So as of late I hit some bad times with my amp and cab. On Saturday I found out one of my speakers wasn't working right (as in no sound was being produced from it). I'm not sure if it's possibly a wiring problem or if the speak just went dead.

The other problem I've been having, is when I switch from the overdrive channel on my amp to the clean channel and then back to the OD channel, there seems to be a difference in level of sound, where it seems the volume drops on the OD channel. Even though the volume on both are set at the same level.

So for my questions

1) What do I need to look at/do when replacing speakers. Especially, since I'm considering just replacing both speakers?

2) What would/could be the cause in drop between volume on the OD channel when switching back between it and the clean?

Also, I'm willing to submit a video if that might help identify the problem.

As for the amp and the cab.

The Amp is a Blackstar HT50 and the cab is a Blackstar HTV212.
What is the over impedance of the cab now?
What speakers are they using and what watts/ohms?
What impedance options do you have on the amp (doesn't really matter)
Is the volume problem new?
Does the amp have seperate EQs/Vol for each channel?
If so, set those up for the sound/volume you want - you can't expect them to be the same if set the same.
You may also have a borked preamp tube.
Quote by BazookaSteve
So as of late I hit some bad times with my amp and cab. On Saturday I found out one of my speakers wasn't working right (as in no sound was being produced from it). I'm not sure if it's possibly a wiring problem or if the speak just went dead.

if you have a multi meter then you can check continuity over the speaker and find out if it is the speaker or the wiring. just unhook both speakers and check for continuity across the posts.

i would usually guess the speaker, wiring isn't usually the culprit but it is possible.

edit: replacing the speaker is easy and can be performed by someone with no experience (with some technical skills). usually speakers are just connected with spade connectors that can be attached/detached by hand. take a picture of the original wiring before starting for a reference and connect the new speakers the same way.

you will want 16 ohm speakers for your cabinet.

Quote by BazookaSteve
The other problem I've been having, is when I switch from the overdrive channel on my amp to the clean channel and then back to the OD channel, there seems to be a difference in level of sound, where it seems the volume drops on the OD channel. Even though the volume on both are set at the same level.

this is not too much of a problem, your clean and OD channels have separate volume knobs. exploit their functionality to even out the volume levels. just because OD channels are associated with a louder sound doesn't mean the OD channels should be as loud as the clean channel when the volumes are set to the same number.

i usually set both channels to full volume and then dial back the louder channel until i get a mix i prefer. use the master volume to then control the overall volume level of the amp.

Quote by BazookaSteve
1) What do I need to look at/do when replacing speakers. Especially, since I'm considering just replacing both speakers?

figure out how much you can spend and what kinda tone you want and then find the speaker. if you don't know anything about speakers then you can tell us this stuff:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

and then we'll recommend speakers.

check out youtube clips of stuff we recommend. try out every cab you can come across at friend's houses and local stores so you can have some real world experience.

Quote by BazookaSteve
2) What would/could be the cause in drop between volume on the OD channel when switching back between it and the clean?

1) some design of the circuit makes the clean channel sound louder

2) inadequate use of the amp's volume knobs to compensate for the discrepancy
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 22, 2013,
The HTV212 speaker cabinet has two, 16-ohm Celestion speakers.
There are two different input jacks: mono (8 ohms) & stereo (2 SEPARATE 16 ohms).
Make sure your amp is connected to the mono jack, otherwise one speaker will seem to be dead - because it is not connected.