I have an average guitar that I really like, and I thought "Why should I buy a supposedly better one when there's tons of pickups, amps and effect pedals that can make it sound the way I want?"
It's just a doubt I've stumbled upon... I'm not saying you shouldn't change your guitar, but is there any benefit for doing it rather than spending money with other sound altering gear?
Thanks!
Last edited by xVictor at Aug 24, 2013,
Most of your sound comes from what amp you are using. If you want a much better sound, you need to upgrade the amp.

If you like the way your current guitar plays and it suits you and the style of music you frequent, keep it. You can always buy a second after you have all the amps/pedals/blah you want.
The gear:

Carvin Bolt Classic
PRS SE Singlecut
Agile AL-1900
Peavey Vypyr 2
Yeah, like, I guess the only big reason I'd have to buy another is looks... or mine breaking in half
would help to know what gear you have now. maybe you are just a pickup change away or a different pedal but you don't provide much info. what sound are you trying achieve?
If you love your current guitar and it feels like its made for you, keep it and upgrade it. Only reason why I own multiple guitars is because I use different tunings, all the way from baritone to E standard. And of course looks. I love the looks of guitars and I like to own a lot of them, all different kinds. Tomorrow I MAY get my first 7 string, to experiment how much I suck with extra string added on top.

But my favourite guitar is my Cort EVL-Z4 and it stays as my go-to guitar when I just want to jam, tunings be damned.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 24, 2013,
The short answer is that you can never have enough guitars.

The long answer is (for me) I like playing around with different tunings. Hence one in E Standard, one a half-step down, one in open G, and one that'll be set up for Drop D whenever I get around to it. Eventually, I'll buy another SG to detune down to C# Standard. Because I can. And I've fallen in love with the SG's after buying mine.

Also, while amp plays an important part, different guitars do sound completely different on the same amp. I will not get the same tone out of my SG as my Stratocaster with two humbuckers, and certainly not the same as the Strat with the traditional 3 single coils. When I had a Les Paul, it also had a completely different tone on the same amp as my Strats and SG.
I am a guitar nut, in that I have bought and sold many guitars in the past years. No solid reason for this, I thought I needed them. It has come down to four guitars I love. The first is my oldest guitar a Fender Telecaster Deluxe 1973 I bought new. The second is my Stratocaster 1985 that now only the body is original. Hardware change, EMG pups, new maple neck with an ebony finger board. I am married to it my work my guitar. My Brian Moore Les Paul style is staying because I love it and it can throw one hell of a shit storm. Last my Gretsch CVT because I love playing the Beatles and this guitar is my Abbey Road. A poopy little acoustic guitar I play a lot but do not count. Amps I save for a rainy day.
Last edited by kevinpaul at Aug 24, 2013,
Different guitars feel different in your hands. Also you may want to have guitars with different kind of bridges (fixed, vintage, Bigsby, Floyd Rose). Also one guitar can't do all sounds. If you want both single coil and humbucker sounds, a HSS guitar can do it but then you'll lack the bridge single coil or neck humbucker. And if you want a Stratocaster sound, no amp is going to give you that if you have a Les Paul. You may get a "better" sound but it will never sound like a Stratocaster unless it's a Stratocaster (or something similar).

You can get more sounds if you have more guitars. Same goes if you have many amps or many FX pedals. And IMO the most important thing is how the guitar feels in your hands. And different guitars feel different.

And yeah, as many have already said, different tunings.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
If you really are happy with your "average" guitar then there really is no real reason to buy a new one.

For me though, I like to have different guitars for different tunings. I have my Ibanez S5470 tuned to E standard, a Schecter C-1 Classic in D standard or drop C, a Schecter Damien Elite 8 tuned to F#, a cheap fender acoustic tuned to open C, an Alvarez acoustic in standard or drop D depending, and an old beater Harmony strat copy that sits next to my couch for if I feel like doodling around a bit unplugged. They all serve their own purpose.
Because the actual thing you're touching is the foundation of tone. Pickups, amps, and effects can't create what's not there. Higher quality guitars tend to resonate more which creates a more responsive and dynamic guitar. They also have more harmonics.
I always loved my SG, but as a musician you'll always want to explore, which leads to wanting to try out different tonalities. You don't have to like just 1 thing.
you're thinking about this wrong

you don't need only one guitar- the only justification for getting another one isn't just "it's better than my current guitar".

keep your current guitar, get another one which does a different type of tone (or just because you like it, it's all good).

How do you know when you have enough?

"Just one more..."

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The real question is "why not?"
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
that's a better way to look at it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As somebody said, it's not always about having a "better" guitar and never playing your "worse" guitars. All guitars are different and have different sounds and a different vibe.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
to be fair, i have chronic GAS and will only be happy if everyone else does too

but yeah i mean different guitars do different tones. if you have an awesome guitar currently it probably doesn't make sense to get a cheapo crappy guitar which does a different tone from your current guitar (as your current guitar will show it up), but as long as it's decent and does a tone your current guitar doesn't do, IMO, it's all good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?