Hi,

So after a show I had with my band last night I just can't get this out of my head and really would like some outsider thoughts on my situation.

I play in a three piece psychedelic kind of garage rock infused band.
We use lots of pedals, I switch from bass to guitar and have a cool little board I can set up in like 2 mins and be ready to go.

My other guitar player on the other hand...she's a huge scatter brain and has no board (which doesn't bother me, I've played in bands with dudes that don't use a board and set up with a reasonable amount of time) she takes forever to set up and it leaves us awkwardly waiting for her to finish every.time. this is a huge part due to her not fully being aware of the ins and outs of her own gear, once she also finally sets up she always will strum her guitar, tweak the pedals go back to seeing how the guitar sounds, over and over.

These things really bother me because I feel she could just take note of the settings the pedals are on for each song and avoid taking so long.

The thing is: I don't know how to bring this up to her, I really don't want to come off as sounding rude because I love that shes even exists being a girl into pedals, jamming and productivity where were from is so so hard to come by and I don't want to taint anything. But I also really want to progress as a band, get tighter and get asked to play more shows and I feel like with her being so spaced out all the time that will do the opposite.

Like I said were a three piece and I feel like our drummer wont say anything because, well they're dating and have been for a while now (even before the band started) were also all roommates and I feel I can say after living with them for a year I can tell that she can sometimes be an oblivious bully to him sometimes and he is a bit of a pushover so I know he wont be bringing any of this up to her even if it does bother him as well. So my question is: what are your thoughts on this? should I say something? how should I say it?
"I feel like our drummer wont say anything because, well they're dating and have been for a while now (even before the band started)"

This doesn't sound good. I think in a band no member should date with any other member. It's only going to lead to problems.

But yeah, what I would do is help her set her gear up. That's what I do with my band's guitarist (I play bass). I actually usually tweak his amp and stuff because I remember the settings. Just tell her that you can help and show her how to set things up. And also tell her to write down her settings so that she doesn't need to tweak them all the time. You need to be honest. So just tell her you can help her.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I would just kinda be like, "Hey, check it out. 'Input' is where the sound comes in from the guitar and 'Output' is where the sound goes out to the next pedal. See?"

Or something like that, you know? She'll probably get it then and she shouldn't feel offended.

Also, MaggaraMarine is absolutely right about the dating part. If I may, I would put it this way: intra-band dating is a death sentence.

Peace and Love.
J
Call me Kerouac
^^^ That sounds like the right approach. Get together with her sometime and teach her how to set up her pedals. Just keep the sex to a minimum as it would piss off the drummer.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
just use some banter - have a laugh about it. she'll pick up the underlying seriousness of it unless she's stupid!
ROCK 'N' ROLL
Has she expressed interest or admiration of your pedal board? You could help her set one up. Even a scrap plywood and velcro chunk of ugly would do the trick.
Quote by webber243
just use some banter - have a laugh about it. she'll pick up the underlying seriousness of it unless she's stupid!

Oh, definitely! Passive-aggressive behavior always works!
If this is happening before a show, yeah, help her with it if you can, and with practice, she'll get good at it.

But is all this tweaking happening between songs? If it is, then she really needs to find a strategy to help her be more efficient. Jotting settings down on a setlist beside each song would work. Another strategy is keeping these things in mind when building a setllist, so that you minimize the amount of tweaking required between songs rather than going back and forth, only to go back again two songs later.

She may find, though, that if she uses a lot of different sounds, and each sound requires a lot of tweaking between songs, that she'll reach the conclusion that a multi-fx unit is the way to go.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.