Budget: 500

Genres: Hard Rock, Shoegaze, Pop Punk, Post-Hardcore, Alternative.

Gig and Home use

Closest City: Greensboro.

Current Gear: Guitars- Fender TD Stratocaster, Fender Baja Telecaster, Squier VM Jaguar. Amps- Vox AC30, Roland JC-120. Effects- Digitech Whammy V, Dunlop Kirk Hammet Wah, Ibanez Tube Screamer, ProCo The Rat, Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi w/Wicker, MXR Flanger, Joyo Phaser, DOD Ice Box.

So I've found a few amps I'm interested in. But I'd also like to see if I could get input on them and a few more suggestions.

Peavey Windsor Comes with the cab and would be pretty much ready to go. I'm sure I could get him down to about 400 too. I hear a lot of good things about these amps. The main reason I'm not 100 percent about this one though is the next amp.

Peavey VTM 120 These amps seem to be almost coveted and another guitarist here in GSO often gets compliments on the sound he gets out of it. I feel like this amp would make my rig a lot more flexible.

1979 Fender Twin Reverb Now this would be a cool amp to own. But I'm not sure of the condition it is in. The cost to repair might not be worth it.

Fender Blues Deluxe This one is a little more safe of a purchase I think even if it is a little banged up.

Fender Hot Rod Deville Another amp that I have played a few times. I like the way it sounds. Takes pedals really well.

As far as craiglist goes, the things listed in my price range are Peavey and Fender. The Peavey amps will give me more crunch then anything in my rig right now, but the Fender amps have the cleans, and would be good platforms for pedals.

So any advice on the chosen amps, or any suggestions of your own?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
u might want to look into a Peavey valveking . the clean channel is very fender like and the dirt channel will cover most of what you like. goose it with an overdrive and you can cover even more ground. the VTM series are good amps but may not have as much distortion as you want for certain styles. the fender twin is a great amp for cleans but not so much for the dirt sounds without overdrive or distortion pedal in front.
What don't you like about the vox?

If you're after something with a heavier distortion, none of those amps that you've listed are going to do it, except for the VTM( I have no experience witht he VTM).

I'm not a big fan of the windsor. I just recently tried out the head, but ended up buying an AC30H instead. I found that it was too sterile, and it had to be pushed wayyyy too loud to get a good breakup.

If you could tell us more about the tones you are after, we can help you better.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
What don't you like about the vox?

If you're after something with a heavier distortion, none of those amps that you've listed are going to do it, except for the VTM( I have no experience witht he VTM).

I'm not a big fan of the windsor. I just recently tried out the head, but ended up buying an AC30H instead. I found that it was too sterile, and it had to be pushed wayyyy too loud to get a good breakup.

If you could tell us more about the tones you are after, we can help you better.

Don't get me wrong. I love my vox. I'm looking for something that will give me a different tone from the Vox and the Roland. So something with more crunch, for like harder rock.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
VTM amps are really nice. They are a Hot Rod JCM800 type amp and they have dip switches that allow you to choose how you want it to sound.

Out of what you listed, that is my choice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
VTM amps are really nice. They are a Hot Rod JCM800 type amp and they have dip switches that allow you to choose how you want it to sound.

Out of what you listed, that is my choice.

forsaknazrael is a fan, too.