I'd like to get some advice on buying a used amp.

A little background:

I did a bit of self-teaching about 25 years ago, mostly open chords. Was broke. sold my gear. Regretted it. 6 months ago, I purchased a cheap acoustic, a used electric guitar and an amp. I started taking formal lessons about 4 months ago. I like nearly all styles of music, and have been working on Jazz chord progressions, scales, chord shapes, and oh yeah, am a HUGE Satriani fan, so a few Satch songs as well.

Anyway, the amp I have is a modeling amp, which is fine for the most part, but I find that I want to tweak the sound more than the amp allows, and some of the effects I just don’t like. So, I went out and bought a distortion pedal, which sounds like arse with the amp. Apparently, even on the ‘clean’ setting, it’s not totally clean, even with the knobs turned down to zero. So, I borrowed a 50 watt keyboard amp to test the pedal to make sure it wasn’t borked, and it sounded awesome.

So, I want to try and find a used practice amp (tube or not, I don’t care) that will sound good with pedals, so I can fine tune the sound. I don’t know much about amps. I don’t have much of a budget – hence all the used gear I’ve bought. I’d like to stay around/under $100. I did see a Crate GT1200H head for sale for $100 that was in mint condition, and have seen them cheaper that were dinged up a bit, but would need a speaker cabinet for it that would stretch the budget. Plus, that’s a hell of a lot of power. I need to return the keyboard amp, and don’t want to damage it (if that’s possible) by running my pedal(s) through it, so I want to start shopping.

Here's what gear I currently have:

Epiphone acoustic
Ibanez RG5EX1
Line6 Spider IV 15w
Line6 TonePort DI Gold Bundle connected to my laptop
Peavey 50w KXB50 (keyboard amp)
Boss DS-1 distortion pedal

My ‘wish list’:

Reverb pedal
Tuner pedal
Wah pedal

Scott
You are not going to find much for $100 that will better than what you have. I'd just stick it out with the Spider and save up. True the Spider will not take pedals well. The Peavey Vypyr (another modelling amp) does take pedals well. You can get a used Peavey Vypyr 60 (the one with power tubes in it) for around $250. They play well at bedroom volumes too.
That's good to know. I was hoping to get a tube amp at some point. A friend had a half stack with a solid state head, and sold it to get a smaller tube amp, which apparently sounds much better.

It's funny that you mentioned the Peavey. That's what I really wanted to buy, but found the Line6 on Craigslist, and couldn't pass it up.
Another nice small tube amp is the Bugera V22, which also has a reverb in it.

I don't really know how well it takes pedals for I tried one without any pedals by my side.

The distorted channel was pretty good anyway, though not suitable for any genre that requires a considerable ammount of gain.

Goes for about $300 used, which in my opinion is well worth if you can stretch your budget to that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
That's cool. I don't know anything about Bugera amps at all. I'll head off to the 'Tube and see some vids.
Looks pretty nice in the vids. I'll look around here to see if anyone is selling one.
I did find a Crate 65w Flexwave amp. Any good words on this one? It's not a tube, but it's cheaper, and apparently takes pedals well.
Crate solid state amps are ok at $1 per watt. Anything more, I'd pass.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The quality's probably just about the same, but the bugera's sound is most likely better.

About good words, as far as I'm concerned the only worthy thing about from crate is branded blackheart, and I have never really heard very nice things about crate amps.

One thing you should do is definitely go into a music store and ask them to try some Amps.
Even if you don't try anything you've been told here (because they don't have it maybe), you'll get an better idea of what you want - and in particular if you find that any tube amp is worth the extra price over a solid state one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
TS, go play some nicer amps. Seriously, don't be afraid to plug into a $1500 amplifier, and turning it up. This way you know what you're getting into.

Especially check out the XXX/JSX.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
After some fiddling with practice amps I have found that I like something solid state with 2 channels, 2 speakers a headphone jack, analog chorus and reverb. $100 will pick you up a nice used Peavey, Randall or SS Fender stereo amp. I would put the Marshall 215 in the same class but it does not have 2 channels so you can’t automatically switch between the clean and dirty sounds you have set up.

Lots of folks will trash these types amps but they have a good analog-ish tone, good volume, some nice features and are reliable all for $100.

I am not a fan of modeling amps, I have had 2 spiders and never liked them because they always sounded too synthetic to my ear and all the built in effects led to what I call the “power seat syndrome”. Like when you get in a car with 100 adjustments for the power seat, you always are fiddling with the thing to get more comfortable.

On the other hand, practice tube amps have always seemed a bit of over kill to me noodling in my bedroom. I especially like the clean sound from an SS amp at low volume and personally don’t see the point of paying $500+ for a practice amp.

I never really liked Crate just because I always will associate them with the free amps you got with your starter guitar kit (the Fender Frontman also falls in this group). I admit I don’t have a lot of experience with them but from what I have seen on the internet they are not a popular choice with the tone over volume crowd.

Just my two cents
New
Amp
Day

start a new thread and post a small review and some pictures/demo video if you can
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Bearshrimp
After some fiddling with practice amps I have found that I like something solid state with 2 channels, 2 speakers a headphone jack, analog chorus and reverb. $100 will pick you up a nice used Peavey, Randall or SS Fender stereo amp. I would put the Marshall 215 in the same class but it does not have 2 channels so you can’t automatically switch between the clean and dirty sounds you have set up.

Lots of folks will trash these types amps but they have a good analog-ish tone, good volume, some nice features and are reliable all for $100.

I am not a fan of modeling amps, I have had 2 spiders and never liked them because they always sounded too synthetic to my ear and all the built in effects led to what I call the “power seat syndrome”. Like when you get in a car with 100 adjustments for the power seat, you always are fiddling with the thing to get more comfortable.

On the other hand, practice tube amps have always seemed a bit of over kill to me noodling in my bedroom. I especially like the clean sound from an SS amp at low volume and personally don’t see the point of paying $500+ for a practice amp.

I never really liked Crate just because I always will associate them with the free amps you got with your starter guitar kit (the Fender Frontman also falls in this group). I admit I don’t have a lot of experience with them but from what I have seen on the internet they are not a popular choice with the tone over volume crowd.

Just my two cents

you can omit this. IMO. if the only modeling amp he played was a spider, they are the worst. peavey vypyrs are infinitely better if you like high gain, the vox valvetronix is great for less gain. the roland cubes are pretty good too.

the only solid state head in your budget and may like would be a beat to hell Randall RG 100es. i have owned two. one had issues, but i paid like $50, the good functioning one was like maybe $120-$140 they don't just do dime as most people think they do.

i like old ampeg amps, i like mine, one of fuses (HT fuse) failed to blow and melted two connections. haven't gotten around to fix, the other is hybrid, but it really has a nice clean to it , and i use pedals for OD on it. i paid $30. i talked him down a ton.

Bear - are you running stereo? being two different signals or just have two speakers on an amp, a 2x12"?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well, I was looking at pricing for a Bugera V22 (which sounds quite awesome in the YouTube vids I watched yesterday), and found some new ones online for $350, but unfortunately, my wife got laid off yesterday, so my new amp day will have to wait for a while.

To add insult to injury, today's her birthday, and three weeks from now is Christmas. Lovely time to get laid off...