Page 1 of 2
Hi guys, I have a splawn nitro and a peavey 6505+
I would like to have one amp that does the lot.
Peavey has awesome gain but really bad cleans
Splawn great cleans overdriven marshal like gain but not as tight as the 6505.
I find thr 6505 easier to use at bedroom levels compared to the splawn

So im thinking about a smaller set up head and 2x12
Ive come across the evh mini and the engl iron ball.

Thoughts?
I haven't tried that particular Engl, but I had a 5150 III for a year, & I can't say enough great things about them. Get the 100W if you want 1 amp to do everything.
I sold mine a few years ago because I already had an SLO 100, & I only used the lead channel on the 5150 III. The EVH really does clean, crunch, & OD better than almost anything else out there. The only fault I found with it was its size & weight, but the mini makes that a moot point.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
If the Ironball is anything like the Powerball, I'd pass. Probably one of my least favorite amps I've tried.

The 5150 III Mini covers a lot more ground than your 6505+. If you got it and liked it, you'd probably find it to get a fairly similar distorted sound, and probably end up selling one or the other. That being said, if 100w is too much for your bedroom, 50w isn't going to be much better. 50w is NOT half as loud as a 100w amp.

Honestly though, I wasn't as impressed with the 5150 III Mini as I thought I'd be. I LOVED the original 100w amp, but the 50w didn't really "wow" me. Maybe my tastes have just changed since I last played the 100w (it's been several years), but I still love my Peavey 5150... and I remember them sounding fairly similar, with the 5150 III edging it out in versatility and clarity (while the 5150 sounded more "brutal").

FWIW: I was actually VERY surprised when I tried the Mesa Mini Recto. I generally hate EL84 amps... but man, that amp would be a hard toss-up between it and the older 2 channels. I'd have to A/B them to tell you which I'd prefer. Quite impressed with the Mini and at 20w, it'd do very well at bedroom playing. It's also a totally different sound from your 6505+, which would compliment it well.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Look at the VHT/Fryette Sig:X & the Mesa Mark IV.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm going to echo what most of these guys are saying. If a 100w amp and a 4x12 (I'm assuming) is too much now a 50w amp and a 2x12 isn't going to be all that much quieter.

Also, I'm surprised the Nitro can't be tamed/tweaked more to your liking. Do you have EL34s in there now or KT88s? Have you tried the half power switch? Have you tried a volume pedal/knob in the loop? Have you tried it with a TS or Bad Monkey?

I have not played the 5153 mini but the general consensus seems to be that it is just not as good as its big brother. I adore the 5153 100w. If I were to sell/trade my Splawn - that amp would be on the short list. Still won't give you the rawness and tightness of the 6505.

I think the Mini Rec and the Sig X are good recs though.

Also, to make this more interesting/relevent - consider updating your OP to answer these:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Good luck

If you really want a sick little amp that is bedroom friendly - take a look at the Vypyr 60. The Recto and Diezel models give me a hard on.
Quote by MatrixClaw
If the Ironball is anything like the Powerball, I'd pass. Probably one of my least favorite amps I've tried.

The 5150 III Mini covers a lot more ground than your 6505+. If you got it and liked it, you'd probably find it to get a fairly similar distorted sound, and probably end up selling one or the other. That being said, if 100w is too much for your bedroom, 50w isn't going to be much better. 50w is NOT half as loud as a 100w amp.

Honestly though, I wasn't as impressed with the 5150 III Mini as I thought I'd be. I LOVED the original 100w amp, but the 50w didn't really "wow" me. Maybe my tastes have just changed since I last played the 100w (it's been several years), but I still love my Peavey 5150... and I remember them sounding fairly similar, with the 5150 III edging it out in versatility and clarity (while the 5150 sounded more "brutal").

FWIW: I was actually VERY surprised when I tried the Mesa Mini Recto. I generally hate EL84 amps... but man, that amp would be a hard toss-up between it and the older 2 channels. I'd have to A/B them to tell you which I'd prefer. Quite impressed with the Mini and at 20w, it'd do very well at bedroom playing. It's also a totally different sound from your 6505+, which would compliment it well.

Thanks! well, the 6505+ combo is 60watts and the gain is usable at bedroom levels
Had a look at the mini recto's look pretty good aswell
Slo
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You might be interested in a Mesa Tremoverb if you like the Recto sound
Soldano Lucky 13
Soldano Hot Rod Plus (maybe)
Peters Hydra/Halo
Titan Custom (maybe)
Engl Blackmore or Savage
Peavey JSX (wildcard mention)

If you're after something similar to your 6505 you might try looking into a Framus Cobra. In a nutshell it's a clearer 6505 without the fizz and a legitimate clean channel. Their Dragon might interest you as well

The volume difference between a 100W and 50W amp are miniscule. And the volume of a 20W tube amp is still outrageous when cranked. Usually for higher gain amps you want a large power section to prevent power tube breakup. If a small amp is an absolute must-have.. (I'm not terribly familiar with low wattage high gainers, being it's an oxymoron of sorts)

Mesa TransAtlantic
Mesa MiniRec
One of the Marshall 1W'ers
Jet City JCA22H
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm going to echo what most of these guys are saying. If a 100w amp and a 4x12 (I'm assuming) is too much now a 50w amp and a 2x12 isn't going to be all that much quieter.

Also, I'm surprised the Nitro can't be tamed/tweaked more to your liking. Do you have EL34s in there now or KT88s? Have you tried the half power switch? Have you tried a volume pedal/knob in the loop? Have you tried it with a TS or Bad Monkey?

I have not played the 5153 mini but the general consensus seems to be that it is just not as good as its big brother. I adore the 5153 100w. If I were to sell/trade my Splawn - that amp would be on the short list. Still won't give you the rawness and tightness of the 6505.

I think the Mini Rec and the Sig X are good recs though.

Also, to make this more interesting/relevent - consider updating your OP to answer these:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Good luck

If you really want a sick little amp that is bedroom friendly - take a look at the Vypyr 60. The Recto and Diezel models give me a hard on.

Do volume pedals damage the tubes? If i run it at 100watts put the volume upto 9 and use a volume pedal will it effect the amp?
ASG Hybris - good suggestion. That'd be the perfect amp - and it's money in our friend Craig's pocket.
Forget the SLO, get a Hybris.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I wish I had known about the Hybris whenever I sold my Quick Rod, I wouldn't been all over that shit
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Mrgraeme
Do volume pedals damage the tubes? If i run it at 100watts put the volume upto 9 and use a volume pedal will it effect the amp?

Well, you might wear through tubes a bit faster but it won't damage them.

It is a pretty common 'trick' and talked about a lot on the Splawn proboard.

It is so highly used/desired that Scott actually implemented them permanently on the back of all new Splawns starting in 2010 (roughly I think).

I honestly can't think of a single reason* why you would ever need to turn the volume on a Splawn up over 12 noon. I usually run the volume between 9am - 10am with the preamp between 1pm - 2pm and then IF I used a volume knob I might pull that down to say 8/10.

Pretty much true though for most high gain amps.

An EQ pedal (with a level slider) in the loop is another HUGE tool. Probably more so than anything else brought up so far.

*unless you wanted power tube distortion ala old school plexi style or were gigging on the clean channel with no PA.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 21, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
ASG Hybris - good suggestion. That'd be the perfect amp - and it's money in our friend Craig's pocket.
Forget the SLO, get a Hybris.

+1
Quote by Flux'D
If you're after something similar to your 6505 you might try looking into a Framus Cobra. In a nutshell it's a clearer 6505 without the fizz and a legitimate clean channel

Errrr... Not really the Cobra doesn't really sound anything like a 6505. If anything, its closer to a Recto in tone. Maybe a 6505 mixed with a Recto... But its definitely not any less fizzy than either. In fact, I got rid of mine because it had so much low mids and fizz that it suffered in clarity

Really liked that amp at first, but after the honeymoon period was over, I just wasn't diggin it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I stand corrected then . I've never owned one, I just remember looking into picking up a Dragon for awhile and I read comments about it being a better 5150.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

311 (or anyone), have you actually played a Mini Rec? I haven't, but I imagine that tiny power section would make it loose as hell. Is it not?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Look at the VHT/Fryette Sig:X & the Mesa Mark IV.

Sorry for typos i am from my phone it is acting up.

+1 I have owned both for a year or so solid amps. One thing is that you can get either of them quiet. I can play the Mesa my wife sleeps in the bedroom and sound pretty good quiet, and i also own a nitro and a promod (both kt88) and they do not perform well at all at low volume. Ironically I am looking to pick up a 5150, but may be a month or two out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
311 (or anyone), have you actually played a Mini Rec? I haven't, but I imagine that tiny power section would make it loose as hell. Is it not?

I have not played the Mini yet. MatrixClaw has - and he talks about it up above.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have not played the Mini yet. MatrixClaw has - and he talks about it up above.

Derp. Didn't see that. Very surprising though. Maybe not so much considering it is a Mesa amp, but still... wonder how they swung that with EL84s. I gotta try one out.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

I found it to be far more tight and clear than any 3 channel I've owned.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've had the 5150iii mini for a little over a year and it covers all genres of music at bedroom levels as well as any amp I've owned... From Budda's to Mesa's it's the best all around amp I've owned.
Quote by Ippon
This has been going on for what, 3 weeks? Buy one already.

i hoping it passes.

but my old trusty da5 started shitting the bed on me last night so i think the time is rapidly approaching.

then derek goes off about how uber awesome the mini rec is and i haven't tried one yet but loved the demo vids... gahhhh.....
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I know right? Everytime Derek starts gushing about an amp - my GAS gets all stirred up

except when he goes on about how his 5150 or 6505 or suck1my0whatever he's got is so great then we know he's on the whompass.

Maybe someday I'll post all the new stuff I've gotten recently...

All the gear pictures would fill up one page of a thread by themselves
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Maybe someday I'll post all the new stuff I've gotten recently...

All the gear pictures would fill up one page of a thread by themselves

UG should add a sub-forum under GG&A and call it Derek's Studio.

also i just pulled the trigger on an IRT Studio so shut it Ippon.
Quote by gregs1020

I mean... I'd be cool with it.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by gregs1020
Ippon and Matt should be included as well , Matt's been rolling through some awesome amps lately and Ippon still sits atop the Smithsonian of Badassery
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

TS - sorry for the massive derail, but in all honestly i bought an amp that i think i can recommend but i have to wait to get it at home and try it first.

Quote by Flux'D
Ippon and Matt should be included as well , Matt's been rolling through some awesome amps lately and Ippon still sits atop the Smithsonian of Badassery

true there's a few people that have massive rig syndrome.

dave_mc has a nice assortment as well. was it Viban that has the crazy nice set up too? someone just had a nad thread and had quite the wall of insanely good amps, i thought it was Viban but i'm likely wrong. but the wall was redonkulous.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 22, 2013,
i knew i was wrong.

that's the one, he'd surely qualify for massive rig syndrome.
To be fair, I don't really have a massive rig anymore.

I've sold most of it off to buy my "ideal" pieces and then put the rest into recording gear and camera stuff

I mean... I've only got 3 guitars, 3 basses, 2 guitar amps, 1 bass amp, 2 preamps and 3 cabs, now...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by gregs1020

Pics or it's POD XT.

Quote by MatrixClaw
To be fair, I don't really have a massive rig anymore.

I've sold most of it off to buy my "ideal" pieces and then put the rest into recording gear and camera stuff

I mean... I've only got 3 guitars, 3 basses, 2 guitar amps, 1 bass amp, 2 preamps and 3 cabs, now...

Same ... sold the White Twin Jet and UL so I can get either the OD100 SE plus and/or Aguilar bass cabs.
I'm not about to read all of that, but the main difference in 50W and 100W is when you crank the **** out of it at a concert.

Wait, is that metric or standard watts?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Page 1 of 2