I've been neglecting my rhythm guitar skills for the last 3 months I'm on to 8 months in my guitar journey and i'm really sloppy I can't even transition from a C chord to G chord very well I feel like i'm behind and it's getting me kind of depressed I've been thinking about just wood shedding for the next 4 months till I get to my 1 year playing anniversary. Any advice? Or maybe some words of encouragement would be nice all

responses to this post will be greatly appreciated!
everybody starts somewhere... at least you've acknowledged what you have to work on!
Quote by Black_devils
I've been neglecting my rhythm guitar skills for the last 3 months I'm on to 8 months in my guitar journey and i'm really sloppy I can't even transition from a C chord to G chord very well I feel like i'm behind and it's getting me kind of depressed I've been thinking about just wood shedding for the next 4 months till I get to my 1 year playing anniversary. Any advice? Or maybe some words of encouragement would be nice all

We have all been in the same boat. Just persevere and I promise you will get there. It has nothing to do with you, you just got to keep repeating it. Accurate and focused practice is key
Thanks guys I really appreciate the responses I practice a lot. Honestly I just feel like an idiot for ignoring one of the most important if not the most important aspect in music which is rhythm.

Wow! I just had Déjà vu while writing this post and reading the responses coincidence?
Definitely just practice your transitions. And if you feel like you're falling behind in certain aspects of your playing, start working out every aspect when you practice. Make a schedule.
Quote by Black_devils

Hey I made the same mistake when I first started out. Don't worry man you can correct this.

1) First off write a practice schedule depending on what your musical goals are!

Fact is that musicians who know what they want to achieve, and have an action plan to do it go much further than others.

2) Even though in general lead playing could take more practice and time to master, rhythm playing actually makes you a better lead player since it improves your sense of timing, counting, phrasing etc. So try to alternate between one day practicing lead and one day practicing rhythm. Or do a bit of both each day!

It will not take you forever to get back on track if you actually do make the time for it.

some things to work on:

1) Strumming hand alone - fret one chord only and practice dozens of strumming patterns, record your playing and focus on getting very tight and observe your strumming hand!! correct any inefficient motions

2) Fretting hand - practice switching between all the chords you know as smoothly as possible, so strum a G once then strum the next chord then the next etc. (strum each chord once only) and keep getting more accurate and fast at this.

3) Pick a cover which involves the type of rhythm playing you wish to get good at and dedicate a good 15% - 20% of your practice time to that tune! once you learn it well, keep a recording as a trophy and stop playing that song, then move on to a bigger challenge!

I hope this helps you man!

/Dave
Quote by Black_devils

8 months is nothing, you've barely started.

I had a similar experience, don't thing I could really do much of anything even after 6 months. You just need to be knuckle down but be patient, don't start placing unrealistic timeframes on things.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yesterday I listened to some stuff that I recorded when I had been playing for about 8 months and it sounded terrible (I actually listened to some a bit more recent recordings and I think some of them sucked too - some of them sounded horrible and I've been playing for four years). You can't expect to be good with so little experience with guitar. It'll take a long time to "master" the instrument so be patient and don't worry about it too much. Music isn't a competition and there will always be somebody that plays better than you. It's all about practicing. And some people just learn faster. That's life.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
take private lessons or music courses

if you're not attempting to abide by (or refuse to pay for) a curriculum designed for you from a professional, there's nothing to get behind on. you're usually just jacking off

which is cool as long as you work on your problems, but you'll probably develop casually and with a lot of stumbles and bad habits so prepare for that
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Aug 26, 2013,