On the tailpiece going into my guitar, the screws going in that control the action of the strings has a crack around it (you can kinda see in pictures, sorry for the quality) Is this a problem when I mess with the action? or is it just there because of something else? Also it has an extra washer or something that isn't on the other side of the tailpiece going into the guitar.

Also is it safe for the neck to make major adjustments to the action?
Attachments:
photo 1.PNG
photo 2.PNG
photo 3.PNG
photo 4.PNG
You adjust the action by raising or lowering the bridge not by using the truss rod.

The truss-rod allows you to adjust the neck bow for different string gauges, not the action. This only helps to fine tune the action, not set the action.

I couldn't see the crack in those pic's, but if the studs are tight and do not wiggle then you should be fine

Always slack all strings before you mess with the truss-rod any little bit.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
You adjust the action by raising or lowering the bridge not by using the truss rod.

The truss-rod allows you to adjust the neck bow for different string gauges, not the action. This only helps to fine tune the action, not set the action.

I couldn't see the crack in those pic's, but if the studs are tight and do not wiggle then you should be fine

Always slack all strings before you mess with the truss-rod any little bit.

Sorry, I meant is it safe for the neck if you make major adjustments to the actions? Like will it affect the neck if i take my strings from low to high

On on side on the tailpiece it goes into the guitar with a washer or something and it has cracks? then on the other there is not. and are studs the part that goes into the guitar?

what does slack mean?
Quote by hahaha15
Sorry, I meant is it safe for the neck if you make major adjustments to the actions? Like will it affect the neck if i take my strings from low to high

On on side on the tailpiece it goes into the guitar with a washer or something and it has cracks? then on the other there is not. and are studs the part that goes into the guitar?

what does slack mean?

I would only adjust it a little at a time.

Yes you will most likely have to do some adjustments if you change string gauges but not all the time.

The tail piece is most likely a crack in the finish. if there is not a lot of movement in the stud (the bushing is the piece that is pressed in, the stud it the piece that threads in) then I would say you should be fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate