Page 1 of 2
So, i recently bought an expensive 100 watt guitar half stack but my band is just starting to use mixers and pas and such. However, i still want to use my amp. Is there a way, other than micing, to control my amp with a mixer? And by control i mean volume, bass, mid, and treble.
Quote by Arisk97
So, i recently bought an expensive 100 watt guitar half stack but my band is just starting to use mixers and pas and such. However, i still want to use my amp. Is there a way, other than micing, to control my amp with a mixer? And by control i mean volume, bass, mid, and treble.

will you be able to control your amp's controls via a mixer? most likely not.

if you want to control an amp's parameters via an external device i'd recommend some kinda digital simulation on a computer using a control interface. but that suggestion is far from what you were originally asking.

some amps do have some midi controllable parameters (some can even store switchable presets/patches), but that also probably doesn't help you any.

the most straight forward method for 'controlling' you amp with a mixer is run you guitar into the amp, then mic the guitar cabinet and run that to the mixer. i know you said you didn't wanna mic it, but you can also run a line out (if available) or a DI box in some form to run right into the mixer (some load boxes have line outs as well). i would still prefer to mic it.

technically this doesn't 'control' the amp at all, it just lets you run it as another track on the mixer so you have more control over the mix in the mains.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 21, 2013,
Up for the micing thing, which is actually the only way to use both your amp and a mixer.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ok, i figured out a solution, and it saves a lot of cash. Rather than buying monitors, we are all going to use our amps as monitors and mic them. Its just a shame that i wont be able to crank the monster live anymore lol.
Quote by Arisk97
Ok, i figured out a solution, and it saves a lot of cash. Rather than buying monitors, we are all going to use our amps as monitors and mic them. Its just a shame that i wont be able to crank the monster live anymore lol.

The whole point of monitors is to hear everything on stage more clearly, if you just point your amp at your face all you'll hear is yourself. But to answer your question, most expensive guitar amps have a DI built in. you could go into the mixing desk from there.
Quote by Arisk97

If you have a line out, you can still crank your amp. You can get a THD Hot Plate & set the attenuation to "load" so your amp thinks there's a matched cab there, but it's only a dummy load. The Hot Plate has a line out (as previously stated) that can run your amp's signal at line level to a mixing board. You can tweak or EQ whatever you want on your amp, & it'll go to the board like that. Unfortunately, the only way to hear yourself will be through the PA & monitors, unless you decide to not crank your amp....then you could run an extension speaker from your amp head at a reasonable volume (& correct the impedance because the speaker & Hot Plate together would be like 2 cabs).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Aug 21, 2013,
You could do it by going into the mixer first and then from an auxiliary send of some type from that channel to the amp. Is it a good idea? Not really. As he adjusts the volume it will also change the distortion on the amp. You could also rig it up so that the mixer sits in the FX loop of the amp which would be better but it still sounds like a daft idea because you will still need to send a feed from the amp to the mixer for FoH.
It's best if you have control over your amp and the sound guy has control over FoH only. So just stick a mic in front of the amp like everybody else. There's a good reason we all do it that way. It's an issue of demarcation really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 21, 2013,
i like how all of us (including me) are treating this like 'chess scenario' rather than an arbitrary question.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i like how all of us (including me) are treating this like 'chess scenario' rather than an arbitrary question.

Indeed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Why would you want the mixer to control your amp's EQ?

If you don't mic your amp, you'll lack the sound of your guitar speakers. And speakers are really important to your sound.

Also, why did you buy a 100 watt amp if you just want to crank it up? For cranking up it's better to buy a lower wattage amp because they have less headroom and distort easier at lower volumes.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Funny u mention that cathbard, the rhythm guitarist just suggested that. Could you please explain exactly why the distortion would change with volume.
Quote by Arisk97
Funny u mention that cathbard, the rhythm guitarist just suggested that. Could you please explain exactly why the distortion would change with volume.

it would act pretty much the same way the volume knob on your guitar works. have you noticed when you roll back the volume knob on the guitar it starts to clean up your signal and you lose distortion?

that is the effect cath is referencing. this happens because you are starving signal to the early gain stages of the amp, which tends to keep the signal from clipping so much.

-ae
What gumbi said.

Here's the proper way to do it. Adjust your amp so you can hear it over the drums, you'll never need to be quieter than that. Stick a mike in front of the amp to allow the sound guy to increase your volume in FoH if he needs to. That way you have complete control over your tone (that's your job) and the sound guy controls the FoH mix (that's his job.)
Stop trying to complicate things, it will end in tears.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by riffhog
If you have a line out, you can still crank your amp. You can get a THD Hot Plate & set the attenuation to "load" so your amp thinks there's a matched cab there, but it's only a dummy load. The Hot Plate has a line out (as previously stated) that can run your amp's signal at line level to a mixing board. You can tweak or EQ whatever you want on your amp, & it'll go to the board like that. Unfortunately, the only way to hear yourself will be through the PA & monitors, unless you decide to not crank your amp....then you could run an extension speaker from your amp head at a reasonable volume (& correct the impedance because the speaker & Hot Plate together would be like 2 cabs).

That might work if this was a tube amp.

And using your amp as your monitor is like burning BBQ because its fun.
Quote by Arisk97

What amp?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by gumbilicious
it would act pretty much the same way the volume knob on your guitar works. have you noticed when you roll back the volume knob on the guitar it starts to clean up your signal and you lose distortion?

that is the effect cath is referencing. this happens because you are starving signal to the early gain stages of the amp, which tends to keep the signal from clipping so much.

So it wouldnt sound like shit to do it through the aux?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That might work if this was a tube amp.

And using your amp as your monitor is like burning BBQ because its fun.

I never saw what type of amp it was, other than an expensive half stack.
Re-amping is definitely the schizz for tubes amps, but for anything else, it's moot.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by Arisk97
Solid state, relatively expensive haha

What amp??? For the love of god just say it. We don't know what features it has until you tell us what you are working with
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
^ He has a Marshall MG HDFX Half Stack from what I can tell.

According to this thread below, he was considering going Full Stack by adding a bass cab. The bass cab was to tame all the treble I believe. He was recommended an EQ pedal which is really a good idea.

There are some very interesting posts in this thread including the last one.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1609279

Quote by Arisk97
Solid state, relatively expensive haha

I'm really not sure how to say this without being mean but basically you can **** off. You created a thread wanting to know how to control your amp without a microphone or a PA, but then wouldn't tell anyone what amp you have even after being asked several times. You know what? That wastes a lot of people's time. People that came into this thread to try to help you. Actually, friends of mine that help people tirelessly day in and day out up in this forum. Got it?

Maybe you have some other expensive solid state amp that you purchased in the last month but I doubt it. The MG is really just a bad amp. And the bigger the MG, the worse it becomes. All I can do is hope that your parents gave it to you as a gift or something because it really is a crappy piece of shit, especially for gigging. Again, I'm not trying to be cruel but I waited a few days before I called you out on this hoping you would man up and come clean. You got an 'expensive' solid state Marshall half stack that doesn't sound good and now you want to know how to control it with a mixer but you won't mic it up ?????

My suggestion, if you still care to listen, is to either return it or sell it and get yourself a proper amp. Then, do us a favor and create intelligent threads about your questions and frickin answer the questions that people ask of you. Got it?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
rant

Let the catting begin.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 24, 2013,
Haha relax, relax, i didnt think it mattered, i thought they were only asking what type of amp. My complete set up is: mexican fender strat w hot noisless pickups, a boss gt-100 digital multi fx pedal, a marshall mg100 hcfx. Thats my setup and it works pretty well for me, im not a professional, im just in highschool band trying to have fun and gig a bit. We actually may land a gig at the stone pony, i dont know, its a possiblilty. We currently dont have good sound, but thats because we dont have a sound guy. Now we do and i was just looking for ways not to use a mic because thats just extra money and i wanted to know if there were any other ways.
If you are taking a feed from the guitar before the amp it will sound really shitty if that is you FoH sound. If you take it from the FX loop into the mixer as your FoH sound it will also sound really shitty, slightly better but shitty nonetheless.

Watch this, nobody's bidding on it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Peavey-PVM-45-Instrument-Microphone-/281156112792?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Microphones&hash=item417635d198
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You could have spent your money a lot better. Buying a half stack (no matter what kind of halfstack) always costs a lot of money. For the same price you could have bought a lot better sounding combo. You don't need a 100 watt halfstack to play in a band.

And when I read the first post, somehow I was expecting a Marshall MG. I just had that kind of feeling, lol.

Maybe you would have money for some mics if you had bought something else. I know a halfstack with a Marshall logo looks like but I think it's made just to fool people and attract noobs. You are paying extra for the looks - it's actually an oversized practice amp. Good giggable combo amps can be bought for relatively cheap, especially if you buy used.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I have an expensive half stack...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I always considered mine an inexpensive 3/4 stack.

compared to an MG I guess it aint.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 24, 2013,
I got the 4102 very cheap and then I modded it. I do prefer the SL/X but my DR doesn't sound like your normal DR. Of course though, from that era, the king by far is the 6100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 25, 2013,
Once again, highschool band lol, my definition of expensive and your definition of expensive are two completely different things. My entire setup cost about $2000-$2500. Thats probably nothing compared to your setups but to me thats expensive.
Everything in that photo up there cost half as much as your setup. I'm not exaggerating. You done goofed buying a new MG half stack.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My complete setup cost maybe $1500, and I bought the guitar and amp new.

Actually 90% of musicians aren't rolling in money so $2500 for a setup isn't an acceptable expense. Especially not on an MG.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
TS, if you have already dropped so much on your setup, what's another 80-100 bucks for a good mic?

BTW, I don't see how that setup could have cost that much, even new. I've got a pimpin' setup and it was probably around $1500 everything said and done.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Arisk97
Once again, highschool band lol, my definition of expensive and your definition of expensive are two completely different things. My entire setup cost about $2000-$2500. Thats probably nothing compared to your setups but to me thats expensive.

Oh Jesus Christ. I'm sorry, but $2K could have gotten you a rig that is beyond giggable and would last you decades on the used market. A Peavey Ultra/JSX/XXX/6505 & a Mesa 412 would only set you back $800-1200.

You're right that $2K is a lot of money. Everything in my sig only cost me around $1950. Your money could have gone so much farther.

I'm sorry, because I know this doesn't help you now. But treat this as a learning experience.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My amp was 600 or so. And ya i should've spent my money in a wiser fashion haha.
That Peavey mic is still sitting there unbid on with just over a day to go. I have an old PVM45 that I have used as my amp mike since the 80's even when we had a heap of Shures to choose from. Keep your eye on it. Mine may be a freak but if you can get one cheap it's worth grabbing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 25, 2013,
Still no bids on that mic. It ends today. I hope you are keeping your eye on it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Still no bids on that mic. It ends today. I hope you are keeping your eye on it.

Telecaster through a wide open Marshall 3/4 stack? Hmmmmmmmmm. Mucho Jimmy Pagey.
Who the f#@k does that besides Page? Cath....you are a f#@king animal.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Page 1 of 2