I've more than once seen patched inputs on plexi style amps, or multiple input ones in general.

The guitar straight into a certain input, and then a cable running from say input two, to say input three.

What's that?
What does that do?
Am I mistaking something?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
AFAIK, in Plexi style amps it adds gain because the signal paths are somewhat separated, and plugging into the input of both engages both paths at once.

In newer amps, plugging into both doesn't do anything, it just runs as the "high" input. It doesn't add the "Low" and the "High" together like an old school amp would.

I'm sure someone else can explain that better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you look at a schematic of a plexi, you'll see that each input column goes to one half of a 12AX7. You'll also see that the inputs on each column are tied together.

So when you use a patch cable, you're basically splitting the signal and sending it to both halves of the 12AX7 instead of just one. This ups the gain a bit and just generally changes the character of the amp.

Usually it's called "bridging the channels" or "jumping" or some permutation thereof. Incidentally, the reason you don't see this on older Fender amps is that their preamp channels are out of phase and would sound funny bridged.
Quote by Spambot_2
I've more than once seen patched inputs on plexi style amps, or multiple input ones in general.

The guitar straight into a certain input, and then a cable running from say input two, to say input three.

What's that?
What does that do?
Am I mistaking something?

on my JTM45 clone it allows me to use both channels at once, i can balance the normal and bright channels using their respective volume knobs.

as mentioned earlier you can also get more gain. colin's post has the technical answer it seems.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I do it on my JTM45 too. One is a bright input and the other is a normal one. With the inputs bridged I can balance out the two (they have separate volume controls) until I get the tone I want - just like gumbi.

On a somewhat related note. The classic 18W Marshall has two inputs (high and low) where the high input effectively is both inputs bridged. It gives a thicker sound. Same idea as bridging the inputs with a jumper but it's done internally by a switch on the jack.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification