Picked up a Peavey Vandenberg in original hard case for $300 this afternoon. The guitar is in good shape and mostly original, except for the modded pickups. It appears the original components were replaced with a PJ Marx Sustainiac HFM2 system. I'm sure it would be ideal for this guitar to be in it's original condition, but does the mod drastically affect the value and quality? I have the trem arm, original single pickup, and the potentiometer. I've only seriously put effort into the guitar over the past month, so my knowledge is severely limited. I just can't help myself when it comes to vintage goodies, especially music related. Pics below:

First off, score on the Series 2 Vandy . The value really depends on the buyer. The added value of the Sustainiac system may offset what value you've lost with the extra holes and routing. Mods do generally devalue collector guitars though, but I wouldn't exactly call a Series 2 Vandenberg a collector's item. The Puzzle Vandy's are really the only truly collectible examples in the series, followed by the neck-thru examples and perhaps low serial number Series 1 guitars. They are great players though, and have a unique design.

Oh, and I think the nut lock blocks are still available from Kahler. Yours seem to be missing, and I don't think Floyd Rose blocks will fit.
Thanks for the feedback. Fortunately, the locking nut was included. I think the only original component missing is the humbucker. Is it the bridge that separates the two versions? Or are there other signs that point to that? The serial number is in the 3000 range.
The bridge is the only obvious difference that I know of. I haven't played a completely stock Vandenberg to know, but I'm told that the pickups were slightly different between the first and second series, and the bridge changed from the Killer to the Spyder. The original run was limited to 3000 units, so any serial after 3000 will be a Series 2. My Vandenberg is #1825, so it's in the middle of the first series and has the Killer trem.

On a side note, these guitars have the best ebony fretboards that I have ever seen outside of high end customs. Very tight grained, and very dark.
Nope, if that's a kahler spidyr, it's not a direct upgrade to a OFR. You're probably going to have to replace the entire trem and mounting posts, soft soft metal
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Sorry, was that directed at me? This bridge doesn't appear to have any issues at the moment. I am having issues with the sustainiac system though. The active portion does not seem to be responding as it should. I'm getting screeching and hissing sounds. The single coil pickup sounds fine though. My buddy was ravin' about how low the action is and mentioned that it has nice intonation.
Quote by DarthV
Nope, if that's a kahler spidyr, it's not a direct upgrade to a OFR. You're probably going to have to replace the entire trem and mounting posts, soft soft metal

Nobody asked about retrofitting an OFR.

Quote by oliade677
Sorry, was that directed at me? This bridge doesn't appear to have any issues at the moment. I am having issues with the sustainiac system though. The active portion does not seem to be responding as it should. I'm getting screeching and hissing sounds. The single coil pickup sounds fine though. My buddy was ravin' about how low the action is and mentioned that it has nice intonation.

I would check the wiring on the Sustainiac, or have a tech do it if you aren't comfortable. You never know if it was wired correctly or not, and if all the switches and solder joints are in good shape. The pickups or circuit board can also be faulty, if nothing else. The neck pickup looks like a single coil sized, blade type humbucker. Every Sustainiac type system I have ever seen (which are the Fernandes and Kramer units) have the Sustainer in the neck position due to the larger (higher amplitude) signal from the strings. You can put it in either place, but I would check to see how it is wired, exactly.

My Vandy intonates as well as any of my other guitars, but the action can be very low indeed. It is a shred machine, no doubt.
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just a quick update. The sustainiac system is now working. The batteries were not making proper contact, which did not allow the system to engage. It's extremely sensitive and would probably shred in the right hands.