I'm trying to get a little more gain and volume boost and im having no luck. When I put my boosta grande out front i hear virtually no difference whether its set to 1 or 10 when using the OD channel, on the clean channel there's a huge volume boost. In the loop the volume boost is huge but yet it seems to actually lessen the gain and alters the tone in a way I don't like.

I also have a hardwire tube OD, Ive never tried it in the loop but again out front i really don't notice any kind of difference except for feedback. I like my gain where its at for 95% of time but for solos and some certain songs I want to boost it but it just doesn't seem to work, is it possible to up the volume and gain?
That's because on the OD channel you are already clipping the tubes so your boost adds more clipping (ie distortion) not volume. In the loop it isn't pushing the preamp tubes harder, it's just increasing the volume presented to the power amp. So unless you are running the power amp hard enough to get power amp distortion (like I do) it won't add distortion, just volume.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So Cath your saying to get what i want i would have to put boost in loop and dime the master? Well that sucks since I cant get the master past 3 without people coming at me with pitchforks lol
No. What I'm saying is if you want is a volume boost without adding extra distortion when on the OD channel, stick it in the loop. It will only add extra distortion if you are running the amp really loud. To get extra distortion at lower volumes the boost has to be in front.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
what amp do you have? when using boosts, headroom is key. on a dead clean amp with a lot of headroom, a boost will only add volume.

if you amp is already crunchy or breaking up, a boost might add volume and gain. if you amp is saturated or distorted, a boost will just add gain. you are "out of headroom" i.e. - hit the ceiling, nowhere else to go so it just saturates more.

in the loop, you are not driving yout preamp, you are driving the power tubes, so generally, unless your power section is breaking up, a boost in the loop will just add clean volume.

yes, i have discovered that my EP booster in the loop add a hint more clean tone but not much. i actually like this as it adds a touch of clarity to help cut through.

there are a couple things here.

1- how you run your amp is key. that is on you, we cant help you.

2- the pedal type and how its run. perhaps its better to run an OD pedal with the level up, gain almost all the way down, or perhaps a hint of gain to get you the added grit.

3- there are boosts that are made to eventually clip or perhaps provide grit while some boosts are made to be a completely clean line driver.

both will saturate an amp, but some are designed for some reason i can explain to be dirtier than others. you may like one of those.

what is your amp setup and how are you running the hardwire OD?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Basics of amp in a nutshell. Gain controls the volume of preamp, but there is a point how loud it can get. Pushing it over of what it can wont make things any louder, but cause distortion. You will see this with your clean channel. As you turn gain up it gets louder to a certain point and then it starts to distort. Overdrive channels just hammer the preamp louder.

Now, adding overdrive or clean boost before that makes the signal arriving your preamp much louder, causing the preamp to distort earlier and therefore you have more distortion available.

Same thing applies with the poweramp. If you do not care about your neighbours like Cathbard here you can make the poweramp distort if you crank the volume. At some point it stops getting louder and start to distort. Putting the overdrive in the FX loop does the same thing for your poweramp as it does to a preamp if its in front. It makes the signal louder and if your amp has enough clean headroom it will also increase a volume, but it wont increase the maximum volume of what your amp is capable of. It will just distort more when you hit that wall and try to go over it.

Not sure if I make any sense.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 24, 2013,
Its a tremoverb and the hardwire is out front, level maxed, high and low to taste and gain on bout 2-3.

The gain on amp is about 12-12:30, sounds really good with lots of clarity for rhythm stuff, i was just looking for a little extra grit with volume for leads and other parts. Im not pushing the tubes very hard, channel volume is around 11:00 and im using the loop master as the master volume at 9:00 and that's a ridiculous volume already. id need to be in an arena to open it up anymore.

I find that the hardwire really doesn't add much of anything besides feedback, nothing noticeable to me anyway. Although I don't get the volume boost im after I prefer the boosta grande in place of the hardwire out front for more saturation.

thanks guys...
well, have you tried using both the hardwire and the boosta grande in different positions both on?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Also a solution for you may be to add a bit of colour from the pedal itself while it's in the loop. ie turn up the gain on the pedal a smidge. That will give you a volume boost and a little extra distortion. That's what you want, no?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
@ikey, no i haven't although it was a thought until I thought about having to stomp on 2 boxes and the fact that I never really gained much of anything from the hardwire out front. I like my base tone but just wanted that little extra with 1 stomp if I could it.

@cath I can give that a try...
perhaps you need to ditch the hardwire? it doesnt seem like it does much for you? i never liked hardwire.

seems like you need a dual pedal, a boost/ overdrive, i just stumbled upon the budda OD/Boost, there the CMAT Mods super signa drive....etc. lots of those types of pedals are emerging now. basically the built in boost just saturates the OD section of the pedal more.

However, i would recommend one with 2 independant sides. IE - some of these dual pedals only have the boost functioning with the OD on.

a dual pedal with 2 truly independant circuits can have the od on by itself, the boost on by itself, or both on at the same time.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by Cathbard
Also a solution for you may be to add a bit of colour from the pedal itself while it's in the loop. ie turn up the gain on the pedal a smidge. That will give you a volume boost and a little extra distortion. That's what you want, no?

Sometimes a little color is a good thing. Maybe tey a 10 band with the volume and gain increased tweaked.

Look into at a Timmy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/