Recently I was given a 40 year old Taylor acoustic (don't know the model) that belonged to my grandfather. The only thing I really know is that it has a 3k-5k value and that I have to get it shipped since its 2k miles away. I don't want the cheapest shipping obviously I want the best shipping. It does have its hard case. How should I go about getting this shipped safely?
there's a big difference between a hard case and a flight case, both in safely and in price. i suggest you insure the heck out of this guitar, preferably the person shipping it will insure it through their own instrument policy like heritage, but you can buy separate insurance through UPS, although it isn't usually easy getting them to pay.

pack it so the neck has padding behind it but not so much as to push it forward. you don't want the body to move around at all in the case. keep in mind that handlers throw these cases, literally, and they may drop down large drops to cement. if you haven't seen it, watch the humorous musical video, united breaks guitars, and keep in mind that isn't fiction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
So other than padding the crap out of it, inside and out, does it make a difference if I use ups, FedEx or usps?
padding it but being sure not to have upward pressure at the top of the neck or behind the headstock, so the padding won't push upward and crack it. there's a lot of debate on the AGF about UPS vs fedex... i've used both, but usually UPS as that's what a guy i know with a store uses.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
FWIW,:

Fedex has a home delivery branch that I believe are independent contractors. I avoid that service like the plague. The last time I dealt with one of them, I had two items coming from two different venders on the same day. The driver handed me one box and asked me to sign. Oddly, it was the little 50 buck pedal from ******* he handed me. The huge $500.00 guitar package he seemed to have forgotten, and I had to ask for it.

I don't want to speculate what would have happened if I signed for just the pedal....

Fedex standard ground delivery employees in Fedex owned & operated trucks seem to be fine.

There is another owner/operator based shipping company that a couple of venders I deal with, (Amazon in particular), called "Lasership", that so far has managed two for two on time and undamaged, at least thus far. Just remembered Newegg is the other.

BUT, at the end of the day, IMHO, UPS is the way to go. My UPS guy never misses (*)(**), and they have offices all over.

(*)He does bitch a bit when he has to deliver "stinky tires" for my motorcycle though....

(**) I'm near the beginning of his route, and I usually have my stuff by noon.

If you're shipping from one large urban area to another within say 200 miles, UPS ground is guaranteed overnight. The same is true of Fedex, at possibly a slightly greater distance.

I live in the New York City > Philadelphia shipping corridor, and can order goods from certain NYC / North Jersey venders in the afternoon of one day, and have the merchandise the next day before noon.

I've never received a damaged product from either Fedex or UPS. I'm off to knock on wood now......g'night.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 22, 2013,
pretty sure my UPS guy snorts Janitor in a Drum in the back of his truck. only reason he would (on 2 separate occasions...really) leave a laptop delivery in my backyard in a rain storm vs all of the other packages he leaves on the covered front porch on sunny days. or when he put a large 60lb box on top of the much smaller, clearly labelled FRAGILE Funky Chunky popcorn delivery( it was the good stuff...chip-zel-pop).
i use fedex whenever possible.
that was a damn funny video patticake...thank you !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
pretty sure my UPS guy snorts Janitor in a Drum in the back of his truck. only reason he would (on 2 separate occasions...really) leave a laptop delivery in my backyard in a rain storm vs all of the other packages he leaves on the covered front porch on sunny days. or when he put a large 60lb box on top of the much smaller, clearly labelled FRAGILE Funky Chunky popcorn delivery( it was the good stuff...chip-zel-pop)....[ ]....
Well, you've said you have too much free time on your hands. So, track your packages and stay home to meet the UPS driver, and/or, call UPS and howl bloody murder when he screws up.

Those guys are very well paid, (quite a bit overworked though), and there's always somebody else willing to do the job.

You can just thank God he was never a Marine, or you'd have, "no package left behind", and you'd have to go to a UPS facility to get them

As I said, I have the opposite experience down here, upstate New York is obviously a different situation. Then too, I don't live in a neighborhood that would support leaving packages outside anyway. In fact, I have to buy parcel insurance with the value estimated in how many bags of crack someone could get for it.

Is it true the drains swirl in the other direction up there...?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 22, 2013,
i track my packages, but often the tracking doesn't change till after delivery. also we've had UPS delivery guys who didn't knock at all, or who must have knocked VERY softly, since i work in the livingroom - they then proceed to leave boxes anywhere they can think of. i have friends who have had their UPS boxes i sent them left in the bushes, behind the porch, in the garage. in those cases, we've generally had to call to find out where they are, 'cause it's often not visible or intuitive.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by patticake
i track my packages, but often the tracking doesn't change till after delivery. also we've had UPS delivery guys who didn't knock at all, or who must have knocked VERY softly, since i work in the livingroom - they then proceed to leave boxes anywhere they can think of. i have friends who have had their UPS boxes i sent them left in the bushes, behind the porch, in the garage. in those cases, we've generally had to call to find out where they are, 'cause it's often not visible or intuitive.
I guess I'm going to have to consider myself very fortunate for living in a terrible neighborhood. I've never had any of these problems, and every time I've carried tracking a package to the day of delivery, I get the massage, "out for delivery", along with a time stamp. (This with either Fedex or UPS).

Disclaimer: I'm not trolling, and no manner nor level of excellence in package delivery service(s), makes up for living in this God forsaken, drug infested, shit hole.