Recently I've been using 11-52 on my epiphone DR-100. I play in alternate tunnings and tune down a lot. The guitar has high action and really stiff-feeling, so I can even tune down 2,5 steps to B (standard baritone tunning) and sound almost well, but still, I've been thinking of getting heavy strings for better feel and sound in these low tunnings, not any thinner than 13's-14's i think. In the other hand, since it is a cheap 100 bucks guitar, I don't know if it would handle 13-16 strings. Sure, I would adjust the truss rod if needed, but I really don't want to get it worked up too much or ruin it, you know.
Any advices?
if you're tuning down, 13s (which are mediums, not heavy strings) should be fine. adjusting your truss rod wouldn't help protect the guitar if it's got more string tension than it could handle, as the potential issues you'd be looking at would be slowly pulling off your bridge or needing a neck reset. having a more expensive guitar wouldn't change this - in fact, very expensive guitars tend to be more lightly built.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by FingerstyleVM
Recently I've been using 11-52 on my epiphone DR-100. I play in alternate tunnings and tune down a lot. The guitar has high action and really stiff-feeling, so I can even tune down 2,5 steps to B (standard baritone tunning) and sound almost well, but still, I've been thinking of getting heavy strings for better feel and sound in these low tunnings, not any thinner than 13's-14's i think. In the other hand, since it is a cheap 100 bucks guitar, I don't know if it would handle 13-16 strings. Sure, I would adjust the truss rod if needed, but I really don't want to get it worked up too much or ruin it, you know.
Any advices?

Are you complaining about the high action in standard tuning? That gets fixed by sanding down the saddle, NOT adjusting the truss rod. The truss does get set first (!), but only enough to adjust the neck "relief". After that, you sand down the saddle for the string height.

If you put mediums on the guitar, it will sound better when tuned down. Just remember, you will be stressing the neck MORE in standard tuning, and the action will be stiffer and higher! (At least without any adjustment made from its current state).. There is a tension differential of about 20 Lbs between acoustic lights, and mediums.
Quote by Captaincranky
Are you complaining about the high action in standard tuning? That gets fixed by sanding down the saddle, NOT adjusting the truss rod. The truss does get set first (!), but only enough to adjust the neck "relief". After that, you sand down the saddle for the string height.

If you put mediums on the guitar, it will sound better when tuned down. Just remember, you will be stressing the neck MORE in standard tuning, and the action will be stiffer and higher! (At least without any adjustment made from its current state).. There is a tension differential of about 20 Lbs between acoustic lights, and mediums.

I'm not complaining about the action... I just mentioned it, to emphasise, that my guitar handles low tunnings well, but I still want to get a better feel and sound, that is why I'm asking if heavy strings would break my guitar. I've only been playing for a year and only had one guitar, I didn't know if all the guitars could handle high amounts of tensions. Anyways, thanks for taking your time
Quote by FingerstyleVM
I'm not complaining about the action... I just mentioned it, to emphasise, that my guitar handles low tunnings well, but I still want to get a better feel and sound, that is why I'm asking if heavy strings would break my guitar. I've only been playing for a year and only had one guitar, I didn't know if all the guitars could handle high amounts of tensions. Anyways, thanks for taking your time

The problem you may run into is this. Medium, (or heavier), strings are superior for lower tunings, but offer too much tension for E-E standard tunings. Especially in the presence of a high action, which increases tension in its own right.

With heavier strings, you should consider tuning down after playing in E standard tuning. Most guitars ship with light strings, ostensibly for their own good, and to avoid warranty claims. Plan "B", is obviously to procure a second guitar for alternate tunings, it that's possible.

The reason I asked if you were complaining about the high action, was simply to enable us to tackle one issue at a time if you were..
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 23, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky
The problem you may run into is this. Medium, (or heavier), strings are superior for lower tunings, but offer too much tension for E-E standard tunings. Especially in the presence of a high action, which increases tension in its own right.

With heavier strings, you should consider tuning down after playing in E standard tuning. Most guitars ship with light strings, ostensibly for their own good, and to avoid warranty claims. Plan "B", is obviously to procure a second guitar for alternate tunings, it that's possible.

The reason I asked if you were complaining about the high action, was simply to enable us to tackle one issue at a time if you were..

Thanks for the feedback man