So my guitar is a G&L Tribute Ascari GTS. It came with custom buckers, but I'm not too sure if they suit the guitar style I want.

I'm looking for a metallica, quite high gain type tone and a good clean tone. Is it worth me changing my pickups to EMG 81/60 or something? Because I'm also looking for an amp that can fit that style but i don't know if the custom pickups would sound weird with a high gain amp... I don't know :S

Summary-

Should i change my pickups?

What's the best high gain amp for around £500?

chinnyboy.
Last edited by chinnyboy at Aug 24, 2013,
First amp and potentially a good cab. Thats where majority of your sound comes from. Pickups are for fine tuning.

Fill this out:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Thanks.

Budget - I'm willing to spend around £500 on an amp, Max £530.

Genres - I play any genre at the moment, but i would like a tone like Metallica or Nirvana if possible, and the amp would be more appealing with a good clean tone.

New or used - I'd prefer the amp to be new, however, say the amp was in a good condition i would get a used amp.

Home or gig - Mostly home, but i do gig around 4 times a year and this amp would be used on those occasions.

Closest city - Liverpool, and the best music shop there is Dawsons.

Current gear - My guitar is a G&L Tribute Ascari GTS, and i own a shit Kustom Arrow 16DFX at the moment for my "amp", and its horrible :P

chinnyboy
I'd say jet city is a pretty strong contender. You can get the 50 watt heads from either thomann or they now have a UK distributor for around £250. Combine that with the harley benton g212 vintage (~£160) on thomann and you have a pretty sweet high gain rig. Cleans might not be the best (by that i mean not all that much headroom, rather than actually bad cleans), but you're probably going to have to compromise on something at that kind of budget. Even high-end high gain amps rarely have cleans that'll compare to a fender twin.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks Dave,

Just listened to the Jet City JCA50H and it sounds too good to be true for the price! Before you commented the amps i had in mind were;

Peavey 6505+ 112

Laney Ironheart IRT Studio (I'd buy a 1x12 cab with it)

Blackstar HT-5R

How do you think these compare with the Jet City?

chinnyboy
I haven't tried any of those I've tried the dearer USA version of the 6505 and it's very good, I suspect the cheaper, chinese-made 112 version isn't made quite as well (but I could be wrong).

I haven't tried the ironheart- I like laneys, but the ironheart is made in china so I don't know if it's going to be of the same quality as the other laneys I've tried. EDIT: i should point out, the jet city is made in china too. By most accounts it's made pretty well for a chinese amp, but it's not like the jet city is a handmade boutique amp or anything like that.

The blackstar has two problems, really- 1) it's not all-tube, it has a lot of solid state stuff going on in it. Not a problem if you like how it sounds, but it's worth bearing in mind and 2) more importantly, at only 5 watts it wouldn't be big enough for gigging etc. (while still being probably too loud to crank at home).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks,

Looks like I'm getting the 50 watt jet city amp.

Is the Jet City 2x12 cab any good or should i hold out for a cab with V30's?

Chinnyboy
I figure you might as well get the harley benton cab (unless you hate how it looks; you can always swap the speakers in the jet city cab, just it'll cost more) as it's only ~£25 dearer than the jet city cab and already has good speakers. Also the HB cab is a bit bigger than the jet city cab and I think (having not exactly done scientific A/B tests, but just this is my feeling) it sounds a bit bigger/chunkier too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't really like the look of the HB Cab but i guess it's not about looks, it's about tone, right? I'm either getting one of them, but if you think the HB cab will have a fatter sound then thats always a plus :P I'm gonna look out for a HB cab but if they don't have any i'll just get the jet city cab.

Chinnyboy
Once again Dave has covered everything
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
you'll have to get the harley benton cab from thomann (unless you find one second hand in the UK, I suppose) as HB is thomann's house brand.

Yeah I mean the harley benton sounds better out of the box as it has better speakers and also i think the cab sounds better too. But if you put good speakers in the jet city cab it'll still sound pretty good. Just that's going to be a more expensive option.

Personally if you did go for a cab which needed a speaker upgrade, I'd go with eminence v12s instead of celestion v30s. Soldano uses v12s now, and I think they suit the jet city better than v30s (which are still good, they'd be my second-favourite choice with the jet city, most likely- or maybe one v30 and one g12t75, which is what soldano used to use).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by chinnyboy
I don't really like the look of the HB Cab but i guess it's not about looks, it's about tone, right? I'm either getting one of them, but if you think the HB cab will have a fatter sound then thats always a plus :P I'm gonna look out for a HB cab but if they don't have any i'll just get the jet city cab.

Chinnyboy

Honestly dont get why people dont like the look of the cab, I think it looks really nice. Just take the name plate off and its pretty

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
yeah i've seen worse plain black boxes

er

but seriously, yeah. it's not great but i've seen worse, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by chinnyboy

Chinnyboy

Jet City cabs are well built and good cabs but the speakers are VERY midrange heavy. They are good but there are better speakers for metal. I think the JC cabs look fugly. And I own one and have to look at it everyday...

Harley Benton Vintage cabs are great deal for money. The speakers combined, when bought new, cost about that much so you practically get decent cab as extra.

And if you dont like the looks, remove the Harley Benton logo and glue a Marshall logo or something on it instead. Problem solved.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 25, 2013,
haha what would be a cheap(ish) cab with eminence v12s? I've heard they produce a rounder sound than the v30's! If you don't really know of any cheap cabs with v12's, i'll just get the HB cab :P
not that many that i'm aware of. soldanos have v12s (but they're not anywhere approaching cheap), some of the kranks do too. Maybe some I'm forgetting.

Really if you want v12s, unless you get lucky it's probably easier to just get a cab with mediocre speakers (or an unloaded cab) and put the speakers in yourself.

Or i suppose you could get a montage cab from lean business, they're fairly cheap and will load the cabs with your choice of speakers.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nah I'm just gonna go with the HB cab. Its bloody ugly but its a good price for the v30's.
yeah that's pretty much the gist of it. If you're in a situation where you can make use of vintage 30s, it's almost a no-brainer. Even if you hate the cab, the cab was almost free if you consider the retail prices of the speakers alone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
one more thing. whats the cheapest place to get the jet city amps? i cant really find a uk dealer :S
Music Radar and Andertons seem to be the only ones that ring a bell

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Listen to Dave. I have nothing more to add really, he nailed it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
as the jet city amps are so cheap, i can possibly afford to change my bridge pickup. would the Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader sound decent with the jet city?
^ I'm not sure, I haven't tried an invader with mine. Normally I don't much like the invader as it's very dark, but the jet city can be quite bright, so it might work. At the same time, it may well be overkill, the jet city has a ton of preamp gain, odds are you don't need something as hot as an invader (though if you do, that's fair enough).

Personally, I also think duncans are pretty dear in Europe for what you get (apart from some of the sets which thomann etc. sometimes sells at half-reasonable prices). I quite like duncans, but you can get handwound pickups made in europe for less than the machine-wound duncans- oil city, mojo (in northern ireland; there's another dearer mojo in england ), catswhisker and jess loureiro in spain all offer handwound pickups for less than duncans normally cost. I haven't tried any of them (so bear that in mind, that's not a recommendaion!), but if they half know what they're doing at all, I would guess they'd be at least as good as the duncans. Could be wrong, of course (and the duncans will probably have better resale value, if that's important).

Quote by chinnyboy
one more thing. whats the cheapest place to get the jet city amps? i cant really find a uk dealer :S

thomann is pretty cheap

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification.html?sid=4c1a9017bb65f650fa1cf4c679a02b98

I also heard someone on musicradar say they had a UK distributor which had similar prices for the heads

http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product-category/heads/

there might be a slight advantage to buying from the UK as, while technically the voltage is the same, in practice (I think) the UK is still 240V while the EU is 220. Normally the things still work (I have amps I've bought from german shops ), but it might be worth bearing in mind, too. Also, if something goes wrong, you'll likely have a quicker resolution from a UK-based shop. And it's a small thing, but if you buy from thomann it'll come with an EU kettle lead so you'll need to get your own UK kettle lead (like £10, if even).

On the other hand, in my experience thomann has been very good to deal with and they have a 3-year warranty.

it's up to you, really.

Quote by Cathbard
Listen to Dave. I have nothing more to add really, he nailed it.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 26, 2013,
i chose the duncans as i heard the jet city can sound a little too bright, but i don't want to change the 6L6 tubes. I will look at the handwound pickups you have said. In the mean time, do you know any Seymour Duncan / EMG bridge pickups that may actually work with the Jet city? Finally, i think im going to get it from the UK as thomann don't have any 50h heads in stock (as of today)

Chinnyboy.
yeah i just noticed thomann was out of stock when i went to get that link. no worries.

I haven't really had a problem with any of the duncan pickups I have with the jet city (I've got a custom 5, JB and distortion). I found the thing that toned down the treble best (and I haven't got round to swapping my tubes yet either, so bear that in mind ) was eminence v12s as speakers. Though admittedly well broken-in v30s lose their harshness a fair bit, too, so they would likely be fine, too.

I'm guessing the EMG 85 in the bridge might work better than the 81, but I only have one guitar with EMGs with an 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck

a dimarzio tone zone is often recommended for taming brightness/fizz, but personally I think it's overkill a lot of the time. I'd be scared of a similar problem with the invader.

the other thing is, it depends on your own preference of what's "too bright" and "too dark". One person's "bright" is another's "just right", etc. etc., so don't worry too much about it.

I'd get the amp first before worrying about pickups, too, that way you can fine tune your tone exactly the way you want with the pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by chinnyboy
i chose the duncans as i heard the jet city can sound a little too bright, but i don't want to change the 6L6 tubes. I will look at the handwound pickups you have said. In the mean time, do you know any Seymour Duncan / EMG bridge pickups that may actually work with the Jet city? Finally, i think im going to get it from the UK as thomann don't have any 50h heads in stock (as of today)

Chinnyboy.

They rarely are. Once in a blue moon they get a small stock that goes quite fast. Atleast you can preorder them now, last year (when I was looking for one) they just removed them from their site when they sold out.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 26, 2013,
^ yeah

though if he can get it from that UK site I listed for the same price, no harm done.

I should add I haven't ordered from that UK jet city site- I only found out about it because someone on the Musicradar site (or its replacement, the fretboard) found out about it and posted it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, I'm gonna stick around till the amp comes and if it's a too bright or fuzzy i might get the EMG 81/85 set or something. If i don't need pickups, i may save the money and invest on a pedal :P
yeah

i'd say an od/boost pedal is pretty handy. On the cheap, a bad monkey is hard to beat (you can pick it up, new, from thomann for ~£26). the screamin blues (same price) is pretty nice too for a more transparent boost.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
At this point in time you should not even be worrying about new pickups. You will get better results with good tubes. Their Stock tubes are terrible
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
and dave i was actually thinking of going for a suhr riot or a tube screamer just to boost it to be honest. im not a fan of cheap od pedals haha xD
Quote by chinnyboy
are the tubes really that bad? i dont wanna change tubes to be honest :S

They will probably sound good for you now, but in the future when you swap to new and better tubes you will ask why you didn't do it right away.

How did i figure it out? When replaced it sounded so much better and i smacked my self in the head and said why didn't i change a few years ago.

You plug and go with preamp rubes, you may need to bias the poweramp tubes. Read up on it. If it does, bring it in. From my phone its harder to type, and don't remember what you amp you have
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i wouldn't boost it with a suhr riot, that's a high gain distortion pedal. You only need a slight boost.

Also if you ask me, once you have a good amp even a cheap pedal to use as a boost will work fine. A bad monkey, for example, is a glorified tubescreamer. Most ods are tubescreamers or TS-derivatives.

I'd also query the logic of getting a cheaper amp and then getting a dearer pedal. that's doing it backwards, if you ask me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?