Hey guys,

I've posted about this in the past and I'm getting more and more frustrated lately. I have a brand new 2013 fender am std strat. The action is admittedly pretty low, but that's how I like it. Unfortunately, the D and G strings buzz a fair amount, especially when fretted lower on the neck ("lower" being towards the headstock). I've tried raising the action a TON and this hasn't really helped the problem much. I've brought the guitar in for a setup at the shop that i bought it from, they told me they fixed the problem, but nothing was changed at all. I'm getting really frustrated. To add to the frustration, I'm left-handed, so this guitar was "special ordered", which means there's no refund available. I'm honestly considering trading the guitar in for a 2011 am standard model w/ an ugly reddish sunburst finish just so I have something that doesn't buzz. I'll appreciate any help whatsoever.
I don't know where abouts in the world you are, but if you're in the "western" world you're more than likely able to get a proper set-up from someone other than the shop that you bought it from.

I'm shocked they failed to help you especially when you special ordered it through their shop. That's just disrespectful.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
I don't know where abouts in the world you are, but if you're in the "western" world you're more than likely able to get a proper set-up from someone other than the shop that you bought it from.

I'm shocked they failed to help you especially when you special ordered it through their shop. That's just disrespectful.

I'm on Long Island, New York. They've given me lackluster service before. I know how to setup the guitar myself for the most part, but I just can't get it to an action i like without having buzzing. Even when i raise it a fair bit higher than i'd prefer, there's still slight buzzing.
Is the neck relief correct?

If the neck is correct and you can't get the buzz to stop, you likely have a fret issue.

Did you get your bridge issue cleared up?
Quote by D_M_I
Is the neck relief correct?

If the neck is correct and you can't get the buzz to stop, you likely have a fret issue.

Did you get your bridge issue cleared up?

i left the bridge as is. The intonation seems okay. A fret issue, how? Should this be possible on a brand new guitar?
New guitars can have fret problems. There could be any number of reasons I suppose, but it happens.

There is always a refund option if it's defective. I would understand if you just didn't want it, but that's not the issue. Take it back and show them the problem. What store?

Doesn't Fender have a warranty? Can you look for another licensed dealer or contact Fender directly?
I've found that most guitars have their nut slots cut too deep. It's pretty infuriating - no matter what you do with your action or truss rod it doesn't matter if your strings are basically laying on top of your first fret.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by D_M_I
New guitars can have fret problems. There could be any number of reasons I suppose, but it happens.

There is always a refund option if it's defective. I would understand if you just didn't want it, but that's not the issue. Take it back and show them the problem. What store?

Doesn't Fender have a warranty? Can you look for another licensed dealer or contact Fender directly?

I was told that because it was "special ordered" due to me being left handed, there were no refunds to be had and the best they could do would be to put it on ebay for me. they told me they'd give me unlimited free setups for the first year, but i've had it setup twice now already, and it takes 5-7 days and so far hasn't fixed the problem. it's music emporium in bellmore, new york.
Quote by Offworld92
I've found that most guitars have their nut slots cut too deep. It's pretty infuriating - no matter what you do with your action or truss rod it doesn't matter if your strings are basically laying on top of your first fret.

so i need a new nut, then? ugh. is there any way to test all of this? like i said, i like my action low, so the problem could certainly be on my end, but i've tried raising it to the point where the allen key gets stuck and won't go any higher, and the buzz still exists on the G's lower frets.
Quote by RyanMW2010
I was told that because it was "special ordered" due to me being left handed, there were no refunds to be had and the best they could do would be to put it on ebay for me. they told me they'd give me unlimited free setups for the first year, but i've had it setup twice now already, and it takes 5-7 days and so far hasn't fixed the problem. it's music emporium in bellmore, new york.

Like I said you are having issues with the quality, not that you just want to return it. There has to be a warranty. If it came in with a broken neck, you wouldn't be required to take it, for ex.

Anyway. They may not feel, or know, it has the issue you think it does. Take it back and show them exactly what you want fixed.

Unless open strings are buzzing, it's not the nut. Again, even if it is, they should be more than willing to repair it. Don't stress out, you are getting worried about everything anyone even mentions as though it's an absolute fault. These are just possible problems.

Relax, take a breath and explain the issue to the store and let them fix it. We an only suggest possible issue without seeing the guitar. Maybe, you are just trying to go too low. There is a limit to how low you can adjust your strings. You may be confusing normal vibrations that you will get with low action, with fret buzz. I don't know. Any tech with minimal experience should be able to help you if you talk with them and go over your specific concerns.

On the other hand, they may be just going through the motions as far as measurements and not playing it, or don't hear what you are as fret buzz. I also have concerns with just leaving the bridge raise excessively. If it is super high after they set it up.Go somewhere else.

I know having problems with a new guitar is frustrating, but it happens. If you can't get the response you want from the dealer, go somewhere else. At least you will be able to get to the bottom of your issues. The store you bought it are either ignorant, a-holes, or don't see the problem you are. If you can't get them to help, just move on and don't frequent there anymore.
Quote by D_M_I
Like I said you are having issues with the quality, not that you just want to return it. There has to be a warranty. If it came in with a broken neck, you wouldn't be required to take it, for ex.

Anyway. They may not feel, or know, it has the issue you think it does. Take it back and show them exactly what you want fixed.

Unless open strings are buzzing, it's not the nut. Again, even if it is, they should be more than willing to repair it. Don't stress out, you are getting worried about everything anyone even mentions as though it's an absolute fault. These are just possible problems.

Relax, take a breath and explain the issue to the store and let them fix it. We an only suggest possible issue without seeing the guitar. Maybe, you are just trying to go too low. There is a limit to how low you can adjust your strings. You may be confusing normal vibrations that you will get with low action, with fret buzz. I don't know. Any tech with minimal experience should be able to help you if you talk with them and go over your specific concerns.

On the other hand, they may be just going through the motions as far as measurements and not playing it, or don't hear what you are as fret buzz. I also have concerns with just leaving the bridge raise excessively. If it is super high after they set it up.Go somewhere else.

I know having problems with a new guitar is frustrating, but it happens. If you can't get the response you want from the dealer, go somewhere else. At least you will be able to get to the bottom of your issues. The store you bought it are either ignorant, a-holes, or don't see the problem you are. If you can't get them to help, just move on and don't frequent there anymore.

thanks DMI, you've been a big help. This is my first american made instrument and i've been playing for almost 20 years, so needless to say, i've been waiting my entire life for it. i'm just bummed it has issues. I'm going to bring it back to them in a few days and talk to them directly, at length, about the issue. i hate being without this guitar for 5-8 days but i would rather it be pristine than not.

The bridge is still very high and i've noticed that it moves when i bend strings, especially double stops. i've seen tutorials on hwo to block the trem but i'm not really sure i want to do that or if i'm even capable. i will see if they can adjust this for me also, as i'm not super comfortable going into the back of the guitar and removing springs, etc.
if you want help setting it up, check out the setup thread top of the page.

look at the first post then post specific questions in the setup thread.

i'll help you set it up.

also remember that buzz that does not transmit thru the amp is generally not considered an issue.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
if you want help setting it up, check out the setup thread top of the page.

look at the first post then post specific questions in the setup thread.

i'll help you set it up.

also remember that buzz that does not transmit thru the amp is generally not considered an issue.

i can't really tell if it's coming through the amp or not . i think it does on the G string but i'm not 100%. i'll look at the setup thread, thanks.
the reason I mention this is because the tech
most likely set it up with the goal of having
the guitar play buzz free through an amp.

for anything else, you would need to be
more specific.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011