So I've been thinking about trying out a wireless system, since I move a lot around the stage and hate getting stuck in all my cables. I was thinking about something about 100 €, including second-hand stuff.

So right now I am deciding between Shure T4N (used), AKG WMS 40 Mini (new), or the Thomann's t.bone thingy. Any advice on that matter would be greatly appreciated.

Just yesterday I tried out a used Samson Stage 55 and it was HORRIBLE. I kept losing the signal all the time.
You could save up and get a Line 6 Relay G50/30. I used to own a Shure T4N, but i really hated the way it twisted my guitar's sound. I have gigged a lot with the Relay, and it never crapped out on me, doesn't interfer with your natural sound, and has quite the range.

The only downside is that it EATS batteries. But, since me and our bassist got a set of rechargables, that's not considered a problem anymore.

So, don't buy the T4N, and look into these Line6 units.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Les Paul Tribute 50's
Gibson Midtown Custom
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Telecaster Standard
Gretsch Corvette
Danelectro DC59

Crybaby | TS9 | Korg | Little Big Muff | PS-6| MXR Chorus | TC Spark| DL4
I wouldn't recommend going cheaper than the Line 6 G30. I've known many guys who use cheap systems. At best, it kills your tone, and at worst they cut out and break down in the middle of shows.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
The Joyo one (or ones, I can't really remember), are cheap indeed.

Don't know about the quality, but if it's the same as their pedals', go for it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I have a Line 6 G-55 wireless unit and it was money well spent. 300 foot range, no tone loss. Just remember to change battery's before the show lol.
Honestly, unless you play strictly clean your going to want to shell out the extra money for a quality wireless system. Even when your playing clean, your tone gets really sterile and you lose a whole lot of sustain.

Some people are recommending the Line 6 G-30 - I say maybe. The problem with the G-30 is it comes with a plastic transmitter that is easily broken, and an expensive repair. The Line 6 G-50, and G-55 are only slightly more expensive and come with quality metal transmitters.

I have a G-55 and I'm quite happy with it. It's still not as great as having a cable, but its as close as your going to get. Most people wont be able to tell the difference.

It's also worth mentioning that it would be wise to invest in really short cables for your wireless>pedals>amp so you don't get any lag. If you have a wireless system that is made to transmit up to 300 ft, plus a 21 ft cable going from the wireless receiver into your pedals, and then another 12 foot cable running from your pedals to your amp then your signal has a very long path to run through before it gets to the speakers, causing lag. In short, get shorter cables if your switching to wireless.

If your only option is to go cheap, its my personal recommendation that you just buy a longer cable, or decide to spend your money on a different part of your rig. The cheap wireless systems are just simply not gig-worthy.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Last edited by Vypor at Aug 23, 2013,
OK guys, thanks for the advice... it seems it would be best to save for that G30 or 50... for now I'll just have to watch out for those cables onstage

And while we're at it, can you give any advice on how to manage those cables so that they are not all over the place when I plug everything in? Maybe a pedalboard and taping footswitch and effects-to-amp cables together would do the trick?
Quote by Vypor
Honestly, unless you play strictly clean your going to want to shell out the extra money for a quality wireless system. Even when your playing clean, your tone gets really sterile and you lose a whole lot of sustain.

Some people are recommending the Line 6 G-30 - I say maybe. The problem with the G-30 is it comes with a plastic transmitter that is easily broken, and an expensive repair. The Line 6 G-50, and G-55 are only slightly more expensive and come with quality metal transmitters.

I have a G-55 and I'm quite happy with it. It's still not as great as having a cable, but its as close as your going to get. Most people wont be able to tell the difference.

It's also worth mentioning that it would be wise to invest in really short cables for your wireless>pedals>amp so you don't get any lag. If you have a wireless system that is made to transmit up to 300 ft, plus a 21 ft cable going from the wireless receiver into your pedals, and then another 12 foot cable running from your pedals to your amp then your signal has a very long path to run through before it gets to the speakers, causing lag. In short, get shorter cables if your switching to wireless.

If your only option is to go cheap, its my personal recommendation that you just buy a longer cable, or decide to spend your money on a different part of your rig. The cheap wireless systems are just simply not gig-worthy.

You do know how fast electrical signal propagates, right?

If not let's mention that in coax it travels at about 66% of the speed of light.

You do not get audible 'lag' from long cables. The difference between a 3' cable and a 300' cable would be measured in millionths of a second, nowhere near enough to be audible.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
You do know how fast electrical signal propagates, right?

If not let's mention that in coax it travels at about 66% of the speed of light.

You do not get audible 'lag' from long cables. The difference between a 3' cable and a 300' cable would be measured in millionths of a second, nowhere near enough to be audible.

What you say makes sense, and it may not necessarily be a noticeable lag as I mentioned before, but there is certainly some dissipation of signal. If this were not true, then what would be the point of adding signal buffers into your chain when using more than 5 or 6 pedals?

You lose tonal characteristics when you create an overtly long, unnecessary path to you signals destination - this was something I learned extensively about when I was building a large pedal board for my guitar rig. I bought a bunch of "true bypass" pedals only to find that my tone was different when I plugged straight into the amp as opposed to my pedal board.

At first, I thought - hey what makes this "true bypass" if my signal is being altered; doesn't that defeat the entire point of this feature? What I found was that the more pedals you have, or the longer the cable you have(without a buffer), the longer its going to take for your signal to reach the speakers which is going to result in a some tonal loss.

To the OP regarding your messy cables:
I put my pedal board in front of my amp, away from the audience and run all my wires underneath the cab. This keeps things pretty neat, however the problem with this setup is that you have to turn your back on the audience in order to disengage/engage your pedals - but you are far less likely to trip over anything because you only have one cable to be cognizant of. Either way has its sacrifices and benefits.

I recommend against using duct tape. For one, it really only works well the first time you apply it. Secondly, the residue it leaves behind can make a real mess of your cables, and it doesn't really look very good either.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
You're comparing pedals to a long wire.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne