Hi, I'm looking to spend around £200-£300 on a guitar that will sound good enough for jamming and occasional live playing. I play lots of rock/metal and some cleans. I like lots of bands, spanning from those I picked up in highschool like Avenged Sevenfold and My Chemical Romance to bands like BTBAM which I am only recently getting into. I play together with some friends covering classic rock though, which is really fun, but the most people we played in front of is under 30 people

I'm not a very serious guitar player but I do like guitars that can sound good. I currently have a blackstar Ht5 for practising at home.

I liked the look of the Ibanez SZ320, but they don't make those anymore, and the current range of Ibanez confuses me a little (I'm not bright). Its spec's seemed fair for the price, I'm looking for something similar.
I also really like Schecter C1 standards, but they are soo expensive in the UK If I could find one though, I'd go with something like this.

Are there any guitars I can find easily in the UK similar to ether of those guitars. I quite like the superstrat shape and mahogany wood, and two humbuckers, although I'd probably be putting new pickups in the guitar after a few months, when I rack up some more money!

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations!

Edit: I'd prefer new, but used is probably going to help me get more for my money. It's just I've never bought a used guitar before so I don't know what to look out for, and would like to be able to try before I buy.
Last edited by n0ir at Aug 22, 2013,
Try to find a Rally or Samick guitar, both are cheap makes that do some nice gear,
Silverburst
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 23, 2013,
+1 for the Godin REDLINE - really a nice sounding guitar. The fastest neck I've ever played, amazing for metal tunes
Since you mentioned C1, maybe check out Omen Extreme from Schecter. Not as good but still very good bang for the buck.
I'll second the PRS Custom SE, I just bought one and put about $400 into it just in tuners and pickups haha, amazing guitar though
Guitars:
Agile Interceptor Pro 828
Martin and Fender acoustics

Amp:
Bias amps
I do like the SE, I just don't know if I can afford one :P Second hand maybe, the anderton's one does fit the bill
I'd also really love to try out a godin or a hagstrom, I just have never actually seen one in real life
Id say the Ibanez RG321 or 421. of the 3 electric guitars I currently have, its the cheapest and the best that I own. does rock, metal, and clean really well and should be around 300 pounds. the pickups are a good upgrade choice and the other parts hold up pretty well(stays in tune and doesnt snap strings as much as others).
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by n0ir
I do like the SE, I just don't know if I can afford one :P Second hand maybe, the anderton's one does fit the bill
I'd also really love to try out a godin or a hagstrom, I just have never actually seen one in real life

The link I provided showed some used ones at MF were in your price range. Follow rhe link, then tap on the flag in the upper-right side of the screen to reset the site for your country & currency. Then you'll see!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Cheapest one I've purchased in the last little while has been that Agile AL-2000 Floyd "B Stock."

I figured I'd shake everything out of it and replace it with "better" stuff. But after gluing the frets and running it through the PLEK process and getting the frets all glassy smooth, it looks like I'm going to hang fire on the modifications. The Floyd is cheapo, and I have a German replacement on the shelf, but Gary Brawer did such a good job of setting up the cheapo that for now, there's really no point in pulling it off. The pickups are ceramic-based and fairly hot, but they actually sound pretty good. Tuners are fine, the Floyd setup precludes any tuning glitches, it's got Jumbo frets and a 14" radius and the pots work. I'm not even going to bother switching the knobs. It came with straplocks (evidently the guitar was returned to Rondo with them still on it), so other than playing it, there's just not much to do. Great Bar Guitar.
If you can still find one (they've been discontinued for a while, but some shops may still have stock) a washburn x50pro is probably as close to either of those models as you can get, with (arguably) a better spec than the ibanez and as good a spec as the schecter, for a much better price than the schecter (i agree, schecter prices in the UK are daft, you can pay half as much and get as good a guitar if you know what you're doing, even new).

i think i remember coming across a godin redline for about ~£400 on some online store here, too. If you google (actually, yahoo is arguably better because you can limit the search to within the UK) model names you can often find shops with stock.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
Cheapest one I've purchased in the last little while has been that Agile AL-2000 Floyd "B Stock."

I figured I'd shake everything out of it and replace it with "better" stuff. But after gluing the frets and running it through the PLEK process and getting the frets all glassy smooth, it looks like I'm going to hang fire on the modifications. The Floyd is cheapo, and I have a German replacement on the shelf, but Gary Brawer did such a good job of setting up the cheapo that for now, there's really no point in pulling it off. The pickups are ceramic-based and fairly hot, but they actually sound pretty good. Tuners are fine, the Floyd setup precludes any tuning glitches, it's got Jumbo frets and a 14" radius and the pots work. I'm not even going to bother switching the knobs. It came with straplocks (evidently the guitar was returned to Rondo with them still on it), so other than playing it, there's just not much to do. Great Bar Guitar.

Oh ya I forgot about them...Rondo music sells Agiles, cheapest shit ever but play great IMO.

heres the link Rondo music

I have an 8 string from them and its one of my best guitars.
Guitars:
Agile Interceptor Pro 828
Martin and Fender acoustics

Amp:
Bias amps
Last edited by PantallicaFreak at Aug 23, 2013,
Quote by PantallicaFreak
I'll second the PRS Custom SE, I just bought one and put about $400 into it just in tuners and pickups haha, amazing guitar though

You could have bought a second hand PRS for $900
The older CE22/24 sell for $900+ used all the time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
PRS Se or a MIM Strat are 2 solid choices that sound good out of the box. There are a lot of Agile guitars that are getting lots of love also.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
RG421 seconded.

I'm gonna give mine a black and red swirl paintjob, gold hardware and finally replace the stock neck pup with an EMG 60 (81 in bridge when I bought it).
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA