I recently purchase a 120W 2x12 Crate guitar amplifier off Craigslist (I know, I know). However, when I arrived to try it out all the wires were solid, all the functions worked well and it played great for about 20 straight minutes at high volume. Then I drive it to play it at a show and it stops working. It turns on fine but after a few seconds of play it just dies out completely and a quiet buzz can be heard which seems to change tone and the pitch gets higher as it is being turned off. I have no clue what to do but I haven't really had a lot of time to look around at it. Any thoughts? I really appreciate it.
Don't buy used Crate SS guitar amps

If you can work on PCB's then get a schematic and see if you can troubleshoot it. Other than that you need a new amp, unless you want to dump more than it's worth to have someone else try and fix it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah, that happens sometimes. I bought a Marshall DSL last year for $500 and it worked great but the 2-3 time I played it, the power section blew from over heating. I was really lucky my brother is a EE and he fixed it for free + price of tubes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by wjmitchell
@311zosovhjh

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CRAGT212

Crate GT212

@robbgnarly

Yeah I wish I knew. I was really skeptical about buying it, but it played great and I tried everything I could think of to find any of the issues and just nothing seemed to be wrong.

Oh. Yeah. I kind of like the Flexwave actually. But like Robb said - SS amps are pretty hard to diagnose and repair with symptoms like that.

Obviously you can try reaching out to the seller.

I noticed it has an RCA jack for playing along to other music. You could try running something into that to see what you get. You can also use the input on the back to test as well. Maybe it is something simple like an insert jack but again - based on those symptoms it sounds like it is just a dead amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Oh. Yeah. I kind of like the Flexwave actually. But like Robb said - SS amps are pretty hard to diagnose and repair with symptoms like that.

Obviously you can try reaching out to the seller.

I noticed it has an RCA jack for playing along to other music. You could try running something into that to see what you get. You can also use the input on the back to test as well. Maybe it is something simple like an insert jack but again - based on those symptoms it sounds like it is just a dead amp.

Yeah I contacted the seller. He actually responded and I expected him to dodge me. It plays pretty well in the jack on the back but then I have no volume control, reverb, or distortion. I'm gonna pop it open and take a look at how the connections are inside. I had a similar issue with a little 15 W that was just a loose wire from heavy vibrations. I appreciate the help though
I went inside; didn't find anything loose, however, on a whim I unscrewed the right side speaker and left it out while playing. I know it's bad but I figured I might be able to see something mechanically wrong with it. It actually lasted significantly longer before cutting out and when it did cut the downtime was much shorter.