Hey guys,

I'm a bassist and amateur recording engineer, and I need a guitar.

Budget: $300-$400 Australian, pretty firm on that too so don't bother telling me to save and spend $500 or anything.
Favourite Artists: None really
Preferences: I'm not too keen on strat style guitars, but it's not a make or break thing.
Pickups: Preferably after HSH or HH, but would go SSH if it meant a better instrument. Not keen on only one pickup.
New or Used: Probably new, my used market is crap. I have no problem with used though if a good deal comes up.
Current Gear: Not much, my 'guitar amp' will be a bass practice amp and my Digitech BP355.
Other info: I'm after something versatile, but most of my stuff is metal (Asking Alexandria, Blessthefall, Pierce the Veil, Bring Me The Horizon type stuff) or Punk (Green Day -ish, check out my band in my sig to get an idea).
Any idea what kind of guitars you like, shapewise? Can you get to a shop to try stuff out?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Fernandes Guitars' direct sales shop has a few guitars in your price range- here are 2 of several examples:

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/vertigo/33-vertigo-x.html

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/ravelle/30-ravelle-x.html

Make no mistake- those are entry level axes, but Fernandes makes a good product in general.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Klaptrap
Go to a shop yourself.

Everything we tell you is subjective

Just because there's subjectivity doesn't mean you guys can't give me good advice on where to start. I won't have time to go through every guitar in the store, find the ones in my price range, and then try them all so getting advice here could help me build a list of ones that I should try.

Quote by Offworld92
Any idea what kind of guitars you like, shapewise? Can you get to a shop to try stuff out?

I don't really mind about the shape to be honest, strats/superstrats tend to remind me of cheap guitars so I'd prefer something else than that. Otherwise LPs, SGs, misc pointy shapes are all fine by me.
I have a few stores I can go to. I want to purchase from Music Park, but they don't list much of their stock or their real prices online so I don't know what they have without being there. If I were to work out what I want from Kosmic or something then I could probably get MP to order one in anyway (I go there frequently so they do great deals for me).

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Fernandes Guitars' direct sales shop has a few guitars in your price range- here are 2 of several examples:

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/vertigo/33-vertigo-x.html

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/ravelle/30-ravelle-x.html

Make no mistake- those are entry level axes, but Fernandes makes a good product in general.

They don't ship to Aus man

Also I should ask what you guys opinions are on the ESP Viper-50, EC-50, or AX-50 guitars? when we were looking for a lefty for my mate the lefty version of the Viper sounded pretty nice.
Quote by chatterbox272
I won't have time to go through every guitar in the store, find the ones in my price range, and then try them all so getting advice here could help me build a list of ones that I should try.

Not trying to sound rude, but if you don't have time to try out guitars you might like. How do you have time to play guitar?

It might take more than one trip but at least you will get something you like. Someone in the store should be able to help you go through ones in your price range fairly quickly. At this price range for something new it will be entry level anyways.
I used to own a V-50. I'd skip em. LTDs don't really get to the point of decent until 300 IMO. I say this as someone who has owned a V-50, M-200, H-301, MH-400 & EC-1000.

Look for a Epiphone LP Studio.

Can you get Vintage (brand) guitars?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Blackfire.
Not trying to sound rude, but if you don't have time to try out guitars you might like. How do you have time to play guitar?

It might take more than one trip but at least you will get something you like. Someone in the store should be able to help you go through ones in your price range fairly quickly. At this price range for something new it will be entry level anyways.

I'll rephrase then. 1 store could have around 20 guitars in my price range. In a trip, I can probably play 5. I'm not really keen on driving the hour round trip for the next 4 saturdays just to play 15 crap ones and 5 good ones. Whereas if I come here and get suggestions I might be able to narrow that down to 5-10 which if I show them I'm willing to buy on the day they will let me sit in the amp room and play for longer.

Judging from how often I'm in there and the fact I've never heard of Vintage before, probably not. As for the Epi's I'll have a look but from what I can see the only Epi in my price range is the G-310.
Last edited by chatterbox272 at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by Blackfire.

You're new here so I'll just explain. We try to help people, he's given us clear indication of what he wants so we're going to give a honest opinion on a selection of guitars without the bullshit, commission driven attitude of sales assistants. That way he can go into a shop and not look at the wall of a hundred guitars with no guidance.

If you want to help him, don't bother giving advice like the one in bold, it doesn't make much sense.

Chatterbox, I think that something like an Epiphone LP Standard would suit all your needs. They're quite popular so perhaps the used market might fall in your favour.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Aug 22, 2013,
Hey Chatterbox, I'm in Perth also and might have an Epiphone G400 for sale for about $350. It's never been gigged with and hasn't been used much at all (it's not even my #1 practice guitar). It's in very good condition and RRPs for over $500 in Perth. Would you be interested if it was for sale?
::::::Cherry Epiphone Les Paul Standard Custom Shop With Bigsby:::::
::::::Vox AC15VR::::::
For budget guitars, I recommend epiphone guitars. I have owned the SG-G400 and the Wilshire Phant-o-matic. Humbuckers are more diverse in my opinion; they still sound good clean and distorted is great. You can always mod and adjust your epiphone easily I have done pickup swaps, added split coils, adjusted intonation & truss rod for thicker strings, changed the tuners and nut. Single Coils are a one trick pony for me...

As far as ESP's and other metal guitars, they are ok. The necks are really nice but their floyd roses are horrible. I had an LTD -M100 and the floyd rose was cheaply glued in(the threaded part were you screw in your whammy) so it fell off after jamming with my friends... that was a horrible experience.

Good luck on your new purchase
I would have a look at the Ibanez S Series:
- HSH config (after the entry level models)
- Nice thin neck
- Mainly used for shred/metal, but I'm using it for anything at the moment and it does a passable job for most of it.

you might be able to find one in your budget
Quote by Mephaphil
You're new here so I'll just explain. We try to help people, he's given us clear indication of what he wants so we're going to give a honest opinion on a selection of guitars without the bullshit, commission driven attitude of sales assistants. That way he can go into a shop and not look at the wall of a hundred guitars with no guidance.

If you want to help him, don't bother giving advice like the one in bold, it doesn't make much sense.

Chatterbox, I think that something like an Epiphone LP Standard would suit all your needs. They're quite popular so perhaps the used market might fall in your favour.

Some people don't have the luxury of being able to go into a store and try guitars of which I have been helping on this forum. How does me being a newer person on this forum matter? This isn't my first forum.

I really don't have to ask for your permission to post anything on here. People can give their opinions all day but in the end it's only your opinion and not everybody will agree with it.

Quote by chatterbox272
I'll rephrase then. 1 store could have around 20 guitars in my price range. In a trip, I can probably play 5. I'm not really keen on driving the hour round trip for the next 4 saturdays just to play 15 crap ones and 5 good ones. Whereas if I come here and get suggestions I might be able to narrow that down to 5-10 which if I show them I'm willing to buy on the day they will let me sit in the amp room and play for longer.

Judging from how often I'm in there and the fact I've never heard of Vintage before, probably not. As for the Epi's I'll have a look but from what I can see the only Epi in my price range is the G-310.

You can get a bunch of suggestions on here and only try those ones out. What about the ones not suggested here and just happened to be the guitar that suited you better but you overlooked it because it wasn't on your list? Don't limit yourself, is what I was saying.

The more you try the better in finding what suits you best. I wasn't trying to be rude. Now that you say the drive is further than you like it's understandable. Just have fun trying out the guitars, you will find it.
Quote by Blackfire.
Some people don't have the luxury of being able to go into a store and try guitars of which I have been helping on this forum. How does me being a newer person on this forum matter? This isn't my first forum.

I really don't have to ask for your permission to post anything on here. People can give their opinions all day but in the end it's only your opinion and not everybody will agree with it.

I'm not saying you need my permission. I was just telling you how we try to help people by answering their questions, whereas your advice doesn't seem to be helping him at all. You didn't bother to recommend a guitar, but others have and now he's got numerous guitars to try that suit his needs. He doesn't need to spend all day trying guitars out, he needs something decent to suit his requirements, he's not buying a R9 so give him a hand.

You're making him explain the obvious, of which you ended up agreeing that maybe him travelling to pick out guitars at random might be counter productive.
Quote by Mephaphil
I'm not saying you need my permission. I was just telling you how we try to help people by answering their questions, whereas your advice doesn't seem to be helping him at all. You didn't bother to recommend a guitar, but others have and now he's got numerous guitars to try that suit his needs. He doesn't need to spend all day trying guitars out, he needs something decent to suit his needs, he's not buying a R9 so give him a hand.

You're making him explain the obvious, of which you ended up agreeing that maybe him travelling to pick out guitars at random might be counter productive.

I was wondering why he didn't have time which now I know is because of the drive. A person getting their first guitar should get familiar with as many guitars as they can to see what they like playing and how it feels. That's just my opinion. No hard feelings man.
Last edited by Blackfire. at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by chatterbox272

Also the G400 is $350 not sure what the currency exchange is.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EGGPEBNH/

Will you be standing or sitting mostly? The reason I ask is because of V shaped guitars.
Quote by iTim
Hey Chatterbox, I'm in Perth also and might have an Epiphone G400 for sale for about $350. It's never been gigged with and hasn't been used much at all (it's not even my #1 practice guitar). It's in very good condition and RRPs for over $500 in Perth. Would you be interested if it was for sale?

Maybe, I'd have to give it some thought, maybe head over to Music Park and see what the best price they can do is first. And I'm definitely checking out the other guitars recommended here too so I can compare.
Quote by Blackfire.
Also the G400 is $350 not sure what the currency exchange is.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EGGPEBNH/

Will you be standing or sitting mostly? The reason I ask is because of V shaped guitars.

I don't know and I'm not fussed if it's a little annoying. I doubt I'd find any decent V shaped ones here in my price range anyway. And the G400 is well over that here, regardless of the exchange rate we pay the "Australia Tax" on everything
Hmpfh- I have seen some fine examples of high-end Aussie Luthierie over the years, and I'm aware of how much wood gets harvested for insturment making out of Southeast Asia. So I'm always surprised that no homegrown brand seems to have sprung up down under to enter the affordable guitar market.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by chatterbox272
I don't know and I'm not fussed if it's a little annoying. I doubt I'd find any decent V shaped ones here in my price range anyway. And the G400 is well over that here, regardless of the exchange rate we pay the "Australia Tax" on everything

Ouch on the tax..

Since you said you play metal mostly how bout a BC Rich Warlock Revenge? $250 on Amazon in the link below. Some people might not like the shape but I like it. I have a Warlock NJ Deluxe and couldn't be happier with it.

http://www.amazon.com/B-C-Rich-Warlock-Revenge-Electric/dp/B00134MTQ0/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1377166634&sr=8-15&keywords=bc+rich+warlock

Here's some dude playing one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK8nqQhzWAo
That guitar isn't worth the space it occupies. Half the price is for the design.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard; what's the used price in Australia?
Quote by Mephaphil
That guitar isn't worth the space it occupies. Half the price is for the design.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard; what's the used price in Australia?

The design has been around a long time. I used to have an 80's Warlock that I bought brand new back in the day. I sold it a long time ago and now I'm kicking myself about it.

People hate on certain brands it's all good. For the price and his tax situation plus limited used market. I believe it's a good buy. The guy in the video and reviews on Amazon seem to like it. The quality on both my Warlocks that I've owned were and are superb.
Quote by Blackfire.
The design has been around a long time. I used to have an 80's Warlock that I bought brand new back in the day. I sold it a long time ago and now I'm kicking myself about it.

People hate on certain brands it's all good. For the price and his tax situation plus limited used market. I believe it's a good buy. The guy in the video and reviews on Amazon seem to like it. The quality on both my Warlocks that I've owned were and are superb.

Low-end BCR are pretty crap guitars. They claim they have better QC now, but they had such horrible low-end guitars for a very long time, I would not chance it .

Yes the NJ series is pretty nice, but we are talking their budget guitars which are not more often than not.

At www.allansbillyhyde.com.au they have a Squier VM Telecaster Custom for $389 new. If you buy new this is one of your best bets in your price range. It will do most styles with the stock pickups.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Low-end BCR are pretty crap guitars. They claim they have better QC now, but they had such horrible low-end guitars for a very long time, I would not chance it .

Yes the NJ series is pretty nice, but we are talking their budget guitars which are not more often than not.

At www.allansbillyhyde.com they have a Squier VM Telecaster Custom for $389 new. If you buy new this is one of your best bets in your price range. It will do most styles with the stock pickups.

Now I'm curious about that Revenge Warlock, I'm gonna go by the store and try one out for sh*ts and giggles. I don't want to assume things because I read them on the internet, those good reviews could be false.

I posted a guitar that was $350 earlier and it's over his budget. Not sure if you caught that... and your link took me to a site that has nothing on it and asked me if I wanted to buy that .com lol.
^ Reviews aren't worth shit, 99% of the time they're made during the honeymoon period and are not accurate assessment. And most of the time they're made by people who don't have a good objective scale to compare anything with. If you give a $300 guitar 5 stars and go on about how amazing it is, when the only thing you've ever held before was $100 starter pack guitars, you don't exactly have a ton of perspective.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Billy Hyde died over here in Perth, but they were never cheap so I'll give the tele a shot if I can find one (probably can). I'm not keen on the BC Rich because I've played a few of their low end ones before when friends were looking for guitars and they always sounded crap, and one friend who bought one has hardly used it yet it shows every little mark from where it's been knocked.
As for the price of an LP Standard used I haven't seen one, but looking at the retail price of around $700 I would estimate that they're around $400-500.
Quote by Offworld92
^ Reviews aren't worth shit, 99% of the time they're made during the honeymoon period and are not accurate assessment. And most of the time they're made by people who don't have a good objective scale to compare anything with. If you give a $300 guitar 5 stars and go on about how amazing it is, when the only thing you've ever held before was $100 starter pack guitars, you don't exactly have a ton of perspective.

I bought a lot of things off Amazon based on reviews. If you do enough reading you can get a good idea of what is what, some reviews state they've had the guitar for a year and a half, or that they have been teaching guitar for 12 years. Those people you would take into consideration of their opinion.

Giving a $300 dollar guitar 5 stars is based on what you get for the price, not because it's the best guitar made. If someone bought that same guitar for $800 it would get very bad reviews.
Quote by chatterbox272
Billy Hyde died over here in Perth, but they were never cheap so I'll give the tele a shot if I can find one (probably can). I'm not keen on the BC Rich because I've played a few of their low end ones before when friends were looking for guitars and they always sounded crap, and one friend who bought one has hardly used it yet it shows every little mark from where it's been knocked.
As for the price of an LP Standard used I haven't seen one, but looking at the retail price of around $700 I would estimate that they're around $400-500.

I've played some crappy Fenders before but that didn't put off the entire brand to me. Which is why I bought one I liked and I've had it for a very long time now. The one in the video didn't sound like crap to me. But hey you're buying the guitar not me hehe.

Also another brand when I think of something metal or fast is Jackson.
Dean Zelinsky Private Label guitars- new company by an established guitar maker. (I have a Tagliare in my sights.)

http://deanzelinsky.com/

3 models- only 2 currently on sale. Deeply discounted introductory rates, available directly from the website. Worldwide shipping $79. I have been told his guitars are also available internationally from places like Thomann.

At one time, there was even a discount code for $100 off if you subscribed to his newsletter. I don't know if he's still doing that promo.

He's also doing a giveaway of a tricked-out Tagliare..."free" is a great price!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Dean Zelinsky Private Label guitars- new company by an established guitar maker. (I have a Tagliare in my sights.)

http://deanzelinsky.com/

3 models- only 2 currently on sale. Deeply discounted introductory rates, available directly from the website. Worldwide shipping $79. I have been told his guitars are also available internationally from places like Thomann.

At one time, there was even a discount code for $100 off if you subscribed to his newsletter. I don't know if he's still doing that promo.

He's also doing a giveaway of a tricked-out Tagliare..."free" is a great price!

Looks like the only one in his budget has single coils.

I have to say that StrettaVita Custom in Trans Wine looks sexy though...
If- and it is a big "if"- DZPL is still offering the $100 discount code for signing up to the newsletter, then most of the Strettavita line is within his budget.

Quote by Blackfire.
I've played some crappy Fenders before but that didn't put off the entire brand to me. Which is why I bought one I liked and I've had it for a very long time now. The one in the video didn't sound like crap to me. But hey you're buying the guitar not me hehe.

Also another brand when I think of something metal or fast is Jackson.

I get what you mean, and I don't dislike BC Rich as a company. I've found the cheap BC Richs I've played to be crap, so I won't buy a cheap BC Rich. If in a few years I decide I want a better guitar and I'm spending more money then I'll consider BC Rich, but at this price range I know I'm paying for the shape.
I would like to own a NJ Mockingbird one day I really like them, but your right in staying away from the cheap BCR.

Good luck in your hunt
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just because I hate using the search and finding a bunch of threads that never actually say what was decided on in the end, I ended up getting an ESP LTD EX-50. I went in and tried a whole bunch of guitars in my price range and narrowed it down to 3 guitars. An Ibanez RG170 for $370, which felt great but the sound was average; an ESP LTD Viper-50 which sounded great but didn't feel quite right (maybe it was the scale length? considering I come from bass) for $350; and the EX-50 for $400 which sounded just as good as the Viper but played as well as the Ibanez. I got it 3 days ago so I'm still in the honeymoon period but so far I'm extremely happy with it.
That's interesting considering the EX and the Viper have the same neck profile and scale length. Glad you got to try stuff and find something you like in your hands though.

By the way, you need to update your original post because most people don't actually read threads and you'll start getting more suggestions.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by chatterbox272
Just because I hate using the search and finding a bunch of threads that never actually say what was decided on in the end, I ended up getting an ESP LTD EX-50. I went in and tried a whole bunch of guitars in my price range and narrowed it down to 3 guitars. An Ibanez RG170 for $370, which felt great but the sound was average; an ESP LTD Viper-50 which sounded great but didn't feel quite right (maybe it was the scale length? considering I come from bass) for $350; and the EX-50 for $400 which sounded just as good as the Viper but played as well as the Ibanez. I got it 3 days ago so I'm still in the honeymoon period but so far I'm extremely happy with it.

Great!

Now, show us some pix!