hey guys:
I'm a guitarist, I want to make some folk/medieval kind of music, I first liked that from opeth, from the first two album.
anyone knows how to make/compose this kind of music, the Irish kind of music. any fundamentals?
btw if you like folk metal kind of staff, can you recommend me some?
A lot of it has to do with atmosphere, of course (instrumentation especially), but I would look specifically at the Dorian and Ionian modes.
from my theory textbook (this is how "Shipping Up To Boston" functions on a music theory level): In the middle ages and Renaissance musical relationships were understood in terms of a structure called a "hexachord," built in a standard pattern of whole and half steps: W-W-H-W-W. Accidentals were invented when musicians needed to transpose this hexachord's pattern. The first accidental introduced was Bb, which allowed the hexachord on C (C-D-E-F-G-A) to begin on F (F-G-A-Bb-C-D) with the same whole and half step pattern. Musicians called the hexachord beginning on C the "natural" hexachord, and the one beginning on F the "soft" hexachord. The pattern on G (G-A-B-C-D-E) was dubbed the "hard" hexachord.

Essentially using I-IV-V patterns using hexachords will allow you to create a folksie/medieval sound.

EDIT: The first two (an argument could be made for three) Ensiferum albums are some awesome folk metal.
Last edited by rob904 at Aug 23, 2013,
I don't know if they're really folk metal, but take a look at drudkh, I think of them as sort of folk influenced.
to here knows when

You mention "medieval" music. The only band in metal that has much of any relation to "medieval" music is Obsequiae. Nothing else is even close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6AtgET2Bw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhoOtGtUIQ

Failing that, you could, you know, also actually just listen to lots of medieval and folk music. Inevitably it will have an influence on whatever you write.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"