i'm trying to find someone that makes a les paul stuio-ish type guitar. i'm trying to find a chambered mahogany guitar, like the bluesbird with an ebony neck but not as big. just a regular sized les paul or maybe slightly smaller. i like the gibson studio but i wish there was a little more wood in the core of the body.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 23, 2013,
Last edited by Blackfire. at Aug 23, 2013,
Quote by Blackfire.

i'd like to know why the seller believes this is a 150. nice guitar but i don't think it's a 150 personally. and he's on crack with the price.

TS - what's the budget here?

why chambered mahogany? not judging, just curious as to why. what's the end game there?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 24, 2013,
budget: $1500 maybe more.thx for the replies guys
Last edited by gambit1983 at Aug 24, 2013,
Quote by gregs1020
i'd like to know why the seller believes this is a 150. nice guitar but i don't think it's a 150 personally. and he's on crack with the price.

TS - what's the budget here?

why chambered mahogany? not judging, just curious as to why. what's the end game there?

i like the way they sound? they are lighter...
What you want is a Korina V.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by gambit1983
i like the way they sound? they are lighter...

In that case, you might want to look for a Reverend Roundhouse- it was Reverend's take on the LP design, made with tonally similar but physically lighter korina. They don't make them anymore, but they do show up on the used market.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by gregs1020

Serial number matches the specs on Tokai registry. Why do you think it's not one?
Could someone please tell me where the Dean Strettavita guitars are manufactured? I can't find that information anywhere. They look great, but for $400-500 new, I'm skeptical of the quality and curious if they truly look/play as nice as the pics make them look.
Quote by samuraigoomba
Could someone please tell me where the Dean Strettavita guitars are manufactured? I can't find that information anywhere. They look great, but for $400-500 new, I'm skeptical of the quality and curious if they truly look/play as nice as the pics make them look.

I have no idea where they are made. The website in the about section says:

"For the first time ever...I’m offering you my guitars factory-direct…saving you money on my latest designed, top-quality guitars. Eliminating the unnecessary cost of shipping, distribution and sales commissions here in the USA…You save big money!”

Also there's a 30 money back in case you don't like it.

That Strettavita Custom in Trans Wine looks sexy...
Careful- the Strettavita is made by Dean Zelinsky Private label, not Dean or DBZ, Dean Z's 2 prior companies.

AFAIK, DZPL has not revealed the country of manufacture for any of the guitars except the Strettavita Hollowbody, which is made in the USA. The guesses have been somewhere in Korea or Indonesia.

I'm cool with MiK, and with some of what I've seen from companies like Radix and Swing, it looks like some Indonesian factories are trying to kill Korea and take its stuff. So if the DZPLs are made in Indonesia, I'd bet Dean Z is using one of the better factories.

So what you're seeing in those prices is:

1) savings based on cheaper labor costs

2) probably short-lived introductory prices intended to get cash flowing and word of mouth moving to get some market share & buzz*

* reinforced by the fact that he was- and may still be- running a promotion by which if you signed up for his newsletter, you got a promo code for $100 off a purchase. (I have my code...trying to decide.)

Quote by dannyalcatraz
reinforced by the fact that he was- and may still be- running a promotion by which if you signed up for his newsletter, you got a promo code for $100 off a purchase. (I have my code...trying to decide.)

I know if you sign up right now it enters you in a Giveaway:
http://deanzelinsky.com/pages/win-the-private-label-guitar

No mention of the $100 though...
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Careful- the Strettavita is made by Dean Zelinsky Private label, not Dean or DBZ, Dean Z's 2 prior companies.

AFAIK, DZPL has not revealed the country of manufacture for any of the guitars except the Strettavita Hollowbody, which is made in the USA. The guesses have been somewhere in Korea or Indonesia.

I'm cool with MiK, and with some of what I've seen from companies like Radix and Swing, it looks like some Indonesian factories are trying to kill Korea and take its stuff. So if the DZPLs are made in Indonesia, I'd bet Dean Z is using one of the better factories.

So what you're seeing in those prices is:

1) savings based on cheaper labor costs

2) probably short-lived introductory prices intended to get cash flowing and word of mouth moving to get some market share & buzz*

* reinforced by the fact that he was- and may still be- running a promotion by which if you signed up for his newsletter, you got a promo code for $100 off a purchase. (I have my code...trying to decide.)

Well looking at the features, colors and body styles, I'm afraid I might have to forgo a Reverend or Asat Special Tribute for now. My only fear is that they look good, but are actually made in some factory in China, and are no better than an Epiphone LP Standard with slightly better features.

I'm cool with either MIK or MII, seems like good guitars come out of both countries frequently.

Add that $100 off code and hell, a blind buy might be worth it. I listened to a video of one online and it certainly sounded nice. The coil tapping on the LP copy was great, it had a distinct single coil tone. I think these guitars look a lot nicer than the Agiles, so it's much more tempting to buy on looks alone.
My problem is that I've been waffling on the Tagliare for so long- at one time, it was the only one he had for sale- and now the Strettavitas are available. So now, instead of deciding between 2 Z-Glide Tagliares, I'm also looking at the Z-Glide Strettavitas!

(...and all the other stuff I've been looking at online, too! Being a gear junkie SUX!)

alright, so I originally had my eye on a hagstrom ultra swede or a les paul studio. i just heard the 90's alpine white gibson studio with the ebony board and to my ears it is the best guitar i have ever heard. do you guys know how much these go for used i know they are pretty rare.
Quote by gambit1983
alright, so I originally had my eye on a hagstrom ultra swede or a les paul studio. i just heard the 90's alpine white gibson studio with the ebony board and to my ears it is the best guitar i have ever heard. do you guys know how much these go for used i know they are pretty rare.

Here's an old thread talking about LP Studios:
http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/sidewinders-bar-grille/53957-gibson-les-paul-studio-why-they-mocked.html

Near as I can tell, they should be available in the $700-900 price range, and the main difference from LP Standards is going to be visual aesthetics.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Here's an old thread talking about LP Studios:
http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/sidewinders-bar-grille/53957-gibson-les-paul-studio-why-they-mocked.html

Near as I can tell, they should be available in the $700-900 price range, and the main difference from LP Standards is going to be visual aesthetics.

these are hollowed/chambered correct? i def want something light
Honestly, I don't know my Gibsons well enough.

What do you consider "light?"

You might want to enquire DZPL about when the Zenyatta will be available.

http://deanzelinsky.com/collections/zenyatta

It is a LP style guitar that is very flat- ergonomicslly, very similar to the Imperial and Royale* Dean Z designed when he was at DBZ. At the edge, those guitars are about as thick as a smartphone.

http://www.dbzguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitar#sthash.yeguFZNA.dpbs

* these, BTW, are fun guitars.
http://ultratoneguitars.blogspot.com/2013/02/dbz-royale-st-electric-guitar-trans.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 24, 2013,
^Danny, you said you were torn on the zenyatta vs the newer strettavitas? I have to say, I definitely think the strettavita comes in nicer colors. That vintage burst is very classy.

I'm just assuming the Dean Private Label guitars have flatter necks than a more traditional LP. Is that true? Something a little closer to LTD than Epiphone would be nice as far as necks go, just personal preference. It says on the website they use a "soft v" neck profile, but I don't think I've come across those before. Has anyone played that type of neck/can comment on it?
Danny, you said you were torn on the zenyatta vs the newer strettavitas

Nah- the Tagliares and Strettavitas: IOW, Strat vs LP.

I'd probably want to snag a Zenyatta, too- the flamed Blonde, most likely- and a DBZ Imperial and/or a Royale as well, just to mess around with those ridiculously flat bodies. If I get the Royale, I want that Siberian Quilt. I'd want the Imperial in the transparent burnt orange with Bigsby.

But enough about MY terminal G.A.S.!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 25, 2013,
Gibson made a guitar called the les paul studio lite back in the late 90s, it was a normal les paul studio with a balsa wood block in the center and was extremely lightweight. You could look into finding a used one, I imagine they pop up every now and then. They were nice guitars, ebony fretboards too.
Quote by Blackfire.
Serial number matches the specs on Tokai registry. Why do you think it's not one?

specs as far as year, sure.

what about the serial number and registry makes it a LS-150?
Quote by gregs1020
specs as far as year, sure.

what about the serial number and registry makes it a LS-150?

What it came with in terms of color and hardware.
TS = sorry for the thread jack here, just helping blackie out.

Quote by Blackfire.
What it came with in terms of color and hardware.

stock/unmolested LS-150

that thing.

it has the right pups, but it's not original. the belief among the MIJ guys i know is that it's at best a LS-100 that's been beefed up to look like a 150.

there are plenty of flame top LS-100 and LS-80 guitars back then, even though they weren't spec'd to be such.

that guitar, isn't as flamey as you'd expect for a 150. my LS-60 from '79 has more flame to it than that thing.

and yes it's a solid top and not a veneer.

basically you can only use some of the specs tokai gave at the time as "gospel". there are many examples of guitars with specs they shouldn't have on lesser models.

so to think that's a 150 based on the photos by the seller, and no model designation sticker or stamp anywhere on the guitar is just crazy.

cliff's D-stamp LS-80 had a top with more action than that thing.

nice les paul, and maybe it is a LS-150, but it's more likely a LS-100 dressed up to look the part. at a $1200 upcharge.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 25, 2013,