Didn't know where to start this thread, so I guess it belongs to the pit. Does any of you suffer from REALLY shaky hands despite being completely healthy? I don't suffer from any condition like Parkinson and it wasn't annoying until I started taking the guitar seriously. It gets worse when I'm improvising because my fingers are just on the move and they are not really depending on muscle memory.

If you are in the same situation, what's your solution for it? My uncle is a doctor, and he says that it's called "essential tremor" and it's not anything bad, it just runs in families and affects different parts of the body. Sometimes drinking alcohol makes it better, but after the effect is gone, the shaking gets worse.

Do you think it's possible to become a successful technical guitarist with this problem? I'm losing my motivation and I don't really want to practice anymore. I'm seriously thinking about studying another instrument that doesn't really depend on hand dexterity, such as the trombone, the trumpet or even something like the vibraphone.

Please help
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Quote by whywefight
so it's not a nervous shake?

Not really... sure it gets worse when I'm nervous, but I'm ALWAYS shaking. It's not noticeable unless I'm doing things that require special dexterity, such as drawing details with a pencil, for example. If I'm resting my hands or if I'm using them for everyday movements (such as articulating speech or drinking a glass of water) they don't shake, though.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Last edited by Svennz at Aug 22, 2013,
vibraphone>everything else

Tony Iommi didn't even have the tips of his fingers. Quit making excuses.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by vilk

I'm not really making excuses, I'm even open to start from scratch another instrument just because of it... I know I CAN play, I'm not missing any limb or any finger, but I'm just having trouble with what I personally want to achieve, which is improvising and that's where my problem takes toll.

I might just stick to what I can do, such as playing premade melodies and songs.
Last edited by Svennz at Aug 22, 2013,
Shaky hands for guitar aren't all that bad.

Constant vibrato!

Just think about it: even your chords will have vibrato! You will revolutionize rock and stuff!
My friend, I have a thing called motor dysgraphia, which is a disability that, as far as I understand, is caused by the muscles/tendons/etc. controlling my fine motor skills being underdeveloped. The most notable symptom of this is that my handwriting is absolutely horrific, but also that any task requiring finger dexterity is inherently harder for me than a regular person, because mine is terrible. Playing almost any musical instrument properly is a task inherently intensive on fine motor skills.

I'm not a master shredder who can sweep pick perfect arpeggios at 294 bpm. I don't claim to be a virtuoso, I don't claim to be a great incredible guitar visionary. But I do claim to be a pretty damn good guitarist, I do claim to be good enough that I've been paid for recording sessions before, and I do claim to be proud and confident about my proficiency.

Yeah, you have a disability, and yeah, it's going to make it harder to learn. But it means shit-all as far as preventing you from doing it unless you let it, it just means you, like me, are going to have to put more work in than other people. But god is it worth it.

I don't know how analogous my situation is to yours, but I feel - possibly incorrectly - that if I can play well in spite of a condition that causes poor motor skills, you can play well in spite of a condition that causes tremors.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 22, 2013,
Do your best not to think about it. I've been playing for around 10 years, and my hands don't shake a bit when playing. In my daily life (I work in the print industry), my hands are beat to hell and always have a shake. For some reason, playing doesn't bother them it seems like. For comparison, I've been shooting guns for nearly 15 years, and to this day if I'm really focusing on a tough shot, tremors will set in. When shooting fast drills, there's not a single shake (that I can really notice).
Quote by Svennz
Not really... sure it gets worse when I'm nervous, but I'm ALWAYS shaking. It's not noticeable unless I'm doing things that require special dexterity, such as drawing details with a pencil, for example. If I'm resting my hands or if I'm using them for everyday movements (such as articulating speech or drinking a glass of water) they don't shake, though.

If your hands dont shake while holding a glass of water, why do they shake when youre holding your guitar neck?
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Wiegenlied
If your hands dont shake while holding a glass of water, why do they shake when youre holding your guitar neck?

Because when I hold a glass of water my fingers are not free, they are applying pressure to hold the glass and thus have no reason to shake. My problem arises when playing a melody because I get a finger fretting and the others three shaking like hell. Same thing happens when playing a chord! You might think it's not that bad, but it really shows when you are trying to play a clean and tasty line or a walking bass line with chords.
Quote by Wiegenlied

Essential tremors tend to only act up when the affected muscles are being used.

OT:
Dude, I don't know what to say. Maybe you'll just have to dedicate a lot more things to muscle memory than other people, as gleaned from your post. I don't what do say other than to see if you can do some of the stuff on the wiki. It not something you can consciously control. It really sucks.

Also, you may want to get a proper check up by a doctor, as it could be more than just an essential tremor. Is there a family history?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Essential tremors tend to only act up when the affected muscles are being used.

OT:
Dude, I don't know what to say. Maybe you'll just have to dedicate a lot more things to muscle memory than other people, as gleaned from your post. I don't what do say other than to see if you can do some of the stuff on the wiki. It not something you can consciously control. It really sucks.

Also, you may want to get a proper check up by a doctor, as it could be more than just an essential tremor. Is there a family history?

Yeah... Nothing to worry about though, no Parkinson history or anything bad. Just shaky hands like mines. Most of my father's family shake, including a couple of uncles, an aunt, my grandma and my sister. My brother didn't inherit that crap.
Quote by Svennz
Yeah... Nothing to worry about though, no Parkinson history or anything bad. Just shaky hands like mines. Most of my father's family shake, including a couple of uncles, an aunt, my grandma and my sister. My brother didn't inherit that crap.

That's good.

If you do end up pursuing another instrument after giving it a solid shot, don't feel bad. You may not be able to achieve the level of skill you want to, but I'm sure that if you work on the stuff you can do the guitar can still be a worthwhile hobby.

Quote by vilk

Tony Iommi's situation was much easier to deal with. This is a completely different situation.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
My hands are shaky when im not holding something and if I'm not relaxing the muscles in my arm, although in addition with this I have got Tendonitis in my left arm and a dodgy knuckle in my pinky that stops me from moving my pinky out away from the other fingers, so I essentially have 3 fingers on a shaky hand which gets sore really quickly to play guitar with :/
Alright guys, to those wondering what's it like, check out this video and how alcohol actually helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLeAr1jLwbM
Quote by Svennz

Do you think it's possible to become a successful technical guitarist [with this problem]?

Please help

If by successful, do you mean famous? Then the answer is almost certainly no. You'd be much better off spending all you guitar time trying to write just one song.

Playing guitar should only be about the music itself, with maybe a side of "having fun." Any other presumptions you have will only lead to disappointment. Get married, have a kid, pin all your hopes and dreams on him/her and make that little snot nose bastard fulfill all of your lost and trivial ambitions.