Hey guys,

I've written lyrics for a song about something that means alot to me. I really really want to turn it into a proper song.

I have a passion for Melodic Death Metal. I'm more of a rhythm guitarist than lead but i can still play lead parts for songs. My trouble is finding melody for my song. My lyrics are quite dark and therefore want the overall sound of this song to be also dark like how Dark Tranquility, Insomnium and Ominium Gatherum sound.

I know the rhythm and the bass will be easy to come up with but i want the melody and the lead guitar first before i do anything else if you know what i mean.

Any help?
Thanks!
Advice, go out for a walk. Empty your head and start singing melodies/in your head or out loud. Record the ones you find promising on your phone. It's easier to get a stream of consciousness when you're active that way.

Edit: Also, a melody shouldn't be forced. It's something which should come out naturally. It's almost like a feeling, which should be captured right away. Also, I think this is the wrong thread dude.
Last edited by Eccer at Aug 21, 2013,
Quote by Eccer
Advice, go out for a walk. Empty your head and start singing melodies/in your head or out loud. Record the ones you find promising on your phone. It's easier to get a stream of consciousness when you're active that way.

Edit: Also, a melody shouldn't be forced. It's something which should come out naturally. It's almost like a feeling, which should be captured right away. Also, I think this is the wrong thread dude.

Ill try that. Sounds like a really good idea. And how is this in the wrong thread haha?
Never mind, yeah i saw the actual thread for this kind of post. Oops my bad, didn;t see it before :P
Study the melodies from your favourite songs and artists and try to figure out why they work so well, and why other choices might not work so well.
Another tip is to listen to/play the instrumental parts and just try and sing over them, this will help give you a more natural way of doing it.
maybe try writing an additional guitar melody over what you have, and just sing that? Finding/creating melody is by far the hardest part for me. What I'm doing at this point is just experimenting with as many possibilities as I can. Another could be to write it away from the instrument. Like maybe record your song to a disc and just drive around for a few hours with it on repeat and see what happens. Also, try and work the melody around what you already have so that they aren't fighting eachother if that makes sense.

Hope I helped. I'm still pretty bad at this, so just take what I said with a grain of salt.
Remember to use the appropriate forums for topics such as this. Songwriting & Lyrics is for original textural work only.