I have this Martin D-18 from the 80's (without a truss rod), that needs some work. The action is incredibly high - should have used a humidifier.

I brought it to this tech and he said it'd cost over $800 for a neck adjustment, which he said was the only way to fix the action, other than filing down the bridge - which he said was not ideal.

I'm sure there has to be another way to fix the action which won't cost me 800 bucks.

any thoughts?
that would be a neck reset, not a neck adjustment. and if your guitar needs a neck reset, there's no cheap fix. even if you had humidified it right and always used light enough strings, eventually your guitar would need a neck reset. my husband kept extra light strings (10s) on his '71 J45, and it recently started needing a neck reset.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by mack92
I...[ ]...I'm sure there has to be another way to fix the action which won't cost me 800 bucks.
There really isn't......

With the neck at a positive angle to the soundboard, you do have to file away the bridge itself, (NOT the bone or plastic saddle), to get the strings at the correct height in relation to the fret board. However, it changes the tension of the strings, and make the sound kind of "flabby". Their vibrations are no longer properly controlled.

The angle of the neck in relation to the soundboard is very critical. I'm guessing much less than one degree.

The neck, or rather scale, is about 24" long. There are 360 degrees in a circle. The coefficient "Pi" is roughly 3.1416. Do the math. Tell me how far the neck moves in one degree.....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 23, 2013,