Hey,
I currently have an EVH 5150III 50W Head that I run through my Orange PPC212-OB (Open back) cab. Cranked up it sounds amazing (best amp I've ever heard IMO) But at 'bedroom level' it sounds crap so I end up using my POD HD.
I've seen demos of people using this Head at bedroom level with different cabs (Zilla, Mesa, Marshall etc) and they sound 10x better than mine.
Is the cab to blame? When my band starts gigging again I'm going to get a Zilla 2x12 Super FatBoy but do you guys think it's time to upgrade sooner rather than later?

Cheers
Usually, big amps sound better when cranked, that's no secret.

I think the people you've seen on youtube could have

-Actually played at a higher volume than you think, or
-Used less sensible speakers in their cabs.

The V30s in your orange cab are really nice and sensible, but the mesa cab I've seen actually have V30s in them, too.

Marshall's use G12T 75s, Greenbacks or V30s as well.

Even though I don't know about the zilla cabs, I guess they were just playing at a considerable volume.

So, to answer your question, I see no real reason why you should hurry buying a new cab, and actually I don't even see why you would even when you'll start gigging.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Usually, big amps sound better when cranked, that's no secret.

I think the people you've seen on youtube could have

-Actually played at a higher volume than you think, or
-Used less sensible speakers in their cabs.

The V30s in your orange cab are really nice and sensible, but the mesa cab I've seen actually have V30s in them, too.

Marshall's use G12T 75s, Greenbacks or V30s as well.

Even though I don't know about the zilla cabs, I guess they were just playing at a considerable volume.

So, to answer your question, I see no real reason why you should hurry buying a new cab, and actually I don't even see why you would even when you'll start gigging.

Cheers for the fast and detailed reply.
The main reason I want to upgrade when I start gigging again is because I much prefer Closed back cabs. I've played closed backs and I much prefer them to open backs. The only reason I got the Open Back was that I needed a cab fast and it was the best thing I could afford.
No problem

Anyway, have a look at the Harley Benton G212 Vintage if you have time.

Thay are basically closed back and black versions of your orange cab, for €200 each.

For €350 they also have 4x12s, but since they are sold from thomann you could have to search a bit to find some if you're not in europe.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
it could be the open-backed thing, i suppose

can you put it tight against a wall? won't be ideal, but should sort of close of the back a bit. Or even (be careful you don't banjax the cab/speakers doing this) jam a strategically-sized bit of wood or plywood into the open back of your cab.

Just to let you hear the effect (approximately) of closing the back, before spending any money.

bear in mind the other clips you've heard might not be totally indicative of how the thing sounds if you were in the room with it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Zilla cabs are stunning, so happy with mine.

But i dont see the real problem, its gonna have to be cranked slightly to get the better tone. Could use a volume pedal/attenuater?(spelling is wrong i know)
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Must be the open-back thing going on. I too have a 50 watt EVH and can tell you that is still sounds great at bedroom levels. I can play mine with a recordable tone at 4am. I use a Marshall 1936 which is a closed back 2x12 with G12T75s.

I also crank my resonance up to max. I find that I only turn my resonance down from max when turning up the volume. More volume makes the speakers move more naturally, so having higher resonance at the low volumes help give you the low end that you need.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.