Hey guys,

I play a lot of guitar, as I am sure we all do. I do a lot of it in the house, sitting down. I have for years been trying to find the right kind of chair.

I don't want arms, but I do want to be able to lean back a little to push my back straight. Does anyone have a favourite seat, or kind of seat?
IMO Drummer Thrones are some of the best seats for sitting and playing guitar. Most of them do not have backs on them but a few do. a Nice one (but expensive) is the Gibraltar Drum Throne with the Oversized Motorcycle Seat and Backrest. They sell for $169.99 USD

That looks pretty nice. I guess it would go high enough too. There's some at one of the places I teach that wobble at heights above shin level and don't have backs. I guess it's because they're cheap!
Arms don't hinder me from playing in my chair.

Classical position bypasses pretty much every problem people come up with for sitting down and playing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Be sure to try different drum throne types before you buy one.

You may find yourself well settled with a cheap, plain-surfaced, backless one,
Or you may find that the extra price is worth the back and the nice shape the gibraltar posted in the picture has.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
A seat is a seat IMO. As long as it's comfortable to sit on and at the correct height so my upper legs are at least parallel to the ground, I'm good. I can play in both Horizontal and Classical positions comfortably on my chair. Its only a basic office chair without arms!

One of these, it has a pump handle... useful!
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
i also agree about drum thrones. i play outta normal seats too, but i always seem to like my drummer's super simple throne.

i also like playing on stools with a good foot rest. this gets me off the ground for acoustic stuff and the projection of the guitar is better.

edit: your 'Lord of the Leaves' MTG reference makes me chuckle TS.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by Eladamri
Hey guys,

I play a lot of guitar, as I am sure we all do. I do a lot of it in the house, sitting down. I have for years been trying to find the right kind of chair.

I don't want arms, but I do want to be able to lean back a little to push my back straight. Does anyone have a favourite seat, or kind of seat?

I found a padded office chair that adjusts to height and the arms just had two bolts holding them, so I took the arms off. I have seen a few of these chairs at garage sales for cheap.
I took the right arm of of my office chair so the body will fit close to me when sitting naturally with back support. The left chair arm supports the elbow on my fretting hand while playing.
I have a L shaped desk. When I need to slouch in front of the computer, the desk on my right acts support my mouse hand arm when I'm housing people during on-line gaming battles.
Last edited by 667 at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
Arms don't hinder me from playing in my chair.

i find it hard to play without arms...

seriously, though, bar stools can work too (i prefer no arms, depends on the type of arms, i suppose), but that drum throne looks badass.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

seriously, though, bar stools can work too (i prefer no arms, depends on the type of arms, i suppose), but that drum throne looks badass.

+1 to the barstool. And to the difficulty of playing without arms
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Carl21221
A seat is a seat IMO. As long as it's comfortable to sit on and at the correct height so my upper legs are at least parallel to the ground, I'm good. I can play in both Horizontal and Classical positions comfortably on my chair. Its only a basic office chair without arms!

One of these, it has a pump handle... useful!

Yea, I use one of these too. Mine had arms on it but I unbolted them and pitched them in the bin.

Carl
Fender Telecaster and HSS Stratocaster - Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Princeton Reverb - Fender Rumble 75
Morley Bad Horsey Wah - Boss BD-2 | CS-3 | DS-1 | MT-2 | ODB-3
Peavey PV14 - IPR 3000 - PR15
I don't really play sitting down much but when I do I sit on my bed. It's low to the ground and the bedframe sticks out a bit. I use it to put my foot on, then rest the guitar on my thigh. I can NOT play sitting down if I don't have something to hold my foot on. It is incredibly uncomfortable to sit down and play without something holding my foot up. I can play standing no problem. Am I the only one like this?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Dave_Mc

Hey man, **** you always calling out my double entendres.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by 667
Q:Why'd the girl fall off the swing?
A: She had no arms.
Q: Why couldn't she get up?
A: She had no legs.

Congrats, that's my first ever UG lolstack
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I can't play sitting down because I only play standing up.

damn right. i play like i pee: like a man, standing up.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Well, I can play sitting down but my muscles are not trained for that so if I try it - I end up missing chords and positions. Plus, with the heavy stuff I play, to your point, it just doesn't seem right to be sitting down.

For those that gig and take it seriously, I def suggest you practice standing up. Unless you gig sitting down
I can play covers front to back - with leads sitting down.
I suck standing up. The only songs I can play front to back reasonably well are my bands (bar chord bashing) ... and Kiss' "God of Thunder".
Quote by Offworld92
Hey man, **** you always calling out my double entendres.

But yeah seriously it's worth practising being able to play standing up.

but if you're practising somethign new, standing up as well is pretty tiring. i tend to sit if i'm learning something new. I can play better sitting too, which sucks. I can still play standing up, but sitting is easier.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?