So I am a bass player but I keep a Peavey Valveking head with a Crate 4x12 at my house so my guitarist can use it to practice. My other guitarist leaves his line 6 spider 4 here and basically I have inherited it.
I love the modeling amp and I use it all the time for home recording (for example: [forbidden link]. However, the amount of tweaking I have to do to the tone to get it to sound the way I want is pretty large and the majority of it I have to do in my DAW (reaper)(If you are curious I am running on a P4, but a better computer is in my foreseeable future...). This kills my computer's processor, so I was thinking if I get a better tone at the source I wouldn't have to do so much tweaking.
Since I never use the Valveking, I was thinking of selling it and buying a POD HD500 (or better depending on what kind of deal I can find). Since I will never be in a situation where I need to play GUITAR live, I am pretty sure I have no use for the Valveking. As for band practice which occurs at my house I was thinking this would work:
Guitar 1 -
Into his line 6
Guitar 2 -
Into my POD into the pa out of the crate cabinet
Bass -
Out of my bass amp obviously

Here are the questions: How well does the POD work through the PA? (Not tonally just functionally. My pa has 2 stereo outs and my power amp has 4 inputs so im thinking like shouldn't I be able to use one stereo out into the cab and one into a 1x15 which i use for vocals? The power amp has one stereo out so I would pan the input/output for the 4x12 to the left and the 1x15 would use the right side of the power amp's stereo out)

Lol. Number 2. Any disadvantages to not having a real amp besides tone preference??

Number 3. How much different is the tone from the POD going to be than the tone from the Spider 4?

Number 4. I am aware that the HD500 has no phantom power for microphones, but if I were to record vocals through the pre-amp through a clean channel could I use the xlr output on the pod into my fast track which has a phantom power in it? or would the signal have to go the other way?

And number 5, like I said I am a bass player, How does the bass amp sound on the PODHD500? to my understanding there is just one.
This kills my computer's processor, so I was thinking if I get a better tone at the source I wouldn't have to do so much tweaking. [\quote]

while getting an external processor like the HD500 will alleviate the burdon on your computer's processor, it won't cut too much on 'tweaking' parameters. but you shouldn't have to worry about adjusting buffers and dealing with latency anymore if you are plugging the HD500 directly into your PA

Quote by Walpurgis
Since I never use the Valveking, I was thinking of selling it and buying a POD HD500 (or better depending on what kind of deal I can find). Since I will never be in a situation where I need to play GUITAR live, I am pretty sure I have no use for the Valveking. As for band practice which occurs at my house I was thinking this would work:
Guitar 2 -
Into my POD into the pa out of the crate cabinet

this should work fine. i would like to lend some advice about the crate cabinet though.

is the crate cabinet a guitar cabinet (i am guessing so), or a PA cabinet? if the crate is a guitar cabinet then you would probably bypass the speaker cabinet emulator on the HD500 as it may sound 'unfavorable' playing through a guitar speaker cabinet. if it is a PA cabinet then you may want to use the speaker cabinet emulator on the HD500 for a more guitar-like tone.

Quote by Walpurgis
Here are the questions: How well does the POD work through the PA? (Not tonally just functionally.

it should function just fine. depending on the type of cabinet you have you may want to bypass the cabinet emulation on your HD500 (mentioned above)

Quote by Walpurgis
My pa has 2 stereo outs and my power amp has 4 inputs so im thinking like shouldn't I be able to use one stereo out into the cab and one into a 1x15 which i use for vocals? The power amp has one stereo out so I would pan the input/output for the 4x12 to the left and the 1x15 would use the right side of the power amp's stereo out)

you should be able to make something like that work. it will depend on the PA's functionality and connections. maybe you can post a link of what PA you will be using?

my PA actually has no stereo functionality but it has a 'monitor/main' functionality that i could manipulate to work as you mentioned above. and as for connectors i would guess you have a separate Left and Right output, you'd just send the left out to one cabinet and the right out to another and pan inputs according to which cab you want it to come out of.

Quote by Walpurgis
Lol. Number 2. Any disadvantages to not having a real amp besides tone preference??

not really worth noting. they do sound different, but using a PA on a HD500 is similar to how they set up their amps anyway: preamp -> DSP -> power amp.

Quote by Walpurgis
Number 3. How much different is the tone from the POD going to be than the tone from the Spider 4?

i have heard the HD series is tonally better than standard spider amps. you can also get one of their DT amps designed to work specifically with their HD products if you wanna upgrade in the future.

Quote by Walpurgis
Number 4. I am aware that the HD500 has no phantom power for microphones, but if I were to record vocals through the pre-amp through a clean channel could I use the xlr output on the pod into my fast track which has a phantom power in it? or would the signal have to go the other way?

the XLR jack that you connect a condenser mic to needs to provide the phantom power because it sends it over one of the XLR plugs. so no, you wouldn't plug the condenser mic into the HD500.

the way i would run it (for recording) is to plug the HD500 in the fast track and then plug the mic into the fast track and then use separate tracks in the DAW to record. this will also separate the signals into two separate tracks so it should be better for mixing in this way.

Quote by Walpurgis
And number 5, like I said I am a bass player, How does the bass amp sound on the PODHD500? to my understanding there is just one.

sorry, can't help ya with this one.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by Walpurgis at Aug 20, 2013,
Now the other thing is, the crate cab sounds terrible so would the speaker cab emulator enhance it at all?
Quote by Walpurgis

alright, well you could just bypass the mixer altogether if that could be convenient for you. the output on the HD500 is line level so it can go straight into a power amp and doesn't need a preamp. of course there is nothing wrong with running through the mixer either.

if your PA is stereo and has pan controls then you can separate you signal like you want.

Quote by Walpurgis
Now the other thing is, the crate cab sounds terrible so would the speaker cab emulator enhance it at all?

most likely not, but you can give it a try.

-ae
gumbilicious has pretty much nailed this thread so i'll just give my own personal views.
I used to use a POD XT > Power Amp > Cab and it worked great, everything in one tiny little bean saved room in the car and if we couldn't take my cab to practice I just put my POD straight into the PA, no problems at all.
Eventually I got tired of having all these little bits and bobs and extra wires for something I can just have in one head and I really started craving the sound of a real amp.
A big problem you're going to have is headroom in the PA, if you're pushing vocals through there as well as a guitar you're going to be getting a hell of a lot more feedback from the PA cause the vocals will need to be turned up louder than if they were on their own, I found that out the hard way in the smaller practice rooms we use
Having used real amps and POD, I'd personally stick with what you have now, but there's no denying you can get yourself a brilliant tone out of the POD method, especially with all the different amp sims and FX available
Thanks for your input guys. I am just want to point out that I personally would mainly be using my rig for recording. (using the term rig since I'm unsure of which option to use atm). With the crate cab and the Valveking, I can get volume but tonally it sounds terrible which makes it good for practice with a group, but when I practice by myself or record something I lean toward the Spider 4. Which is why I have a feeling that the pod would better suit me. My PA does not have very much head room and thats a good point so how about this alternative:

Guitar 1 -
Through his line 6 spider 4

Guitar 2 -
Through my hypothetical POD which is plugged into a 45 watt peavey pacer that I have sitting around, which is a guitar amp that is about as ancient as the power amp I mentioned above

Bass - through my 100 watt ampeg combo (instead of a half stack to avoid overpowering the guitars)

and the PA would be used solely for vocals.

The tone through the PACER would probably not be very good, but for practice I'm not sure it matters. the biggest problem would be getting a 45 watt amp to match drums. Granted, I haven't tried it yet. Is there any feature on the pod that serves as a volume boost or a gain boost or a maximizer or something? If the concern is over powering the speaker on the pacer, I have a 60w 1x12 PA cab that I dont use because I don't have enough space for it and the pacer has a line out for a cab.
Have you tried the Valveking through different cabs to see if it is in fact the cab causing problems?

A 45 watt amp should be able to be heard over drums.

On to the HD500, the quality of sound you will be able to get from the unit will really depend on how much time you want to put into learning it. Personally I do not like running mine straight through the PA, it might be user error, but the way I have it set up it is very lacking compared to
running it through my amps, but I also try and use mine more for effects rather than the modeling portions.
well, the valveking does have an effects loop.

you could just run guitar 2 like:

POD -> valveking effects return -> crate cab.

this would just use the valveking's power section, allowing most of the 'tone' to come from the POD. many people using multi-effects do this (or stuff even more complicated)

-ae
I have ran the valveking through my friend's Mesa oversized as well as an old 2x12 that he built that had v30s in it. They both sounded decent. I think i will end up saving and buying the pod and keeping my amp as well. I just borrowed a floor pod from my friend which I understand is completely different but I am going to play with it a bit.