I've been playing fingerstyle with long nails for a year now, but recently got fed up with them, because they always get in the way. I'm still in school, so I do a lot of writing and it complicates it, I also do sports and gardening and stuff, so they bother me all the time. I also started to learn percussive guitar, tapping and this is where it comes impossible to tap with those 5-8 mm nails, so i had to cut them off. For example Andy Mckee has only his thumbnail long, but he sounds great, because his nail beds are long etc. But my nail beds are small and fingertips like pillows of soft flesh, so without my nails, I sound really quiet, dull and it is hard to play + I have to really dig into the strings to make a hearable sound, so it makes it even harder. I know I'd adjust to it over some time, but still, I could never sound good with bare fingers. I look similar to this:
ayearinskirts.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_5640.jpg

So my question is: do you know any tips or tricks, how to grow beds of the nails or do something that would help? (I'm already aware of alaska fingerpicks, but don't really like them)
Give us some info on your guitar, size, strings etc. Cheers
Quote by tuxs
Give us some info on your guitar, size, strings etc. Cheers

It's an epiphone DR-100, dreadnought, currently I'm using 11-52 daddario EXP's
I really don't understand why you have to "really dig into the strings to make a hearable sound"
I have stumpy little fingers an no nails but manage to finger pick. Perhaps a guitar setup and a set of .012 strings would give you a bit more volume.
Now that I've lived without my nails for a few days, I'm starting to adjust a bit and it's easier, but it still doesn't compare to the sound I used to produce with those claws
Quote by FingerstyleVM
Now that I've lived without my nails for a few days, I'm starting to adjust a bit and it's easier, but it still doesn't compare to the sound I used to produce with those claws
Well, flesh will always sound softer than keratin, them's the breaks. That said, you haven't given yourself a chance to build up callouses on your picking hand fingers.

Besides the tonality, it's also easier to get volume with nails. The moral here is, you'll have to pull harder

I'm not sure what the big deal is with tapping though. It seems to me, as long as there's enough nail to contact the sound board, you should be able to get all, or at least most, of the effect.

I really think "nail beds" are more of a genetic sort of issue, rather than an issue to be cured by medicine, or cutting a check to Musician's Friend.

Rumor and folk medicine have it that drinking gelatin will strengthen the nails themselves.

If you really feel the need for more complete dose of incorrect or incomplete information, there's always "WebMD". God knows, we're not even supposed to tackle medical issues, just tell the TS, "see a doctor".