Page 1 of 3
I've considered purchasing a guitar from them, but there's a factor I remain leery of: Low prices for such good hardware. I've seen guitars that share all the aspects of guitars much higher in the price range, so this has to be too good to be true. Yes? No? Is Agile a brand to buy from or is there something I don't know about?
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Y'know, that's really the hell of it for me. I've debated buying Agile a number of times, because they have an amazing selection of beautiful colors, the hardware looks very good on paper, they have cool models like the Harm, Hawker and AL, and they're cheap.

I hear a lot of good things about Agile, but I've never played one. I would probably be a little more confident buying a Godin sight unseen.

I think there's also the matter of the used market. If you can buy used, you can usually get a better guitar used (in whatever brand) than what you'll get from a new Agile in the same price range. The better Agile models tend to be around $400-500, and in the USA you can get a lot of guitar for that price if you go used.

So trust, but verify. I hear Kurt is really good about taking returns.
I once owned an agile intrepid 8 string and I was very impressed with it. stayed in tune better than any guitar I had previously owned. I only sold it so I could afford a carvin 8 string. I now own an agile AL727 and have been very pleased with it. especially after putting a bare knuckle miracle man in the bridge and a Q tuner in the neck. great combination.

sometimes agiles can show up at your doorstep with some cosmetic problems, but Kurt is really good about partial refunds or replacements, so long as you are in the US. there's pretty much no return policy if you don't live in the lower 48. you could take a look at the used market too, agile owners are often looking to sell their axes to afford a custom build, so you can easily snag some good deals.

here's some photos of mine. they've both been visually appealing

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88

Look even pussy likes your Agile
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by samuraigoomba
Y'know, that's really the hell of it for me. I've debated buying Agile a number of times, because they have an amazing selection of beautiful colors, the hardware looks very good on paper, they have cool models like the Harm, Hawker and AL, and they're cheap....[ ]....
The "Harm" shows up quite often in left handed models, but it's their only guitar that I'm superstitious about, given that it's really easier to screw up with the materials in a semi-hollow body, than to slap some pickups on a slab of mahogany. But like I said, it's probably just silly superstition.

I'd be curious to know if anybody knows how these compare to an Epiphone "Dot", or one of the low end Ibanez semi hollows.

Then too I'm taken with this "Pendulum".... The price keeps going down, but it's so eccentric and my credit card balances are so high........
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 24, 2013,
But seriously, since when could you get a quilt maple guitar for $225 new? What's the catch?
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by AsOneIStand
I've considered purchasing a guitar from them, but there's a factor I remain leery of: Low prices for such good hardware. I've seen guitars that share all the aspects of guitars much higher in the price range, so this has to be too good to be true. Yes? No? Is Agile a brand to buy from or is there something I don't know about?

You might want to try the Agile Guitar Forum (http://www.agileguitarforum.com ) and see what the reactions are on there. If anything those folks will be hypercritical but honest.

I have three Agile LP-style guitars (all with Floyds): the AL2000 was a B stock (finish issues) that was dirt cheap, an AL3100 that I picked up used, and a custom build with neck-through construction (it's since become a fairly common model called the AL3200).

The AL-3100 is probably the most typical of the run-of-the-mill Agiles -- it would have been around $400 new without the trem, and I think the current price for this model is around $475. The tops on these are a 1/16th" veneer (you can get an "M" model with a full-thickness maple top for something on the order of $100-150 more) of real maple, so you get some good bookmatching and some very good flame going on. Build quality is very good; the usual reaction upon opening the box on one of these is, "Wait, I paid HOW much for this?!?" My 3100 is black, however, and has triple binding on body and headstock, single binding on the fretboard, has an ebony fretboard and real MOP trapezoid inlays, an MOP headstock logo, decent Grover tuners and a surprisingly good Floyd-alike. Fretwork on this model is hand-filed and done pretty well. I had it PLEK'd and the frets superglued shortly after I got it, and it's remained pretty much perfect since then; the necks don't move around on you. Finish is excellent; no flaws in mine, so the guy must have babied it.

Without the Floyd, this model would have a Graphtech bridge with String Saver saddles and a Graphtech teflon-type nut. Jumbo frets, 13.7" radius and a good Gibson '60's-size neck with a very comfortable shape. Pickups are very good AlnicoV, tending toward a Gibson '57 and slightly hot. I *will* tell you that a set of real '57s in one of these (an AL3000, 3100 or 3200) makes for an awesome tone machine that may actually sound better than a lot of "G" brand guitars with the same pickups, and I think that's largely due to the SOLID body. There is a chambered model out there called the 3125, but the 3100s tend to be heavy. I have absolutely no problem with that.

Woods are very good on this model; I've almost literally torn apart the custom installing a Fernandes Sustainer and moving controls around. I've got a stack of Gibsons from a recent Axcess Custom back to a 1949 ES-175 for comparison. No "luan" or other off-the-wall substitutes.

I would (and do) use all three of these guitars professionally. No qualms about doing so, and I'm fairly picky.

Used prices on these tend to be a bit high. In fact, GC will often price a good used one at nearly the new price ("But you don't have to wait and you don't have to pay shipping!" "But I do have to pay sales tax that's more than the shipping!"...yada yada). They don't last, even overpriced.

Compared to any Epiphone at the same price point new, the Agile is a superior guitar by a bunch. The AL-3200, a neck-through version with the Gibson-Axcess-style neck heel and a tummy cut, doesn't have a counterpart anywhere in the Epiphone or Gibson line.
Quote by jjfeu662
But seriously, since when could you get a quilt maple guitar for $225 new? What's the catch?

It's a veneer.
Quote by jjfeu662

Kurt gets these in container-loads from the Korean factory direct. Stores them in a tin building in New Hampshire and ships them out largely without ever looking at them (this is my impression). Very small operation. No advertising, no promotions, no brick and mortar stores, no salesmen, no pilferage/waste/destroyed guitars in a store. A crappy website and an eBay presence and that's it.

You PAY for Epiphone and Gibson (and Ibanez, etc.) advertising and promotion and endorsements and Guitar Denter store rent and air conditioning and salesmen and pilferage and destruction by the guys playing "Eruption" and "Smoke on the Water" all day in those stores. And you pay for corporate profits along the way, including managers and vice presidents, etc. The actual cost of putting together the guitar is the tiniest part of the price you pay if you buy retail. If I told you how much it costs to put together a good quality guitar, you'd call me a liar (but I've done advertising and marketing for the likes of Fender and Gibson, and the Fender museum is 100 yards across the parking lot from my office in Corona, CA and I'm usually all over the winter NAMM shows in Anaheim). The point is that buying a guitar from a Rondo Music or a Carvin or a custom builder direct gives you access to a whole different price structure.
Quote by al112987
It's a veneer.

Correct -- most are a 1/16th" veneer (though it's real figured maple) layered over the mahogany body. On an Agile, at least, that saves about $100-150 in the final selling price of the guitar (they do have "M" models that have a full-thickness maple cap; just not in the AL-2000 series). There *have* been instances of the AL-2000 appearing with a full-thickness cap. It's as if the factory said, "Look, we've got extra orders for the AL-2000 guitars to get out; just use those AL-3000M bodies and get 'em done." (but in Korean) People swap out pickups and find them like that occasionally. Rarely a complaint.

I've never really had an issue with veneer. You can actually get a better quality bookmatch that way, and that's why it appears on some of the most expensive furniture in the world.

Besides, most of my Gibson LPs are Customs, which don't have maple tops anyway. I've never had an issue with the tone of a guitar missing a maple cap.

Photo tops are a different story, but Agile doesn't make any of those. Gibson, however, has, back in the mid-90s. On guitars with a $3500 bridge, no less. But that's a story for another day <G>.
Quote by al112987
It's a veneer.

Ah. But still, compared to the Epi Les Paul standard, how is it? I might save me some money.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
even on the more expensive guitars the fancy maple is a veneer over a plain maple cap. it looks really cool but does nothing soundwise. agile makes decent guitars for the money but make no mistake they use cheaper quality parts. their labor costs are of course much lower however that often comes at the price of quality control.
I just bought my first Agile two weeks ago and love it to death. I really wanted to save up for a JP7 Music Man as my first 7 string guitar, but I came to terms with my finances and my honest time I have to put into playing and it just doesn't make much sense for me to spend that much at this time.

Mine came to me in perfect condition, minus a slighty too low action which I fixed. The only thing I did not like is the Floyd Rose bridge (it was my first time having one and after playing on a ZR tremolo from the S series Ibanez guitars I was spoiled lol) so I bought a tremol-no and changed out the gauge of strings to what I prefer and its a beast.

Here's a pic of mine if you're curious:

Quote by MegaDTSX
I just bought my first Agile two weeks ago and love it to death. I really wanted to save up for a JP7 Music Man as my first 7 string guitar, but I came to terms with my finances and my honest time I have to put into playing and it just doesn't make much sense for me to spend that much at this time.

Mine came to me in perfect condition, minus a slighty too low action which I fixed. The only thing I did not like is the Floyd Rose bridge (it was my first time having one and after playing on a ZR tremolo from the S series Ibanez guitars I was spoiled lol) so I bought a tremol-no and changed out the gauge of strings to what I prefer and its a beast.

Here's a pic of mine if you're curious

Floyd Rose "Original" trems are great. I think Agile only puts the cheap ones on their guitars. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen one for sale with an Original yet.
Quote by Blackfire.
Floyd Rose "Original" trems are great. I think Agile only puts the cheap ones on their guitars. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen one for sale with an Original yet.

Whatever an FRT-S2000 is, they have that.

In any case, this is a sexy guitar.

Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
Whatever an FRT-S2000 is, they have that.

In any case, this is a sexy guitar.

Yeah that's the cheap one.

I do like the looks of some of their guitars though.
Quote by Blackfire.
Yeah that's the cheap one.

I do like the looks of some of their guitars though.

It is a cheaper one, but its a step up from the Licensed Floyd Rose they put in before about 6 months ago.
Quote by jjfeu662
They catch is, on the models in that price range, the "Quilt maple", is only a veneer. It becomes a true maple cap, (ala Gibson Les Paul), on the more expensive AL-3000 and above models.

Plus, they barely pay their employees, or rather, "BIG PLUS", at least a far as value to the consumer.

Their Les Paul knockoffs have a lot of nice options, certainly as many or more than Epiphone offers. Plus, if you're willing to wait, you can have them build you a "semi-custom guitar". Keep watching their site and act fast, there's a big waitng list for this.

Here is Rondo's single cut "AL series spec comparison page: http://www.rondomusic.com/alspec.html

Notice that only the "AL-3000M" model has a true maple "cap", the rest are veneer.
They've put the OFR on higher end models, I've personally seen one on a Interceptor Elite 727, but that one cost upwards of $1000.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
Quote by Captaincranky
They catch is, on the models in that price range, the "Quilt maple", is only a veneer. It becomes a true maple cap, (ala Gibson Les Paul), on the more expensive AL-3000 and above models.

Plus, they barely pay their employees, or rather, "BIG PLUS", at least a far as value to the consumer.

Their Les Paul knockoffs have a lot of nice options, certainly as many or more than Epiphone offers. Plus, if you're willing to wait, you can have them build you a "semi-custom guitar". Keep watching their site and act fast, there's a big waitng list for this.

Here is Rondo's single cut "AL series spec comparison page: http://www.rondomusic.com/alspec.html

Notice that only the "AL-3000M" model has a true maple "cap", the rest are veneer.

If you look at the specs, none of them have a true all maple cap. They all have a 1/16 veneer, the al-3000 has 3/4" maple top with a flame/quilt veneer.

So in reality none of the Agiles have a flame/quilt maple cap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Blackfire.

Some of the current versions have Floyds from Floyd Rose.

Here's the trick. Most OFRs (they've changed the name of these now, and there are no more Original or Licensed Floyd Roses because the patent is up on the trem) were/are made in Korea anyway on one of two production lines. For several years, now, the 3100 Floyd series (and up) have been using trems off the same production lines, with the only difference being the stamping on the base plate. We confirmed that in late 2008, when I received a Gibson Axcess Custom and an Agile Custom on the same day. One had a black trem, the other had a nickel-plated one, and because we ended up taking all the hardware off both guitars, we inspected both pretty carefully. They were identical. Because we were changing the color of the hardware on the Axcess, we picked up a bubble pack OFR that was actually built by Schaller, and that was noticeably different (saddles, etc.). On the cheaper Agiles, they're using a Floyd Rose-sourced trem that essentially comes from another of the Korean production lines and that corresponds to the better of the old LFRs.
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you look at the specs, none of them have a true all maple cap. They all have a 1/16 veneer, the al-3000 has 3/4" maple top with a flame/quilt veneer.

Yes and no.

The specs are specs, but a bit out of date. There are a number of models that aren't even mentioned in those specs, and Kurt has been notoriously lame about maintaining that page.

In reality, some of the Agiles DO have a flame/quilt maple cap (I have one that does, for example). Sound wise, there's no advantage one way or the other, and you'll often have a better looking top with veneer. Gibson has some notoriously variable tops in its ~$2000 price range, and if it were me, I'd be happier with veneer. About the only time it matters one way or the other is if you're sanding down to bare wood prior to a refinish, or if you're doing that "faux binding" look with the edge of the maple.
Quote by Captaincranky

Actually, the Agiles are built in Korea (some of the other Rondo guitars are built in China and Indonesia, I believe), and the wages are pretty good. This is part of the reason that Gibson left Korea for China some years back. As a side issue, Chinese wages are coming up pretty quickly as well, so a lot of the really low end guitar manufacturers are looking around for cheap labor once again.
Quote by dspellman
Yes and no.

The specs are specs, but a bit out of date. There are a number of models that aren't even mentioned in those specs, and Kurt has been notoriously lame about maintaining that page.

In reality, some of the Agiles DO have a flame/quilt maple cap (I have one that does, for example). Sound wise, there's no advantage one way or the other, and you'll often have a better looking top with veneer. Gibson has some notoriously variable tops in its ~$2000 price range, and if it were me, I'd be happier with veneer. About the only time it matters one way or the other is if you're sanding down to bare wood prior to a refinish, or if you're doing that "faux binding" look with the edge of the maple.

Untill Rondo changes the specs, I'll believe that over some random guy on the internet.

No offence to you, but I hope you can understand my point.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Gee, then I guess the TS should go for a $3000.00 (or so) Gibby, which definitely would?

In reality I thought the trick of the sound was in the maple. I'm not sure how dramatic the difference in sound would be between a standard and flame grain top.

This came up a while ago in a Godin vs. Gibson thread. A Les Paul studio doesn't even have a maple top. A comparatively priced Godin does.

In reality, none of the 6 string guitars in this thread are anywhere near the price of Gibson or Godin. So, an unfair comparison.

I'd be more interested for somebody to weigh in on Agile vs Ibanez "ART" or Epiphone Les Pauls to even the playing field.

Carvin usually only offers plain maple as standard on their carved top guitars, and the upgrade to flame or quilt is quite a price bump, if memory serves.
Quote by dspellman
Some of the current versions have Floyds from Floyd Rose.

Here's the trick. Most OFRs (they've changed the name of these now, and there are no more Original or Licensed Floyd Roses because the patent is up on the trem) were/are made in Korea anyway on one of two production lines. For several years, now, the 3100 Floyd series (and up) have been using trems off the same production lines, with the only difference being the stamping on the base plate. We confirmed that in late 2008, when I received a Gibson Axcess Custom and an Agile Custom on the same day. One had a black trem, the other had a nickel-plated one, and because we ended up taking all the hardware off both guitars, we inspected both pretty carefully. They were identical. Because we were changing the color of the hardware on the Axcess, we picked up a bubble pack OFR that was actually built by Schaller, and that was noticeably different (saddles, etc.). On the cheaper Agiles, they're using a Floyd Rose-sourced trem that essentially comes from another of the Korean production lines and that corresponds to the better of the old LFRs.

I don't know where you heard that but the Floyd Rose website says different. Originals are made in Germany. Lower models are made in Korea.

They may be a Floyd from Floyd Rose but it's not an "Original" on the Agiles. If they were they would advertise that fact.

http://www.floydrose.com/bridges/index.php
Quote by Captaincranky
Gee, then I guess the TS should go for a $3000.00 (or so) Gibby, which definitely would?

In reality I thought the trick of the sound was in the maple. I'm not sure how dramatic the difference in sound would be between a standard and flame grain top.

This came up a while ago in a Godin vs. Gibson thread. A Les Paul studio doesn't even have a maple top. A comparatively priced Godin does.

In reality, none of the 6 string guitars in this thread are anywhere near the price of Gibson or Godin. So, an unfair comparison.

I'd be more interested for somebody to weigh in on Agile vs Ibanez "ART" or Epiphone Les Pauls to even the playing field.

Carvin usually only offers plain maple as standard on their carved top guitars, and the upgrade to flame or quilt is quite a price bump, if memory serves.

I was pointing out that they do not have a flame/quilt cap. Which they do not

There are Flame Maple cap LP studios, don't know where you got your info from.

I agree Agiles should be compared to what there real competition is: Epiphone, Ibanez, LTD. Against them I would agree they are a good value on paper.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dspellman
Actually, the Agiles are built in Korea (some of the other Rondo guitars are built in China and Indonesia, I believe), and the wages are pretty good. This is part of the reason that Gibson left Korea for China some years back. As a side issue, Chinese wages are coming up pretty quickly as well, so a lot of the really low end guitar manufacturers are looking around for cheap labor once again.

I was mentally comparing the wages of any Asian luthier, with those of those at a USA Gibson or Martin plant, and I'd be willing to bet Korean wages are lame by comparison.

I own 3 Crafter guitars (Korean), and they're pretty darn nice. The owner of the store where I bought them assures me the employees of Crafter make a living wage.

OTOH, when you can buy a Taylor T-5 knockoff for $600.00, somebody's full of shit.

Granted the retail price of my Crafters has come up quite a bit during the 2+ years I've owned them.

But, that said, Cort had some serious wage and working conditions issues in Korea, (I think complete with lawsuits). So, I'm pretty sure they've for the most part, taken off for greener jungles, elsewhere in the pacific rim. However sketchy my info is, it would be worth investigating this topic further on your own.
Quote by Robbgnarly
...[ ]...There are Flame Maple cap LP studios, don't know where you got your info from.
Oh, that's easy. I'm old school and I was selling musical instruments when Gibson released the first, "The Paul" models, which were slab mahogany, with very little gingerbread. (little to none) The idea was to capitalize on the Les Paul reputation, and bring the single cut shape to the masses. (These were about 400 bucks, circa 1978).

That didn't work all that well, (AFAIK), and the model morphed almost directly into "The Les Paul Studio".

If there is such a thing as a Les Paul Studio with a maple cap, I stand corrected. But I will say this, it's doubtless out of the price range of a single cut Godin WITH a maple cap, and certainly well above the price of a maple capped AL-3000M.
Quote by Captaincranky
Oh, that's easy. I'm old school and I was selling musical instruments when Gibson released the first, "The Paul" models, which were slab mahogany, with very little gingerbread. (little to none) The idea was to capitalize on the Les Paul reputation, and bring the single cut shape to the masses. (These were about 400 bucks, circa 1978).

That didn't work all that well, (AFAIK), and the model morphed almost directly into "The Les Paul Studio".

If there is such a thing as a Les Paul Studio with a maple cap, I stand corrected. But I will say this, it's doubtless out of the price range of a single cut Godin WITH a maple cap, and certainly well above the price of a maple capped AL-3000M.

Yeah in the last few yrs Gibson has released a Flame maple top LP Studio
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah in the last few yrs Gibson has released a Flame maple top LP Studio
You have to admit, that sort of defeats, or at least mitigates, the purpose of the "studio" model. The idea behind which is to bring a good sounding, reasonably priced, workaday "beater", to the recording musician...

What's next, gold hardware and a center pickup...?
Quote by Captaincranky
You have to admit, that sort of defeats, or at least mitigates, the purpose of the "studio" model. The idea behind which is to bring a good sounding, reasonably priced, workaday "beater", to the recording musician...

They have had gold hardware on the studios since the late 1990's I know, but I'm not sure about before that

No center pickup yet though

I had a LP studio yrs ago and I really liked it, your right it is a working mans LP.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's nice they have a wide nut 1-3/4"..also does agile make a strat copy
Last edited by Tazz3 at Aug 24, 2013,
Quote by Tazz3
It's nice they have a wide nut 1-3/4"..also does agile make a strat copy
That's an option. You have to look for the term "wide" in the model description. The stock nut width is 1 5/8". But yeah, I'd prefer the wider nut.

Dunno about a Strat, but the "Valkerie" is supposed to be their homage to the Gibson SG.

EDIT: And a quick check of Rondo's web site show Strat copies, across their cheaper Douglas line, and the Agiles as well.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 25, 2013,
I wouldn't buy any Agile guitar that doesn't say "Agile" on the headstock.

The quality of SX and Douglas seems very much like a standard Squier. You might get a good one, you might not.
Quote by samuraigoomba
I wouldn't buy any Agile guitar that doesn't say "Agile" on the headstock.

The quality of SX and Douglas seems very much like a standard Squier. You might get a good one, you might not.

I have heard the same. If you are interested in Agile, stick with the Agiles. I do like that higher end Interceptor
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by Robbgnarly
Untill Rondo changes the specs, I'll believe that over some random guy on the internet.

No offence to you, but I hope you can understand my point.

Fair enough, but I'd suggest emailing Kurt Zentmaier (who owns Rondo). His emails are usually very short and curt (no relation to Kurt <G>, but he'll give you the straight skinny. You might also take the time to hit the Agile Guitar Forum where you'll hear from some more Random Guys On The Internet Who actually own the guitars that break the online spec sheet, as I do. I have no intention of misleading you, and I actually have the guitars in question in my possession.

I had a guy visiting my photo studio once, and a conversation ensued in which he absently wished that Rodenstock made a certain large format lens in a certain focal length. I told him that they DID make it and he countered that he'd just finished reading the spec sheet in the store. I told him the spec sheet was incomplete and he essentially called me an idiot and a liar. I then went in the back and brought him out the very lens he claimed didn't exist. I'd had it for years, and to get one, all you had to do was call Rodenstock and ask for it. It just wasn't a standard dealer stock item that made it to the spec sheet.

I will do the same for you if you happen to be in Los Angeles any time soon.

There's a TV commercial (for what product I'm not sure) that's fairly memorable. A man and a woman are talking and she's explaining something fairly far-fetched. He asks, "Where did you hear that?" She says, "It's on the internet, and if it's on the internet it's got to be right."

"Where did you read THAT?" he asks.

"On the internet." she smirks.

"That's where I met my boyfriend. He's a famous French model." And this perfectly louty, seedy dude walks up and says, "Uh....Bone-JEWER!" And she flounces away with him, "See?"
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 25, 2013,
Quote by Blackfire.
I don't know where you heard that but the Floyd Rose website says different. Originals are made in Germany. Lower models are made in Korea.

They may be a Floyd from Floyd Rose but it's not an "Original" on the Agiles. If they were they would advertise that fact.

http://www.floydrose.com/bridges/index.php

Yup. They changed this information as of a few months ago. It is not an Original Floyd Rose, it's a Floyd Rose Original, and that's the German one built by Schaller. Floyd called both the German *and* the Korean version (what they're currently calling the 1000 series) an Original Floyd Rose prior to the beginning of the year.

It seems like a silly difference, putting the "Original" last instead of first, but it was even more confusing before. What they're now calling the Floyd Rose 1000 Series ("An excellent unit mirrored after the Original and is only available OEM") is the Korean unit that went on (and STILL goes on) Gibson, Fender, Carvin and any other large-manufacturer (OEM) as the Original Floyd Rose (stamped right there on the base plate, but definitely of Korean manufacture) prior to the beginning of the year.

The Floyd Rose Special is currently done on the same production lines as the 1000 series, and Floyd is calling it their equivalent of the old Licensed Series.

I've been in pretty close contact with the folks at Floyd Rose over the last few years, and if you need a closer look at the history of these, you can simply email them and they'll catch you up.
Quote by Captaincranky

I'm not sure how dramatic the difference in sound would be between a standard and flame grain top.

Seriously? You think there's a sound difference between the flame/plain/quilt tops?

A LOT of Les Paul models don't have a maple top. One of the most expensive, the original Custom, has traditionally NOT had a maple cap, just a solid mahogany body. There are those who've maintained that the maple cap makes a significant difference in the sound and is essential to Les Paul-ness. They almost always backpedal when told that the Gibson Les Paul they're playing does NOT have a maple cap.

That usually degenerates into a religious argument with folks defending whatever they have with little or no experience with the other guitars.

Depends on what you're calling "quite a price bump." Carvin offers three different models of the 22-fret CT series; one is the CT3 with a plain mahogany body at $1079. The plain maple top CT4 in standard trim is $1199. The CT6 in standard trim with a 4A 20mm thick flamed (or quilt) maple carved top *and* a matching 4A flamed maple headstock is $1399. $200 difference from plain to 4A flame.
Quote by Captaincranky

Both gold hardware and a center pickup have been done, long since.

Quote by Captaincranky
That's an option. You have to look for the term "wide" in the model description. The stock nut width is 1 5/8". But yeah, I'd prefer the wider nut.

Dunno about a Strat, but the "Valkerie" is supposed to be their homage to the Gibson SG.

EDIT: And a quick check of Rondo's web site show Strat copies, across their cheaper Douglas line, and the Agiles as well.

The stock nut width has been listed at 1 5/8th", but most are arriving with a 1 11/16ths" nut these days (the information usually makes it into the specs blurb, sometimes not). They have a "Wide" neck profile that has a 1 3/4" nut width. Their "thin" or "slim" neck profile has nothing to do with the nut width, but describes the depth of the neck from the face of the fretboard to the back where your thumb usually rests.

Agile has strat alikes available, usually designated as an Agile ST- (number), such as this ST-625: http://www.rondomusic.com/ST-625EBBKflamebkhw.html

SX and Douglas have nothing to do with Agile, except that Rondo Music also sells those brands.
Page 1 of 3