I'm looking at getting a new amp and want to ask the knowledgeable UG community what they think of the VOX AC15VR? I am currently playing through a Roland Cube 20x with a Gibson Les Paul Standard and like the amp alright, but it doesn't have the greatest tone and I don't really like all the amp modeling features. Looking for something very straight forward that has a good clean channel and a good distortion channel. I mainly play punk rock and metal but like to goof off with other styles. What I'm thinking of doing is getting the VOX AC15VR and a MXR Zakk Wylde OD pedal for when I want to play heavier riffs. I might do some small gigs in the future but mainly play in my basement at lower volumes.

So, what do you guys and gals think about that setup for my playing style?
the first step to failure is trying.
Get a used Vox AC15c1 over the AC15VR they run <$400 used at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

But honestly I would not get a Vox if you want Metal and Punk out of it.

Give us:
Location?
Budget?
New/used?
Giging or home use?
current gear?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You've got location, current gear and home use with possibility of gigging. Budget is <$400 new preferably.
Marshall DSL 401. I think you would be really happy with the DSL. The old one, not the newer ones.

You'd have to go used, buying new really limits you.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Aug 24, 2013,
Up for the dsl.

But if you feel you could still use some effects get a Vypyr tube, which if you ask me is also better for metal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Peavey Ultra combo is my first thought, but the DSL401 used is a great option. Jet City JCA 2212 is also a good amp to consider

TS if you go new you are very, very limited in what there is (and it is not great). If you will go used, you have more options available to you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by bobafettacheese
Marshall DSL 401. I think you would be really happy with the DSL. The old one, not the newer ones.

You'd have to go used, buying new really limits you.

How old are we talking? There's this guy that I'm real tempted to jump on:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MARSHALL-DSL-15C-109375695-i3326221.gc

Or what about the Blackstar? I really don't need a lot of volume.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-BLACKSTAR-HT5R-5W-1X12-GUITAR-COMBO-AMP-109214241-i3236649.gc
Last edited by harm0n20 at Aug 25, 2013,
That DSL15c should do you fine for home practice and the occasional jam with others. The speakers are not the best that come stock, but that is easily fixed (if it is even an issue for you) This is the new DSL series amps.

I would highly recommend you get a new set of tubes for it though.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 25, 2013,
Now that I think of it, the bugera v22 has a nice clean channel indeed, and the distortion is pretty good but not powerfull enough for high gain stuff.

It is also extremely cheap.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I was not a huge fan of the new DSL series, kind if lack luster. But between that and the blackstar I would go for the Marshall.
The Blackstar looks tempting but the honeymoon phase will not last very long.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by harm0n20
How old are we talking? There's this guy that I'm real tempted to jump on:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MARSHALL-DSL-15C-109375695-i3326221.gc

Or what about the Blackstar? I really don't need a lot of volume.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-BLACKSTAR-HT5R-5W-1X12-GUITAR-COMBO-AMP-109214241-i3236649.gc

Not that one. He is talking about these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=dsl401&src=dsl401

Blackstar can bite my arse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My only concern with the DSL 401 is having 40 watts. I'll probably be playing this at bedroom levels 80% of the time.
valve amps aren't really bedroom volume friendly. Even with the master volumes. But the master volume helps.
Quote by harm0n20
My only concern with the DSL 401 is having 40 watts. I'll probably be playing this at bedroom levels 80% of the time.

The other 20% is all that matters.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm definitely more concerned with the 80%. I would rather have an amp that sounds good at low volumes and can be mic'd for the very infrequent jam session or whatever than an amp that only sounds good when cranked.

So, does the 401 sound much better at low volumes than the 15c would?
Quote by harm0n20
I'm definitely more concerned with the 80%. I would rather have an amp that sounds good at low volumes and can be mic'd for the very infrequent jam session or whatever than an amp that only sounds good when cranked.

So, does the 401 sound much better at low volumes than the 15c would?

It sounds fine at lower volumes. Like all tube amps it sounds best cranked though.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just gonna throw my usual wrench in the gears here and say that the DSL401 isn't a metal amp. I'm not sure about the DSL15C, but I know the DSL40C is based off of the heads, that will do metal.

As much as I hate Blackstar, sonically it's a better choice for what you want.

Huge +1 to a Peavey Ultra 112. They're kind of hard to find, but they will destroy anything else being discussed here. Ditto for the Peavey XXX 112, but they're kind of disappointing compared to the Ultra IMO.

This subject gets extremely complicated, and unfortunately there is no standard scaleability with this sort of thing, but to put it as simply without going into it as I can, watts do not correlate to volume in the way that you probably think they do. Just because you have a high wattage amp, doesn't mean that it won't be usable in the bedroom. There are many, many other factors that decide that, that all have to do with how the amp is designed.

And at the end of the day, just stick an EQ with a level slider in the loop of the amp - it will give you much, much finer control over the volume of your amp. The Peavey 6505 is usually an amp that is impossible to use at talking volumes, but with a level control in the loop, it turns into a little bitch (this is how I run mine in my little 2br apt).

EDIT: Today is your lucky day! Jump on it! http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i3325186.gc With the extra funds, get an EQ for the loop like I mentioned. Danelectro Fish & Chips is excellent for the price.

EDIT 2: +1 to Jet City. The JCA22 is a really good value amp, there's one here: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-JET-CITY-JCA2212C-112-TUBE-COMBO-109089810-i3192172.gc
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 26, 2013,
Meh. I had a Peavey 6505 112 Combo for a while and wasn't a fan of the tone I got, even after switching to some nicer tubes.

I really gotta say, I think I'm sold on the DSL15c unless anyone can give me a good reason to go fo the 401 instead.
When did anyone say anything about a 6505?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by harm0n20
I really gotta say, I think I'm sold on the DSL15c unless anyone can give me a good reason to go fo the 401 instead.

The 401 was made in England, the DSL15C is made in Vietnam.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok ok ok.... I've narrowed it down to a few. I really do appreciate everyone's advice so thanks for being patient and helpful.

Here's what I found used on guitarcenter.com:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/myaccount/wishlist/Default.aspx

EDIT: Keep in mind I'm really just looking for best tone. I play mostly punk and metal but am not necessarily looking for an all out high gain machine. Just something with a good warm tone with a nice clean channel and a decent overdrive channel.

Thanks again for all the help!
Last edited by harm0n20 at Aug 26, 2013,
You linked us to your shopping cart. Not a lot of use to us.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Offworld92
When did anyone say anything about a 6505?

You were talking about Peavey's and I was sharing my experience with Peavey. Maybe the Ultra is quite a bit different but the 6505 put a bad taste in my mouth.
Quote by Cathbard
You linked us to your shopping cart. Not a lot of use to us.

My bad I was trying to link to a wish list or something on guitar center but I guess you have to be signed in to my account to view it?

Here's a lowdown on the list:

Marshall DSL 15C at $350
Blackstar HT5r at $330
Egnater Tweaker 30 at $400
Vox AC15C1 at $400

I'm kind of leaning more towards the Marshall or the Vox but, as always, am open to opinions etc.
DSL401. Just do it.

But of those four, the Tweaker.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by harm0n20
You were talking about Peavey's and I was sharing my experience with Peavey. Maybe the Ultra quite a bit different but the 6505 put a bad taste in my mouth.

Well yeah, it's a different amp...

That's like me recommending you a Les Paul and you saying you're not interested because you don't like SGs. There is no logic there. This isn't 1968, you can't just view entire brands as one sound.

/rant

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Well yeah, it's a different amp...

That's like me recommending you a Les Paul and you saying you're not interested because you don't like SGs. There is no logic there. This isn't 1968, you can't just view entire brands as one sound.

/rant

The logic is, that I bought and played a Peavey for a while and did not like it and do not wish to buy another Peavey. If I had previously owned an SG and you recommended any Gibson, I probably would have the same reservations. An SG and a Les Paul are going to be more similar than an SG and a Strat. So quit the rant and give some useful advice.
Quote by oneblackened
DSL401. Just do it.

But of those four, the Tweaker.

What he said.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Got an Egnater Tweaker and MXR Wylde OD pedal on the way. Should be here in a week and I'll let you guys know how it works out! Thanks again for all the help, you guys definitely influenced my decision, so DON'T BE WRONG!!!
I went with the Fender Blues Jr, which sounds very good as is. However, doing all the basic BillM mods several years ago and putting in a Weber Blue Dog, it was great. Now after doing the new high output power supply, output transformer, and 6L6GC mod, it is absolutely amazing! As good, or better, than ANY boutique amp at 3 to 4 times the price (including mods).

Play both a MIM Strat with Texas Specials (black), and a 50th Anniversary Epiphone Sheridan (red). Both sound awesome through the modded BJr.
^Too late. He's already bought what he wants.
[404]Signature not found
Alright she just showed up today and I've put about an hour in playing her and WOW! Very stoked on the Egnater. Very punchy natural tone. The cleans sound amazing definitely beats out the 6505 on that (obviously). The distortion actually sounds really good too. I'm surprised at how much gain she puts out but every note still sings out and sounds amazing! Very pleased with my purchase and would have to recommend it to anybody looking for a simple, do it all tube amp.
Quote by harm0n20
Alright she just showed up today and I've put about an hour in playing her and WOW! Very stoked on the Egnater. Very punchy natural tone. The cleans sound amazing definitely beats out the 6505 on that (obviously). The distortion actually sounds really good too. I'm surprised at how much gain she puts out but every note still sings out and sounds amazing! Very pleased with my purchase and would have to recommend it to anybody looking for a simple, do it all tube amp.

good to hear a positive experience and actually get feedback from a resolved thread. Doesn't always happen, almost as if people just make threads for shits and giggles.
I hope you enjoy your new amp my friend