Poll: What should we do about pit bulls?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should we do about pit bulls?
Let people have them
105 72%
Make them illegal to own
15 10%
Exterminate them as a dog breed
26 18%
Voters: 146.
Page 1 of 6
Pit bulls are very aggressive dog species. They attack people for no reason sometimes. More people are killed by pit bulls than any other breed of dog. They make up less than 5% of the dogs in the US but contributed over 60% of all deaths by dog since 2005 (http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2012.php).
I am thinking about this because on christmas day, my aunt owns a pit bull, and for no reason it grabbed my other aunts cat and just ripped it in half. We were all just sitting there eating dinner and BAM it happens.
Should we do nothing, make them illegal, or exterminate them as a breed?
Poll incoming.
Last edited by macashmack at Aug 22, 2013,
Making illegal would work, but it seems a bit total. Just make it so that people have to pass a course in order to own a 'dangerous dog' breed, similar to a driving test. Then demand regular checks on the dog's behaviour every few years, similar to an MOT.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
by making them illegal. wouldn't that race of dogs more or less go extinct if everyone followed that law?

I find the entire fetisch of having pets/animals that you own of any species a bit weird in all honesty.

I do however like that we (as a species) have to hunt for sharks in an entire sea whenever a shark attacks a swimmer. that shit is just hilariously stupid.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Aug 22, 2013,
Have we heard the dogs side of the story yet?
surely the cat was up to no good
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Oh and I fully support the ripping apart of cats.
Ah. THIS thread again.

Ultimately responsibility needs to lie with the owners. Of course some breeds are more aggressive than others, but raised well they can be absolutely fine. I know certainly Staffordshire Bull Terriers are quite a popular breed in the UK, and can be lovely. The problem is a lot of the time they get associated with being aggresive and tough-guy dogs, so people who think they're the shiznit get them and train them to be complete little shits.

The main problem with them isn't necessarily that they're the most aggressive breed (as they're not), it's that they're so powerful that in cases when they do attack, it does a lot of damage.

EDIT: I should probably also mention, a dog attacking a killing a cat because it's a cat isn't that unusual, you realise TS? Dogs generally like to hunt.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Aug 22, 2013,
I have a boxer/pit bull mix, suck it.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Perhaps pit bulls have a higher frequency of genetic mutations that cause mental diseases associated with anger and aggression, or perhaps some dogs just get fed up.

Tiny dogs chew the **** out of your shoe, big dogs chew the **** out of you.

Really though, I want to know why the cat was ripped apart. It wasn't for no reason; I have a cat. They don't do things for no reason, there's always a dastardly and malevolent concoction of evilness brewing in their minds and is the driving force for anything they do.

Surely the dog was acting in self defense

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Quote by Todd Hart
Just make it so that people have to pass a course in order to own a 'dangerous dog' breed, similar to a driving test. Then demand regular checks on the dog's behaviour every few years, similar to an MOT.

/thread

EDIT: That poll is dildos.
Last edited by Skullivan at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by macashmack
Pit bulls are very aggressive dog species. They attack people for no reason sometimes. More people are killed by pit bulls than any other breed of dog. They make up less than 5% of the dogs in the US but contributed over 60% of all deaths by dog since 2005 (http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2012.php).
I am thinking about this because on christmas day, my aunt owns a pit bull, and for no reason it grabbed my other aunts cat and just ripped it in half. We were all just sitting there eating dinner and BAM it happens.
Should we do nothing, make them illegal, or exterminate them as a breed?
Poll incoming.

Seriously?

Pitbulls are NOT very aggressive dogs. They are very strong dogs. The reason people think they are aggressive is bc they are loyal, thus easily trained to become aggressive for the purpose of fighting. Most pitbulls who attack people "for no reason" were probably trained or born in a fighting environment.

Seriously, where did you get the facts/research aside from the number of deaths?

It's people who train dogs for cruel shit like this who should be exterminated.

Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Perhaps pit bulls have a higher frequency of genetic mutations that cause mental diseases associated with anger and aggression, or perhaps some dogs just get fed up.

This too. Plenty of pit bulls are in bred to bring out the strong gene. Again, done by people who breed and train pitbulls for fighting.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Last edited by kikaykitko at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by kikaykitko
Seriously?

Pitbulls are NOT very aggressive dogs. They are very strong dogs. The reason people think they are aggressive is bc they are loyal, thus easily trained to become aggressive for the purpose of fighting. Most pitbulls who attack people "for no reason" were probably trained or born in a fighting environment.

Seriously, where did you get the facts/research aside from the number of deaths?

It's people who train dogs for cruel shit like this who should be exterminated.

This too. Plenty of pit bulls are in bred to bring out the strong gene. Again, done by people who breed and train pitbulls for fighting.

Rubbish, pitbulls are aggressive - just as all other dogs are aggressive - due to a mixture of pack-mentality and stupidity. Pitbulls are obscenely strong, however, which means that pitbull attacks are far more dangerous, and due to their size pitbulls are more likely to feel confident enough to attack anyway. While this doesn't mean they are more aggressive, it does mean they are functionally more aggressive.

And training can't really make genes express themselves...
Quote by bradulator
I have a boxer/pit bull mix, suck it.

my wife and i adopted a boxer/pit mix and she's the sweetest dog i've ever had and everyone that meets her loves her. ban the bad owners, not the breed
My mom's cat was literally torn apart on her front lawn by 3 pit bulls. I still think they should be legal to own, but the owners are absolute morons in general.
"OMG my pitbull ate a cat! Pitbulls are so aggressive".

Pitbulls eat things that are smaller than them.do you not know what a ****ing dog inherently is? A four legged meat eating machine. do you think just cause you scratch their ass there any different from the dogs running through the woods.

I feel sorry for your pitbull TS. You guys sound like you dont knwo what your doing.
A friend of mine's dog is the sweetest thing you'll ever find. Great with kids, wouldn't hurt a fly, loves people, all the things that make good dogs for most people.

He's also a pit bull.

It's not because X dog is inherently dangerous, it's because lackadaisical idiot owners think that letting the dog do whatever the hell it wants other than pooping inside the house and giving it treats every now and then is a good way to train them to be controlled and good around people and other animals. That, and stupid people do stupid things like pinch a dog's nose or yank its tail and are somehow surprised when it's upset with them.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 22, 2013,
I know a lady who has managed to get her labrador to be a biting, dangerous animal.

Ban ******ed dog owners, not dogs that are just following instinct.
Quote by kikaykitko

I wasn't really being serious...
Quote by captainsnazz

They're like the chavs of the doge world.

I'm trying to imagine a pitbull acting like a chav

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
the only pitbulls i've ever met have been the most docile and friendly dogs, much less aggressive than most breeds

they're just harder to train is my guess, so yeah, just regulate things better, but the same rule should apply to all dogs, especially the tiny ones, loud pets should be banned to hell
Pit Bulls are the best dogs in the world. Very loving, playful and protective dogs. It depends on how the owner trains the dog
I know several people with pitbulls and they are some of the sweetest dogs i've ever met. It depend on how you raise them. If you are an asshole your dog will be one too. That's like saying we should outlaw children because the parents raise their children in the Westboro Baptist Church and now they're burning gays at the stake. A bit reactionary if you ask me.
~My Gear~
68 Sunn Sorado
Acoustic 4x12
89 Epiphone LP Honeyburst
Boss ME-70

Fender Dreadnought Acoustic
Ibanez RG350DX
Blackstar HT-5R
Orange CR35LDX
Vox Tonelab ST
My friend has a blue pitt and its one of the best dogs I know. Pit bulls are the shit.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Dumb, status pet used to look cool, and that's a big part of the problem. People get dogs and don't want to put in the work necessary to have a good tempered dog.

German Shepherd dogs for the win!
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
every pitbull ive known has been incredibly friendly and playful. maybe people should just stop being shitty owners
I feel sorry for TS's aunt's dog because s/he has such a shit owner.

You TS? You're a piece of shit and should ram a railroad spike up your ass.
Terrier were bred for taking down the prey in a hunt. Huge, powerful jaws so they could bite and not let go till the prey was down. As such they have certain tics and tendencies, but if brought up like pets and not by aggressive idiots, they're loving, playful, and maybe a bit hyperactive for their strength (one accidentally headbutted me when it was a little hyper), but like many dogs, they won't be aggressive if you treat them right.

A lot of it is the image they've been given.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
They're too aggressive, it's in their blood to kill, no amount of love and training can get rid of that.

waaaaah idc I like them it's the owner's fault not the dog

The same people saying this probably support tight gun control and disregard the whole "guns don't kill, people do" thing. Maybe if you had to go through training and get a license to own a pit bull I wouldn't care.

Pit bulls are disgusting anyway.
sunbather is shit
I remember hearing a story as a kid about a cat killing and eating a chihuahua puppy. Apparently the owners left them in a room together whilst they went out for the day and they came back to a room with a cat and a mess. I don't know if it's true but it's awesome to think about because chihuahuas are cunts.

OT: I don't have anything else to add.
Quote by tukk04
I feel sorry for TS's aunt's dog because s/he has such a shit owner.

You TS? You're a piece of shit and should ram a railroad spike up your ass.

How am I a piece of shit?
How is the dog a victim? The family that raised it is has had 2 dogs in the past. They are those crazy dog lovers who read novels on the subject and consider themselves doctors of the subject. All 3 of their dogs were/are incredibly well raised. The dog they had before the pit bull lived to be 19 years old. My aunt even brushes her dogs teeth everyday. Don't assume to know the family based on the actions of their stupid animal.

You guys might not like to hear it but pit bulls ARE a more dangerous dog breed. They become aggressive and violent more often and for less reason than any other dog breed.

Quote by beefcake122
They're too aggressive, it's in their blood to kill, no amount of love and training can get rid of that.

The same people saying this probably support tight gun control and disregard the whole "guns don't kill, people do" thing. Maybe if you had to go through training and get a license to own a pit bull I wouldn't care.

Pit bulls are disgusting anyway.

I was actually going to bring this point up.
We as a human race shouldn't even have the audacity to consider exterminating any species unless the human species as a whole is at stake. Yes Pit Bulls can be aggressive animals, but that mostly has to do with how they're raised. I own a Pit Bull and he is a very docile & loving pet, who even sleeps in my bed without ever having an issue with aggression. People kill more people than any other species or race on the planet, but we don't consider offing any specific race just because they may be statistically more dangerous or prone to violence. If anything, as some people have already stated, Pit Bull owners could possibly be required to pass certain tests & safety guidelines to ensure they raise their animal in a non-aggressive manner.

The bottom line is that they are simply animals with natural instincts and in the broad scheme of things, they aren't all that dangerous and they can actually provide a great security to a family. If a robber breaks in to my house, I know i feel a lot more comfortable with a Pit Bull in my corner rather than say a maltese or poodle. If you're scared of them, then simply avoid them & don't purchase or rescue one yourself. They are awesome animals who only become violent if they are trained to do so or if they feel threatened (as most animals do the same). Anyone who wants to exterminate the breed is pathetic and immature to the fact that they're just animals (why not exterminate lions, tigers, hippos, bears, etc. because they all pose a threat).

The only Pit Bull that should be exterminated is that poor excuse for a singer/artist with his corny accent and Bud Light commercials because he is more detrimental to society!

Quote by beefcake122
The same people saying this probably support tight gun control and disregard the whole "guns don't kill, people do" thing.
I'm in the middle ground on this debate for obvious reasons, but this quote here

they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by festivalinhell
That's like saying we should outlaw children because the parents raise their children in the Westboro Baptist Church and now they're burning gays at the stake. A bit reactionary if you ask me.

There was a time when children were outlawed?
Nah, blame the owners. I've met a lot of pit bulls in the shelters and they're so nice. Owners should really know how their dog behaves especially if near other animals and children.
STಠ_ಠ