Hello everyone. Seeing as I am new to this I have already posted this thread but I have realized it is in the wrong forum.
My question is that due to the size of my hands I have a difficult time with a standard size neck. I would like to go to a wide neck and have found three different manufacturers, Agile, Zarley, and Big Lou. Anyone who could give me some information on playability and construction of these guitars would be appreciated.
Thank you
Wide neck as in thicker neck or wider fretboard width?
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Jackson and Ibanez also have wider necks (read: larger spacing between strings). I'm sure there's other companies out there that do as well, but your options open up a lot with just this point.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have huge hands (XXL gloves). I've been told I have lunchboxes on the ends of my arms, and I grew up playing keyboard (piano, at first), so I have a pretty wide span as well. Nonetheless, I've taught myself to play on fretboards as narrow as my old original L6S (1 9/16ths"). You want to stay away from Gibsons with "nibs" -- the string spacing needs to narrow to avoid having the strings playing on the nibs themselves or, in the case of the high E string, dropping into a space between the nib and the end of the fret and getting caught. Stoopid nibs.

I've got one Agile with a 1 3/4" nut width and love it. Thing is, pretty much all guitars have standard width bridges, so when you get above the 12th fret, any advantage you had at the nut has pretty much disappeared. That's not necessarily a bad thing (since it IS wider down there)...

One guitar that I know of has the solution for both of us, but it's not cheap. Jim Soloway (Soloway guitars) designed a neck that's just awesome. He originally called it the "fingerstyle" neck, but we both call it simply comfortable. Jim has more or less moved to Vancouver and stopped (slowed down) on building guitars, but Doug Kauer, an excellent custom builder, is building the majority of Soloway guitars. The website says that they're not accepting orders right now, but you should contact Jim anyway (he...uh...*ahem* makes "exception"). http://www.solowayguitars.com/

The nut is a 1 13/16ths" width, a full 1/8th" over a standard 1 11/16ths". But here's the real difference: the neck maintains that 1/8th" advantage all the way to the specially-designed bridge. Just awesome. I played one of his semi-hollow designs (with a 15" wide bout) in a 25.5" scale (he started out building 27" scale guitars that were designed to be tuned to standard, not baritone and moved to 25.5" and eventually built some 24.75" scale guitars). The guitar was damned near perfect. I don't remember which neck profile it was -- he has five different versions that vary the depth and shape slightly. The fretboard was a bit flatter (15" radius?), the space between frets was a bit larger (compared to, say, an LP) and the guitar has a bent top (my favorite is the Single 15) that gives you a more comfortable forearm relief than a strat and a tummy (rib) cut that makes this thing the most comfortable (there's that word again) guitar I've ever played. Notes rang out with piano-like clarity and the stupid thing had me liking playing 11's (I'd normally have 9's on a guitar in that scale). My fingers hurt after a while, but I think they'd get used to it. You can finally do serious bends on a 25.5" scale; you don't end up pushing as many strings aside as you do with a narrower fretboard, and that makes even the 11's reasonable to play. Adjacent string noise is MUCH reduced. In all, a really perfect guitar for those of us who do a facepalm and wrap around most of the skull as well.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 22, 2013,
Action speaks louder than words.
Last edited by geerpwh at Aug 22, 2013,
Thanks for the input. Checked out the Soloway site and then checked my bank account-don't think it's gonna happen. I did find a guy out of the UK who is turning 7 strings into 6 strings. He ends up with almost a 2 inch nut width. He took a Schecter 7 string and modded it. I don't know if I cared too much for the setup. The guitar is still on ebay. Funny thing is I just found one of the Ultra III's in a consignment shop. Damn thing blew me away. I did not want to plunk the cash down because it would have ended up being another nice guitar sitting on a stand. I would like some info on the Zarley's if anybody owns one.
Thanks again.
Hy

I'm in the same boat as you - see my other post on this forum.
Besides Zarley & Big Lou guitars, other option that I considered was converting a double six into a six string guitar. For instance the semi-hollow Dean Boca - 1 7/8 nut. You need to change the nut and adjust the tail piece. And live with the huge headstock or cut it ...
http://www.deanguitars.com/boca12.php
Short scale (24 3/4), at 400 $.
Keep in mind that not all double six have wide nut (i.e. 1 13/16 or 1 7/8). Nod do they come as cheap as the Dean (which is, still a reliable brand, I guess).

P.S. I'm very curious if you got to a resolution of your problem.
Last edited by buligas at Nov 28, 2013,