Can someone shine some light on why you'd need a eq pedal?

I play all genres of metal but I predominately play thrash and power metal with a hint of progressive and neoclassical stuff too.
I'm going through a Laney Ironheart 120 watt head with a custom Harley Benton using eminence wizard speakers and a boss ns2 in the fx loop.

A friend suggested getting a boss eq pedal as well but I have no idea what is use it for, isn't the 3 band eq in the amp enough or is there another reason for it?
I've found EQ's work well in a way where they go somewhat against your amp. Say you're a treble lover, but your amp's EQ gets tinny or harsh when you raise the treble too much. Find the frequencies you like in the upper range on your EQ pedal and use that. Perhaps you have an HSS/HSH guitar and you have the amp's EQ set for your bridge humbucker, but when you switch to the other positions, it's too bassy. Then cut the bass on your EQ pedal and use it when you switch positions.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Ahh ok so basically you can use it in contrast with you amp. My friend said he uses his to cut out the harshness of his v30s.
Do you uses it in the guitar in (what I believe is pre distortion) or in the fx loop (what I believe is post distortion)
if it has a level slider like the boss, you can simply boost the volume like a clean boost. or, perhaps you boost the mid frequencies and use it as a mid boost for solos.

perhaps you want to change your sound up drastically and use it in a few songs as a different tone.

perhaps you want to play at home but limit your amp volume in the house, so you move the slider to like negative 10 DB or something

an EQ pedal is one of the most flexible, possibly useful pedals there are. IF you see a need.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Ok then so It can be really helpful, I like the have my eq set at 5-8-8 as I love the high end but at high volumes in the studio when I play the really high uo the neck on the high D string it sounds a bit harsh, so would the eq pedal smoothen that out (if its set properly)?
Also my boss ns2 finally arrived today and I want it in the fx loop but I'm having trouble working out how to link it up, I was under the impression that I could just plug the fx send (from the amp) into the pedals return the then the pedals send into the amps return but I just get silence.. any know what I'm doing wrong lol
You can use EQ in many ways. You can use it as clean boost to drive your amp more. You can use it for solos so they stand out more in the mix. It's much more verstile then amp EQ which is usually only 3 or 4 knobs while pedal is usually 6-10 sliders. This doesn't mean you shouldnt use your amp EQ, just that pedal will help you shape the sound even more, cutting some frequencies that you are not able to cut with an amp. Also note that cutting is usually better then boosting when it comes to EQ.
My EQ is one of the last pedals I'd ever consider getting rid of. It's so integral to getting my tone. I thought I liked the sound of my 6505+ before I got it -- but now I don't play without it. There's always something about an amp's characteristics that can be improved; that's what an EQ pedal can do. My 6505, for example, had a little "fizz" in the upper end. I tried tube swaps, turning down the highs/presence, reducing gain, etc. All of those had a small degree of effect on the fizz. However, when I got my MXR 10-band, I cut the highest frequency band by about 6 db and the fizz was GONE. Instant huge improvement in tone. Then I started playing around with boosting/cutting various frequencies to get more punch and thicken my tone in all the right areas. It just sounds A LOT better to me now.

Having owned both a Boss GE-7 and an MXR 10-band, I'd say the MXR easily beats the Boss. The Boss I had was fairly noisy -- my MXR is silent. Also, the more bands you have, the more you can fine-tune your tone.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by shredzilla19
Ok then so It can be really helpful, I like the have my eq set at 5-8-8 as I love the high end but at high volumes in the studio when I play the really high uo the neck on the high D string it sounds a bit harsh, so would the eq pedal smoothen that out (if its set properly)?
Also my boss ns2 finally arrived today and I want it in the fx loop but I'm having trouble working out how to link it up, I was under the impression that I could just plug the fx send (from the amp) into the pedals return the then the pedals send into the amps return but I just get silence.. any know what I'm doing wrong lol

I think the NS2 works with four cables. You also need to plug your guitar into the input of the pedal and the output of the pedal into the amp's input. If you want to only use it in your FX loop (I don't see a point), you would plug the FX loop send into the pedal input and pedal output into the FX loop return. But with four cables the pedal suppresses noise both in front of the amp and in the FX loop.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115