now starting to realize part of the reason I really like PRS is the darker tone it has

Also I was comparing the guitars with the same amp
Quote by Robbgnarly
It will work, but you do realize PRS pickups are $150 each right.

Why not just get a good set of pickups from Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio? That will only run you $150 for the set.

You can buy a PRS SE used for $300. No it is not the USA PRS nice, but still good guitars.

Thanks for the advice.

I guess your right. I guess with all the extra cost the end result probably wouldn't be worth it and might not end up sounding the way I expected anyway.

I might just start saving for a decent PRS then
Quote by Auriemma
$150/pickup is at the low end of the "good" PRS pickups. At that price, you could buy a used SE, which will get you alot closer to the sound and feel of a USA PRS than modifying your Ibby.

Ah thanks everyone seems to be telling me this xD
Guess I'll start aiming for a decent PRS
yeah PRS pickups are nice, but there is a lot of name and exclusiveness in that price. its hard to get em really.

you can easily get a 100% boutique handwired set for like 150-200 a pop on the highest end in the aftermarket, which is pretty much middle ground for PRS.

even for 200-250 a set, you should be able to get some of the nicest boutique pups if you find the right places. of course some name brand stuff like dimarzio are easily had for 150 a set.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Auriemma

No, There is 1 PRS pickup that is more expensive, the 59/09 it is $199. Most of them are $130ish each
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 20, 2013,