I'm considering a solid pine replacement cab for a Princeton Reverb RI and since the cab is available with a 12" speaker cutout I figured...why not? The question is whether or not the modest 15w power output is sufficient to drive the Jensen P12N replacement that I have in mind. Any thoughts?
I don't really know that much about the tones you're after, but remember that watts is a measure of headroom. 15 watts driving a 50 watts speaker just means it's not going to drive it into any speaker break-up, even at loud volumes if you're after that. If speaker distortion/break-up is something you want then you'd want a speaker that barely goes over the 15 watts headroom of the amp.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Yep, the fact that the speaker is rated at 50w means that it should start distorting the incoming singal when it gets higher than 50w, which is pretty unlikely if the amp is rated at 15w.

This happens more than you would think of - Marshall 4x12 cabs are rated I think between 240 and 280w depending on the speakers in them, while the mp driving tham is usually no more than 120w.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by HotDan!
The question is whether or not the modest 15w power output is sufficient to drive the Jensen P12N replacement that I have in mind. Any thoughts?

it should be fine, there is no problem having a small amp used in conjunction with a speaker with a higher power handling.

if you want some speaker breakup then choose another speaker with a lower power handling.

Quote by Lavatain
I don't really know that much about the tones you're after, but remember that watts is a measure of headroom.

watts are not a measure of headroom, it's a measure of energy conversion (electrical to mechanical in this case).

Quote by Lavatain
15 watts driving a 50 watts speaker just means it's not going to drive it into any speaker break-up, even at loud volumes if you're after that. If speaker distortion/break-up is something you want then you'd want a speaker that barely goes over the 15 watts headroom of the amp.

that is one way of thinking about it. but don't forget the speaker comes with a power handling not so you can 'match headroom' and 'break up speakers' and other tonal reasons, but because you can damage the speaker by running too much power through it.

you do bring up some good points on speaker headroom and rounding though. i just wanted to give a more practical interpretation of 'speaker power handling'.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
watts are not a measure of headroom, it's a measure of energy conversion (electrical to mechanical in this case).

that is one way of thinking about it. but don't forget the speaker comes with a power handling not so you can 'match headroom' and 'break up speakers' and other tonal reasons, but because you can damage the speaker by running too much power through it.

you do bring up some good points on speaker headroom and rounding though. i just wanted to give a more practical interpretation of 'speaker power handling'.

I'm aware of watts' actual measure but I felt for the purpose of this question, it made sense to talk about headroom in that way, and he can always ask further questions and get further into it if he needed to

And yeah, TS, definitely don't go getting a speaker less than 15 watts for the purpose of "speaker break-up". That will end in tears and smoke eventually.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
it's also worth bearing in mind that some speakers break up faster and sound dirtier almost regardless of the wattage. if you want speaker breakup there are better ways to get it than chancing your arm with a too-low wattage rating. LOL.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I did consider a P12R with breakup in mind but for the sake of speaker longevity, I decided to go with the P12N considering that any desired distortion can be achieved artificially with pedals. I appreciate all of your input.
Wgs
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Thanks ikey. Which one. I'm likely to try and find a vintage P12N rather than the Italian re-issue. Looking for chimey top, full mids and plump bottom. You know...old timey Fender characteristics but if I can get the same thing from WGS and save a little coin in the process I'd be up for checking out some sound samples.
i could be wrong but i think the wgs alnicos are as dear as any other alnicos (i.e. pretty dear)

weber makes some cheaper alnicos with smaller magnets (like the jensens). might be worth considering. they often let you choose how much breakup they get too (with some models).

I haven't tried either the alnico jensens or webers, just giving you another possible option.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Awright fellas, I'm all in on WGS. They have a sound sample of their G12A on their website and I liked it. I liked it ALOT! I thought it was a little strange that they did a sound sample of their American Vintage speaker in a 2x12 British amp (Orange Rockerverb 50) but at least it's an open backed tube amp so the representation should be close. I intend to get some thoughts on the G12A from someone who has experience with it before I jump on it though as it's pretty spendy but I'm impressed with what I've heard so far. Thanks again.
if you youtube WGS there is this guy named vaugh who is pretty much endorsed by them, he demoes about every one of their speakers.

and i think its just about impossible to think WGS are bad speakers. perhaps people have different preferences, but as a product, there are VERY high quality. i am not really sure how it gets much better for any price point.

very happy with them.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I checked it out ikey. Vaughn Skow seems to be a WGS rep of some sort and does some extremely astute comparisons. The problem here is, it seems he has compared, demoed, or otherwise showcased nearly every speaker that WGS offers (and even a few prototypes and special order types which do not appear in the current catalog) with the exception of the one in which I have the most interest, the G12A. He did present a WGS Blackhawk in a Tweed Deluxe which did pique my interest just a bit but it seemed a little dark for my taste. I need to learn a little more but I have to admit that the WGS offerings seem to be as good or better than the best available. Thanks once more.
Last edited by HotDan! at Aug 27, 2013,