Are GFS Red Active pickups meant for metal? Because they seem to be marketed more for the vintage players. I want to go active eventually, and was thinking about getting SD Blackouts, but if the Red Actives are modeled after EMGs or Blackouts then I'd prefer trying them first. I know the Red Actives won't be the exact same as EMG or Blackouts, but if they are meant for high gain, I'm gonna get em. Here's the site:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/REDactives-Active-Pickup-System_c_445.html
They are generic active pickups.

They are modeled after EMGs, and are marketed as vintage because it sounds cool and has alnico magnets, "very narrow aperture symmetrical coils placement" and are shielded, three things your everyday EMG81/85s have.

They also offer a nice (on paper at least) EQ system, to get up to 22dB of gain, plus clearly the gain offered by the preamp which in fact makes them active pickups.

I'd give 'em a try at least, for I am very satisfied with their passive pickups and would indeed recommend them over most stock ones.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I don't see anything there that indicates that they were designed vintage players. In fact they say "Even if you're a dyed-in-the-wool 'Vintage Pickup Guy', you'll totally dig what the REDactives can do." (emphasis mine)

To me, that means that they're primarily what you'd expect from active pickups - high output, good for metal - that also happen to work for other styles. Heck, in the next sentence they say they have "Tons of gain" which isn't exactly what you'd do if you were making a vintage-oriented active.

It's just marketing, they're trying to grab a portion of the market that doesn't have any competition yet. Nobody's trying to sell actives to the vintage crowd, and it seems like they want to try.
^ I dunno, EMG seem to be pushing their 57/66 or whatever pretty hard on the old school passive-only types.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The fact that I didn't know that those existed until just now means they've been doing a piss-poor job of it

Edit: and now I've found that Duncan makes the "Livewire Classic" in the same vein. Turns out everybody thought this was a good idea, they just seem a bit too ashamed to actually publicize it
Quote by Roc8995
The fact that I didn't know that those existed until just now means they've been doing a piss-poor job if it

Edit: and now I've found that Duncan makes the "Livewire Classic" in the same vein. Turns out everybody thought this was a good idea, they just seem a bit too ashamed to actually publicize it

i lol'd. they are cheap enough to get some for experimentation.

if you go for them, don't forget the pots, etc. and their plug in connector. and cap. that will add up a few more bucks. remember 25k pot, NOT 250k (which may be in a guitar), some people miss the '0' behind it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The strat pups are supposed to sound like strat pups it seems, instead of just being a small humbucker-type thing. I'm kind of interested now.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
You may want to check their Channel on YouTube, they're interesting:
[forbidden link]
[forbidden link]

Also, Dragonfire guitars make active pickups as well. I've not tried them, but I've tried some of their passive ones. Not the best but not bad either, especially if you buy classic-wound instead of over-wound.
[forbidden link]
Well, apparently I'm not allowed to post links, but look for the GFS channel on youtube. They have videos by Carlos Garcia V and Earl Slick.

Go for the videos posted by Carlos Garcia V, I think they're the most representative.

As for Dragonfire Guitars, google them if you haven't already. I've bought threes pre-wired pickguards and they are good. They have some nice "pro prewired pickguards"

=D
GFS is good, Dragonfire sucks
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I got a Dragonfire Screamer and like it