Hi I'm having a little problem with my Aria Strat, I'm trying to remove the buzz of the high e string on the first 3 frets.
I think the problem might be the slot for the nut so I removed it and found something unusual.

Are guitars supposed to have nut slots at an angle?

If not I'm almost certain this is the problem-any suggestions on fixing it? The issue is that i want to bottom of the nut to be higher in this case because the low e end is okay. The high e string tends to hit against the 4th fret when i play anything below 4th fret. In turn to fix this I have to bend the neck and have very high action making it unnecessary difficult to play-I think it's about time I fixed this!

Thanks.

And before someone makes it-
Yes, it IS driving me nuts.
Sounds like a fret issue. If the string is hitting a fret closer to the pickups, while you are fretting, then the nut has nothing to do with it. Unless I misunderstood what you are saying.

Also, the nut may have an angle towards the tuners.
Have you leveled the frets and checked the fret-board to make sure that it is also straight?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Check for high frets perhaps. You mention bending the neck to correct it too, are you sure you might have not warped your neck? To adjust your action you should adjust your bridge, NOT your truss rod.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Unless you're getting buzz on open strings, it's probably not the nut.
Nut string slots are supposed to angle back, so the string rides on the front edge of the nut, making the intonation point the same for all strings.
Have you checked the neck's relief? Maybe the neck's too straight or has a backbow causing the buzz? Good luck.
Last edited by Guitbuilder at Aug 22, 2013,
Look up "fret rocker" and see how it works - it's a tiny straight edge that lays across three frets to see if they are uneven. You can use the edge of a credit card as a cheap alternative. Sounds like fret 4 is high on the treble side. I doubt it is the nut since the problem involves fretted strings, thus eliminating the nut. You'll have to either address the problem at the frets or raise your action.
Cheers everyone,
My original theory was that the nut was too low on the first string which I tried to compensate by making the action very high on that string. I'm starting to highly doubt this theory though as it's looking more like a fret issue which I wouldn't feel comfortable in doing myself-especially considering it's a problem I've been trying to fix since about 6 months of having the guitar.
Originally I fixed the problem by straightening the previously un-straight neck which I know do as a part of setting up my guitars every time I change strings.

Now it looks like a fret problem so I'll probably take it down the local guitar shop. Quite annoying considering I just put 3 new string on it though :@

My latest theory is that it could be the 4th fret being to high but it doesn't look like it is. The necks straight so it can't be that. The bridge is flat and it looks like the nut isn't a problem.
Thanks.
I really have no idea about ohms.
I'm currently building a speaker cabinet at home for an extended project but I'm unsure what ohm speaker I'll need.
What do ohms do? and if i'm plugging a 30w solid state amp into the speaker will the ohms make the difference?
I'll be buying a greenback celestion.
Thanks.
what ohm does you amp say is the minimum Ohms? get a speaker that is rated above that.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
what ohm does you amp say is the minimum Ohms? get a speaker that is rated above that.

Also read up on series/parallel wiring if you'll be using multiple speakers.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.