It's been awhile UG, but I thought I would post a quick song I got down on guitar pro. Obviously, it will sound much with vocals and a proper recording. But I dig this one! And it's fun to play.

Now without further ado:
Attachments:
aebtr.gp5
no offense but i wouldnt post much metalcore here...at all lol. i wont be able to give a very good review seeing as how i basically despise metalcore, but i must say this isnt too bad for a metalcore song. fits the genre well

the riff starting on measure 65 is too repetitive

also, i mean i get its metalcore, but dont be like everyone else and treat bass like an accessory. bass is a necessity, so make it interesting. you know, not a total guitar-following puddle of feces
Well, here comes a bit of what I would think could make it better.

First of all, the intro riff is good, I wouldn't touch that at all. It's great, catchy and you can really bounce to that.
Second, after the "Intro breakdown" if you can call it that, you have whaat sounds like a verse riff. When that gets harmonized at measure 33 it would make a cool variation if you just put the snare on 2 and 4 instead of just 3.
The chorus-like part is okay, it would be great with vocals.
The part that starts at 65 have way too many repetitions, cut it quickly gets boring.
The lead riff that starts at 90 would be great if you harmonized it the second time around (from 98).
The rest is cool, so that's cool.

So as it is now, there are some flaws here and there I could think better but it's a good one anyway, although a bit generic but that's hard not to do in that genre anymore.
LOOK!

At the post above this signature

Quote by Floods_Solo
Lol. If insomniac's were called something less cool like "cock lords" or something I bet there would be significantly less people claiming to be it.
Quote by ninja.kitty
Got it. In the future, I'll only post genres that you like.

When he said you shouldn't post much metalcore here he meant due to the community itself. Me and others are sick of run of the mill metalcore pieces, still stuck on genericness and 2006. And that said, this isn't too bad. Yes it's generic and the breakdowns were a bit dreadful, it's pretty ok for the genre. Not that I like it or anything.
I like metalcore....
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I thought it was catchy and you have a somewhat unique style but like everyone else said, it's only staying in the bounds of the genre. While I thought your style of riffing was different, the song followed a typical metalcore structure and used generic metalcore nuances; the guitars are always either harmonizing each other in thirds (I believe..), playing the same thing, or one is playing chords in the background, and the bass never deviates from the guitars either.The riffs felt kinda linear and the song felt all over the place; My suggestion is to layer the instruments. You get a more full sound and the song feels more cohesive. You can go far with 2-3 simple ideas by layering and variation. Your song had too many riffs that had minimal relation to each other and just when I was getting into one section it would be over.
I think the consensus here isn't that we hate metalcore, but the clichés attached to it. Slaughter riffs with Maiden harmonies, interchangeable breakdowns, and chorus-centered good-cop/bad-cop songwriting. But there's some stuff in here that breaks away from that, like bar 44 or that little bit of extra syncopation in bar 19.
Quote by Ometh
When he said you shouldn't post much metalcore here he meant due to the community itself. Me and others are sick of run of the mill metalcore pieces, still stuck on genericness and 2006. And that said, this isn't too bad. Yes it's generic and the breakdowns were a bit dreadful, it's pretty ok for the genre. Not that I like it or anything.

thank you ometh for clearing that up

yeah, im not saying cater to what we like. if you like writing metalcore, then by all means do so. im just saying theres not too many people on here that like metalcore, so assuming you even get many views, most of them wont be very positive. just a warning
In Ometh's defense, again, we don't like metalcore because there's a certain minimum of effort that you have to put into songwriting for people to like it, and most bands just do that and stop. Since this is a forum for songwriting and feedback on songwriting, we don't take kindly to that. Bare-minimum metalcore might still get the crowd moshing, but here, it's considered stale.
I liked your song but I like metalcore a bit faster. It's personnal taste so if you consider it or not... Song structure is not my specialty but I felt it could use some adjustements because to me it's just a pile of riffs. Maybe building something up to the chorus would be nice because after a while nothing stands out from your song. Then again it's just the opinion from a dude on the internet.
I have to agree with everybody else here, kitty. It's all well written and put together, but it's stuck in the confines of a genre that's been too big for too long. You've done well here, but you need to move on to something bigger than The Devil Wears Prada from 6 years ago if you want to get people listening to it. Especially other musicians.
Metalcore is master race. I'm sick of djent and prog too when it's done wrong.

A good song is a good song. Just because a lot of bad songs are metalcore doesn't mean metalcore sucks, it means whoever wrote them does.
Quote by Drapte

A good song is a good song. Just because a lot of bad songs are metalcore doesn't mean metalcore sucks, it means whoever wrote them does.

as one of the biggest, if not the biggest prog guy here, there is no "wrong" prog lol; theres only prog the particular listener is not fond of, or generic people trying too hard to be prog, in terms of "bad" prog
Last edited by pAWNlol at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by pAWNlol
as one of the biggest, if not the biggest prog guy here, there is no "wrong" prog lol; theres only prog the particular listener is not fond of, or generic people trying too hard to be prog, in terms of "bad" prog

Same with metalcore b-ro
Quote by Drapte

Whatever you say, Metalcore Hitler.

Like I said before, metalcore trends towards formulas more than a lot of other genres, and has a higher quotient of amateur bands with no songwriting chops, who can't write a memorable riff. It's just easier to write a mediocre, but acceptable, metalcore song and have people praise you for it. Done right, it can still be great. I'm not arguing about djent, though; it's the new metalcore.

This has kind of turned into a general metalcore thread (we're not bashing the song), but tbh, TS was kind of asking for it with the (I know).
Quote by Cavalcade
Whatever you say, Metalcore Hitler.

Like I said before, metalcore trends towards formulas more than a lot of other genres, and has a higher quotient of amateur bands with no songwriting chops, who can't write a memorable riff. It's just easier to write a mediocre, but acceptable, metalcore song and have people praise you for it. Done right, it can still be great. I'm not arguing about djent, though; it's the new metalcore.

This has kind of turned into a general metalcore thread (we're not bashing the song), but tbh, TS was kind of asking for it with the (I know).

It's like listening to the lil wayne and saying rap sucks that anyone can make sound good.

I think it's ignorant to bash a genre imo. I don't listen to the bands that can't make original stuff. Stupid really, theres a million terrible bands that sound the same in every genre.
Quote by Drapte
It's like listening to the lil wayne and saying rap sucks that anyone can make sound good.

No it's not. Read my post again, and if you're still sticking with that analogy, you'd better be ready to justify it.
Quote by Drapte
Stupid really, theres a million terrible bands that sound the same in every genre.

Then metalcore has two million. And why do you think that is?
Quote by Drapte

LOL metalcore is not the master race. This is coming from someone who enjoys a fair bit of it. Most metalcore IS formulaic and generic but I agree with the rest of your post. There are some solid metalcore bands that manage to shine through the over saturated scene of bands who play nothing but breakdowns and pedal tone riffs.
If anything, I find most djent to be as generic as it gets but it doesn't receive nearly as much hate on this forum. That fad has run dry of innovators a long time ago and is slowly but surely dying.
Quote by Cavalcade
No it's not. Read my post again, and if you're still sticking with that analogy, you'd better be ready to justify it.

Then metalcore has two million. And why do you think that is?

Because you're taking a mainstream example of horrendousness and applying it to an entire genre

You know nothing about metalcore clearly

Quote by nikolazjalic
LOL metalcore is not the master race. This is coming from someone who enjoys a fair bit of it. Most metalcore IS formulaic and generic but I agree with the rest of your post. There are some solid metalcore bands that manage to shine through the over saturated scene of bands who play nothing but breakdowns and pedal tone riffs.
If anything, I find most djent to be as generic as it gets but it doesn't receive nearly as much hate on this forum. That fad has run dry of innovators a long time ago and is slowly but surely dying.

Lol, metalcore is master race is a joke but anyway, Solid metalcore bands are hard to find but when you do in my opinion it's some of the best heavy music imaginable. I like metalcore because of it's melodic value and ability to turn things heavy while remaining catchy.

I probably said some shit I shouldn't have but so would you when ppl are attacking your favourite genre of music assuming that you are stupid for listening to it.

I like good bands, I don't listen to Like Moths to Flames and Woe is Me, but if some body does I still have nothing against it.

My favourite album is an album called "City of Vultures by Rise To Remain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ijsaI0zBJk

^^^That is why I love metalcore.
Wow this thread exploded, haha.

I admit this song isn't the pinnacle of my musical talent. It was just has a lot of energy, and not as much layering and building up in it. I do admit that there are parts that I need to change, like the second verse. I just haven't thought up anything better yet. I posted a raw version to see what was right with the song, and maybe some feedback on HOW I could make those parts that aren't as good, better.

Maybe I was a bit snippy with my first comment, haha. But I like to just write, and not try to stick to any genre lines. Some days I'll be completely experimental. Some days I like to just write something consistent and up-beat. If I write something catchy, I don't care if it's "generic." I like my music to leave an impression. I can showcase my musical talent in other areas. But sometimes, simple (generic) parts paints a picture much better then some complex, mind-bending riff ever will.

Also, a majority of the time riffs just sound awful on Guitar Pro compared to live recordings. But oh well! Thanks for the feedback everyone.

EDIT: If you guys wanted to see my other capabilities as well:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31829300#post31829300
Last edited by ninja.kitty at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by Drapte
Because you're taking a mainstream example of horrendousness and applying it to an entire genre

You know nothing about metalcore clearly

"Metalcore" has become a label for the countless bands that mix Gothenburg riffing, cheesy harmonies, and breakdowns. Since that's the most commonly accepted definition, that's what I'm using.

The Gothenburg plus breakdowns formula isn't terrible. Sometimes, it leads to something simple, accessible, and decently heavy in the right proportions. But if the band's songwriting chops aren't up to par, you know what happens.

The volume of bland, interchangeable bands has turned "metalcore" into an insult. If someone says their tab is "metalcore", do you think they'll sound like Rise To Remain? Or For Today?

This thread has evolved into a debate about metalcore, but it started with a "Gothenburg and breakdowns" song.

And being condescending doesn't help. You're not a jazz connoisseur, you're white-knighting metalcore on a guitar forum.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by Cavalcade
"Metalcore" has become a label for the countless bands that mix Gothenburg riffing, cheesy harmonies, and breakdowns. Since that's the most commonly accepted definition, that's what I'm using.

The Gothenburg plus breakdowns formula isn't terrible. Sometimes, it leads to something simple, accessible, and decently heavy in the right proportions. But if the band's songwriting chops aren't up to par, you know what happens.

The volume of bland, interchangeable bands has turned "metalcore" into an insult. If someone says their tab is "metalcore", do you think they'll sound like Rise To Remain? Or For Today?

This thread has evolved into a debate about metalcore, but it started with a "Gothenburg and breakdowns" song.

And being condescending doesn't help. You're not a jazz connoisseur, you're white-knighting metalcore on a guitar forum.

You're an elitist ****wit I wish to speak to you no further.

You have no idea on my musical education either.
Quote by Cavalcade
If someone says their tab is "metalcore", do you think they'll sound like Rise To Remain? Or For Today?

I don't care what someone says idiot. The fact you blanket an entire genre is embarrassing for you.
Well, so much for you not being a turd. Fair enough. I just want to point out that these two sentences:
Quote by Drapte
You're an elitist ****wit I wish to speak to you no further.

You have no idea on my musical education either.

look hilarious next to each other.
Quote by Cavalcade
Well, so much for you not being a turd. Fair enough. I just want to point out that these two sentences:

look hilarious next to each other.

ok dude
Well this has been fun. I'll just keep standing here with an awkward half-smile, looking back and forth between both of you.
Quote by ninja.kitty
Well this has been fun. I'll just keep standing here with an awkward half-smile, looking back and forth between both of you.

seriously lol im just sitting back here like "i like prog" lol
Quote by pAWNlol
seriously lol im just sitting back here like "i like prog" lol

Prog?

Intro riff is pretty cool. Maybe add some gallops to the verse riff to give it a bit more power, as well as a lead melody over the chorus. Just some ideas.

Also, the drapte dude is trolling you, so stop replying to him. I've already reported him for flaming, so there's nothing left to say on that matter.

As for what's Metalcore and if it's good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIB9Cai5kZ4

That's a pretty good Metalcore song.
Quote by Morphogenesis26

As for what's Metalcore and if it's good?

songy

That's a pretty good Metalcore song.

That's a different kind of metalcore but yes Converge is great and anyone who says otherwise is a poopie head
Quote by Ometh
That's a different kind of metalcore but yes Converge is great and anyone who says otherwise is a poopie head

It's OG Metalcore, dawg. Representin'!