The title is a bit misleading. I know the obvious difference eg. the affinity has a thinner neck, an alder body, ceramic pickup, is a toploader and the standard has an agathis body and alnico pickups, and a string through body.

My question is that if you changed all the electronics and put the exact same pickups in what would be the sound differences. I'm not asking about how they feel different to play, I'm just asking what differences would there be in sound.

I'd be interested if anyone has actually made this comparison.
If everything was changed to be the same, you would notice little difference in tone when plugged in. However they might sound different un-plugged and one may sustain longer (depends on the actual construction of the individual guitar).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the string through body might give u a tad bit better sustain but rob is right I doubt you'd notice any big difference. of course if you have to replace all that then you might want to consider a mexi tele which will be better quality from the start.
I thought that would be the case. Thanks for the help. I did think about a Fender standard tele MIM but they are £400ish new and my max budget is about £225. I was put off of getting a secondhand one because one of my friends bought one and the electronics were faulty (I know it's fixable but it's costly and a hassle) and it had a horrendous fret buzz on the 12th and 13th fret. Also the neck wasn't that straight
Quote by cbeech12
I thought that would be the case. Thanks for the help. I did think about a Fender standard tele MIM but they are £400ish new and my max budget is about £225. I was put off of getting a secondhand one because one of my friends bought one and the electronics were faulty (I know it's fixable but it's costly and a hassle) and it had a horrendous fret buzz on the 12th and 13th fret. Also the neck wasn't that straight

If you play a used guitar before you buy it, you can get one without issues

Don't buy the 1st Fender Tele that you can find in your price range, look for the right one. I spent 1.5 yrs looking for certain pieces of gear that I was happy with and could afford.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by cbeech12
They are out of the price range.....

Even if you go used?

You can look at Vintage guitars, they are good for the money in the UK
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 25, 2013,
A Squier Vintage Modified shouldn't be out of your price range. I don't know anything about UK prices, but Vintage Modified are a fair amount cheaper than Classic Vibe here in the states (on the used market), and it shouldn't be hard to find someone who wants to sell one within your price range.

I would much rather own a classic vibe or vintage modified than a standard squier. The standard squiers I've played were junk. You could also look at Fender Modern Player. They're made-in-China with the fender logo (lol) and they're considered at about the same level of quality as Classic Vibe, maybe a bit worse on average than a MIM Fender.

And as always, Gretsch, Godin, G&L, Ibanez are all options if your heart isn't set on a Squier and you get a good deal on a nice used one. Dollar for dollar, I'm not such a big fan of Squier. Classic Vibes keep their value pretty well, so I often see them competing directly on my local CL with actual Fender MIM and Modern Player strats and teles. They're even more expensive new. You could buy a mid-level LTD, Schecter, Godin or Ibanez for what a Classic Vibe costs in my area.
I'd buy a Squier classic vibe several times over before a MIM standard.