More often every day, websites are using Facebook as a way to authenticate and put a name to the user using the particular feature on the website. Most times the Facebook authentication was limited to specific features which would normally require a login/password, but Facebook is used to make that process easier.

However, these days I've found a multitude of websites completely block you until you authenticate using Facebook, like their Facebook page, or otherwise associate your Facebook information with their website. This has been on the rise, and now a number of websites are simply inaccessible if you don't want your Facebook connected or don't even have one (as many still don't, kudos).

So how do you feel about this? Are websites crossing a line wanting to know everything about you? Why should everyone require a Facebook account to do certain things?
Any website that forces you to do the above shouldn't be trusted unless it's a huge corporation, and even then I wouldn't trust them all that much.

You can sign up with HSBC, Amazon, pay your taxes etc. online without it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
If there's an option to sign in without Facebook then I use it. I rarely authenticate sites with my Facebook. It's dodgy.
I don't think it's a great conspiracy, I think it's just that it's a widespread, easy to implement authentication system. No doubt there are other advantages to it (increasing likes on fb increases their exposure etc) but I doubt most of these companies are really data mining.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Well there is your freedom of choice. Sure you could just not register but there are people(at least in my case) that I wont be able to contact otherwise.

You can choose between gazillion of apps but they are on 2 or 3 services that are basically in monopoly and I bet there is cartel behind the scene.
I've seen the option every now and again, but I've yet to see it being a requirement.

Seems like a dick move though, to force people to use Facebook in order to login. Last thing you want to do is limit the options of your potential customers.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I don't have facebook and I've never had a problem.

This.
I've also never HAD to use my FB to get access into a site. Although it is nice to be able to use your FB to comment on various news sites. Saves the trouble of registering for different websites separately. I don't really care if they data mine. I am more worried about people using my credit card in places I've never even been to.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Dunno what websites you're visiting, but I'm pretty sure every website out there has the ol' register with your e-mail address thing alongside the social network options.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's default. Sure, they'd like you to connect with your social networking accounts, but if the sign up through e-mail route isn't there, I don't think the website will last very long.
there was an android app that I can't remember then name of (it was meant to be a free alternative to tasker) that only offered Facebook authentication. What was weird was that the app was made by microsoft.

Other than that, the only things I've seen with no FB alternative are the pages that require you to like in order to view their content that's actually on facebook. And they're usually shit pages that rehost stuff you can find on reddit or youtube.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I don't think it's a great conspiracy, I think it's just that it's a widespread, easy to implement authentication system. No doubt there are other advantages to it (increasing likes on fb increases their exposure etc) but I doubt most of these companies are really data mining.

You're probably right that these other companies aren't data mining, but Facebook definitely is data mining. And that's the messed up part.
Blabbermouth just did this when they revamped their site, it eliminated the trolls for the most part but it also removed years worth of great posts. If I run into this I just use my wife's login since I don't have a facebook, saves me from having to screw with that crap, most of the time the sites that require it only require it for when you're posting something, though.
Quote by archangels
You're probably right that these other companies aren't data mining, but Facebook definitely is data mining. And that's the messed up part.

That shouldn't really be surprising though. Are they really meant to host all the data you give them and not use it?

It's used to make ads more targeted which makes their ad space more valuable.

If you're concerned about your data, don't give it to them.

Quote by element4433
I have a few FB accounts, one is empty that I link to everything. I imagine those sites send info to FB though
i don't have a Facebook

greener pastures over here man. just delete it and don't look back
I have Facebook because I'm not a loser. However, I haven't really had any issues with sites requiring FB access. The few that did were sketchy sites that I didn't really need to access anyway.
What sites make you use Facebook? If they do, I probably wouldn't be using them in the first place.
Skip the username, call me Billy
the only thing i have that is synced with facebook is spotify. nothing else i tried to sign up for had it be a mandatory thing.
Quote by aerosmithfan95
What sites make you use Facebook? If they do, I probably wouldn't be using them in the first place.

It's usually sites I see people sharing on Facebook (makes me wonder if it was auto-shared by the website itself) be it music, something funny, etc.

Some sites block the content and use Facebook as an age validation (like are you over 13?) while others block the content until you "like" their page or use their Facebook app. I've had to go through a Facebook app to buy concert tickets once as well.
It combats trolls. It is also why I won't be posting on ESPN anymore.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Aren't most things that force you to use Facebook those crappy "Like us and let us post on your wall to see the funny picture of the cat" things?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I would prefer everything I've logged into, etc. not be posted on other people's news feeds. I don't give a shit about data mining I just prefer to have control over what is publicly spread via or linked to myself from the perspective of people who I've added as friends.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA