Just like the title says. I do mostly brit metal and some thrash, but my clean EQ tends to be different from my distorted ones, which is why I need the independent EQ. Ideally I'd like the amp to have presence, maybe (footswitch-able) reverb. This is honestly if I decide/have to go cheaper than my other options.

So far I've looked at the 6505 112, and valveking 212. Please list what else I should look at (sort of more interested in that).

EDIT: To be a bit more specific, I'm looking for a combo
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 20, 2013,
The 6505+ and Valveking are both great options.

I'd add Jet City, maybe the JCA2212. 20 watt combo, two channels, about $500 new but you could get it in your budget used. Also, the Peavey Ultra Plus is easily in your budget. It's discontinued though, so you'd have to find it used. Good luck!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-ULTRA-LIGHT-PLUS-120W-109074083-i3241096.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA2212C-20W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-H76847-i2055964.gc
Playing with a drummer, or no?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ultra plus is a head; only reason I didn't list the combo is because it's got 3 channels. And I'd rather have the 2 separate Eq. Thanks though.

And in all likeliness I will be looking to play with a drummer, Offworld
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Then +1 to the Jet City, but I'd look for the 50W combo, not the 22W.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Then +1 to the Jet City, but I'd look for the 50W combo, not the 22W.

I'm stubbornly sticking to the independent EQ concept. What's the idea behind "jet city 50W+drummer"?
Why not find a X100B Carvin head? Independent EQ and beautiful cleans.

Edit: I just saw that you were looking for a combo. I still think a Carvin with the assignable graphic EQ would work. It also has a switch for 25/50/100 watts.
Last edited by Frrrnfz at Aug 20, 2013,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I'm stubbornly sticking to the independent EQ concept. What's the idea behind "jet city 50W+drummer"?

Headroom. If you're playing with a drummer and you want cleans, 20W aint gonna cut it in most cases. In some cases even 50W won't cut it, but I'm just assuming you're playing with a normal drummer, not King Kong.

The JCA5212RC has separate EQs. Your call on if you want to deal with a 212 or not. Normally I would never recommend a 212, but given your budget there aren't a lot of options that will do what you want better than that amp.

That said the 6505+ 112 wouldn't be a terrible choice. It just wouldn't really be geared toward your needs. Dirt too American.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Ultra plus is a head; only reason I didn't list the combo is because it's got 3 channels. And I'd rather have the 2 separate Eq. Thanks though.

And in all likeliness I will be looking to play with a drummer, Offworld

Was also gonna suggest this. I've got the Ultra+ and I love it. The clean isn't bad, and although it's a 3 channel and not 2, the overdrive/lead channel share an EQ (with separate volume and gain knobs). Plus, the Ultra's overdrive channel is moderately similar to a 5150/6505. Not quite as much gain on tap, but still plenty and it sounds nice.

You can find them used for anywhere from $300-$500, typical right down the middle though.
Quote by SMB13
Was also gonna suggest this. I've got the Ultra+ and I love it. The clean isn't bad, and although it's a 3 channel and not 2, the overdrive/lead channel share an EQ (with separate volume and gain knobs). Plus, the Ultra's overdrive channel is moderately similar to a 5150/6505. Not quite as much gain on tap, but still plenty and it sounds nice.

You can find them used for anywhere from $300-$500, typical right down the middle though.

+1 you would have three channels. one clean with full EQ, and channel two and three that share a second EQ, its not any different than having a gain boost on the amp.

you could look at it as 'good cleans and a very flexible OD.' you have two OD's so think of the seond as a bonus or use it as a boost.

just because you buy an amp with a lot of features, doesn't necessitate that everything needs to be used.

my $.02
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You can occassionally find a JCM2000 401 for $400 on Guitar Center's used site. 40 watts might be sort of kind of pushing it for a drummer, but it matches your styles very well.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
You can occassionally find a JCM2000 401 for $400 on Guitar Center's used site. 40 watts might be sort of kind of pushing it for a drummer, but it matches your styles very well.

I tried one out, granted with an LP with vintage-ish PAF's as opposed to my guitar. Sounded muffled, like it didn't quite cut through even with the treble cranked. I sort of attribute this to the pickups, but the amp does not have a presence knob, so that probably had the bigger effect.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I tried one out, granted with an LP with vintage-ish PAF's as opposed to my guitar. Sounded muffled, like it didn't quite cut through even with the treble cranked. I sort of attribute this to the pickups, but the amp does not have a presence knob, so that probably had the bigger effect.

Thats why you should bring your guitar. Where were the mids? I don't really think you gave it a real shot.

You would do much better if you saved more cash.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Aug 20, 2013,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Thats why you should bring your guitar. Where were the mids? I don't really think you gave it a real shot.

You would do much better if you saved more cash.

The mids were cranked cuz I was doing maiden. I spent a good half hour working it, both with an LP AND a jackson with actives. I don't really think you were there when i tried it. Still, I'll be giving it another shot. The store the DSL's at also has both VK combos, so I'll be heading there anyway.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
The mids were cranked cuz I was doing maiden. I spent a good half hour working it, both with an LP AND a jackson with actives. I don't really think you were there when i tried it. Still, I'll be giving it another shot. The store the DSL's at also has both VK combos, so I'll be heading there anyway.

They are completely different in tone el84 and 6L6 , but i do not think that a valve king would do you any better. They are a lot better modded although I have not done it myself.

Also some 401's have some heat issue with the rectifier.

I modded a blue voodoo and it made it a lot better. I paid $220 parts are pretty cheap if you can find the pots.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the one you tried had shitty tubes. A new set of JJ's and they come to life.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the one you tried had shitty tubes. A new set of JJ's and they come to life.

+1. Some items sit in the same place that dont get purchased for quite a while. Likely shitty stock tubes
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Does the DSL401 even have EL34s? I'm not a fan for one, they are not the same beast that the heads are. That's why I recommend the DSL40C, sure it kind of sucks, but at least it's a combo form of the DSL, rather than what the gimped out DSL 401/201s are.

It's not surprising to me that some have underwhelming experiences with them.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
DSL401's have EL84's. Cranked EL84's sound great. That's the only way to run a 401 - dimed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
DSL401's have EL84's. Cranked EL84's sound great. That's the only way to run a 401 - dimed.

You run all amps like that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
True.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
but i do not think that a valve king would do you any better. They are a lot better modded although I have not done it myself.

Had a VK. Bought it new and modded it... more trouble than it's worth, really, and the stock tone was meh. At least, for the sounds you're going for. Just personal opinion though.