Hey everybody,

I have few problems, and write with hope that somebody can help me there.
At first i play guitar for 1 year, to be honest i wasted over 7-8 months for pointless playing song. Since some time i practice everyday. And have few problems.
My biggest weakness is:

- Downpicking - For example obviously master of puppets.
- Alternate picking - For example angel of death.
- Triplets - For example riff from raining blood, you know which for sure

I practicing it everyday, and nothing improves. I have no idea what to do with this.
My guitar if thats matter is schecter demon-6, and picks are tortex green and orange ones, i find it easier to play metal with orange ones but well, it doesnt sound that heavy.
Any advices how to practice downpicking, alternate and triplets?

Thats how i hold my pick:
(Invalid img)
Last edited by szanks at Aug 21, 2013,
You've only been playing a year.. Seems like you're being a bit too hard on yourself. I don't see how practicing songs is pointless either.
And your biggest weaknesses are pretty much every technique I'd imagine. Given you've only been playing a year i wouldn't say any of your techniques are all that great. Usually I'd elaborate more on posts but I'm feeling extra grumpy today haha
Honestly i feel like the best advice you're gonna get will be from posting a video. Pretty much every technique you've listed i consider myself to excel at.
I'll give you a brief summary of how i think you can improve on those 3 listed techniques..

Downpicking - Economy of motherf*cking motion.
I have a good friend who's a pretty damn average guitarist always ask me how i got so good and fast at downpicking. I played with him and analyzed his technique and him and most other people who can't downpick do full spasms with their picking hand basically. You will never improve your speed at downpicking if you don't reduce your picking movement. This comes with practicing slowly and relaxed. Master of Puppets is actually a relatively easy song to downpick and a good place to start. But start off slow and keep your picking movement to a minimum. Tensing up and going full ****** with your hand wont make you any better.

Alternate Picking - Discipline
I used to be a huge economy picker for a good 2 years and never fully understood proper alternate picking. My best recommendation for improving alternate picking is from now on ANY riff you play.. alternate pick it. And really focus on properly alternate picking it. My favourite thing to do is grab a standard arpeggio shape such as a G chord or A chord or anything and most beginners when they're asked to turn it into a simple ascending and descending arpeggio will just pick down when descending and up when ascending, kind of like sweep picking because it's simply easier. Try playing a G chord though but strictly alternate picking. Most beginners will find they can't actually do it and it really stumps them. Now try playing a G chord but with some string skipping involved and strictly alternate picking etc.
Really it's just all discipline. You can't just play a lick and alternate pick half then economy pick the last half because it's easier. Alternate pick EVERYTHING you play. Down, Up, Down Up. I don't care if you're doing a 3 string skip, alternate pick it anyways.
Discipline discipline discipline.
If you wanna improve your speed slow down etc.

Triplets/Galloping - Rhythm and economy of motion
Triplets i think are similar to downpicking. It's important to keep a sense of rhythm when practicing your galloping and the same rules of economy of motion apply too. Don't go full ****** and tense up like most people do. It's not gonna help.

Sorry my answers might be a bit blunt and need further explanation etc but as i said initially i'm pretty grumpy today. **** uni.
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 21, 2013,
Well, thanks for your post. Helps a lot.
You're probably so much right, my every technique sucks. After just 1 year. And when i said i wasted time learning songs - it was like knowing few tunes and playing em in very bad way.
( For example sloppy alternate picking master of puppets.. )
And about my techniques, i probably have few strenghts - i find it easier to play stuff like turkisch march, vivaldi - summer, Steve Vai or Satriani somewhat hard licks, or not too hard solos than decent metal riffs.
Anyway i would be happier if i could play every pantera or slayer riff. And i gonna definitly reach it.

Btw: What about picks, should i stick with 0.88 for metal or i can play with lighter ones like orange
Last edited by szanks at Aug 21, 2013,
Not sure about Satriani but Vai uses a lot of Legato so that could be the reason why you find it easier to play then metal, especially bands like Slayer that require good right hand technique.

After only 1 year of playing i used to practice everything too fast. Once I realized i need to slow down and practice so that every note sound good, that's when i improved my technique the most. So try slowing down.

Also do you feel any strain in either of your hands/arms while playing?
Hm, i just feel that my hand get blocked. When i try to play something what i can play my hand just blocks
Quote by szanks
Well, thanks for your post. Helps a lot.
You're probably so much right, my every technique sucks. After just 1 year. And when i said i wasted time learning songs - it was like knowing few tunes and playing em in very bad way.
( For example sloppy alternate picking master of puppets.. )
And about my techniques, i probably have few strenghts - i find it easier to play stuff like turkisch march, vivaldi - summer, Steve Vai or Satriani somewhat hard licks, or not too hard solos than decent metal riffs.
Anyway i would be happier if i could play every pantera or slayer riff. And i gonna definitly reach it.

Btw: What about picks, should i stick with 0.88 for metal or i can play with lighter ones like orange

If you are going to make a change you want to go heavier, thicker picks give you more control and a better attack because they don't flex as much. I know Dimebag Darrell used the green tortex picks but I personalyl think anything lighter is going to be a bit to flimsy.

Your hand probably isn't "blocking", it's most likely your brain - sounds to me like you're over-reaching and trying to play stuff too quickly before you know it well enough and before you're technique is up to scratch. Your hand is stopping because you don't actually know what it's supposed to be doing next.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by szanks

This is debatable. There are oustanding players who use very thin picks and others who don't. It's whatever works for you. I used to use something like shitty Dunlop gel 0.8 or some shit for about 2 years. I eventually changed to Gator Grip 2mm and I've been using them ever since which is coming close to 3 years or so. Best picks I've ever used and i see no reason to ever change. This is what works for me.
Andy James recommends using a very thick pick with a good grip for metal and shredding etc. If you don't know who Andy James is then you're missing out haha. Regardless of what myself and a professional such as Andy James recommend though it is still down to the individual.
Try out a bunch of different picks for a couple days at a time. When i made the change to my gator grip it felt so weird for a few days and i was like man why am i doing this. I'm so glad i stuck with them though and kept using them because they're phenomenal. Don't play with a pick for 5 minutes then be discouraged because it feels weird. It will feel weird no matter what pick it is, but try out a few, stick with them for a while and there will be one sooner or later that resonates with you and you'll then know THAT'S THE PICK.
EVERY TIME SOMEONE REFERS TO GALLOPING AS "TRIPLETS" GOD KILLS A KITTEN!
2 KITTENS DIED IN THIS THREAD SO FAR!

I will pretty much just keep this short.
Since you are just 1 year into guitar playing, I'd strongly recommend you get a teacher to show you the very basics.
It's so easy to develop really bad habits and poor technique starting out with no help, so having a teacher that can point these things out for you will save you from having to relearn things in a couple of years down the line when you realise your technique limits you.

If nothing else, I'd go with what vayne92 first said... post a video.
A video of you playing will give everyone here a good idea of where you're at technique wise, and you will get much more specific advise as opposed to all the generic (good advise still, just very generic) you will get in this thread based on your initial post.

I understand that it can be intimidating putting yourself out there when you're just starting out, but it's really the best way if you want some more specific help. We've all been beginners and know what it's like.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
If nothing else, I'd go with what vayne92 first said... post a video.
A video of you playing will give everyone here a good idea of where you're at technique wise, and you will get much more specific advise as opposed to all the generic (good advise still, just very generic) you will get in this thread based on your initial post.

I understand that it can be intimidating putting yourself out there when you're just starting out, but it's really the best way if you want some more specific help. We've all been beginners and know what it's like.

This.
You're posting in a Guitar Techniques forum so we're here to help (most of the time). This isn't The Pit so noone is going to flame you. We've all been a beginner once so we know what it's like to suck, and the best part is that even great players still think they suck.
I did video but just cant upload. I tried but my phone dont let me transfer stuff on pc, idk why.
Anyway, i realized how much i suck. And going to practice, practice, practice.

I'll do some good practice routine and stick with it for few hours a day.
Quote by Shor
EVERY TIME SOMEONE REFERS TO GALLOPING AS "TRIPLETS" GOD KILLS A KITTEN!
2 KITTENS DIED IN THIS THREAD SO FAR!

THINK OF THE KITTIES!

Even metalheads love kitties, see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPvH9M4ZHO0
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
@up
Decent spam. But do it in other thread.
I said "triplets" bcoz Ian Scott said it the same way so i though it was right.
Quote by szanks
@up
Decent spam. But do it in other thread.

No
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.