I play types of metal that uses all sorts of tunings, from E standard down to C standard and even Drop A sometimes, what gauge strings would be best for changing between these tunings?
doesn't work like that. extreme changes in string tension will bow the neck and **** up your action in general. you're better off keeping another guitar downtuned.

but if you insist, 12s.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Aug 25, 2013,
Quote by NakedInTheRain
doesn't work like that. extreme changes in string tension will bow the neck and **** up your action in general. you're better off keeping another guitar downtuned.

but if you insist, 12s.

I change my tuning around all the time on my Les Paul and I don't experience any adverse effects. I use 11-52s to go from Standard to Drop A#.

However, I change the strings on it weekly/thereabouts and readjust the action every time to get it spot on. So there is that to take into account.
Quote by T7E
I change my tuning around all the time on my Les Paul and I don't experience any adverse effects. I use 11-52s to go from Standard to Drop A#.

However, I change the strings on it weekly/thereabouts and readjust the action every time to get it spot on. So there is that to take into account.

11-52 on a regular 25,5 scale neck on drop A# or A ?

a little on the thin side i believe.

i use 12 - 60 for that tuning.
Quote by Jim #4
11-52 on a regular 25,5 scale neck on drop A# or A ?

a little on the thin side i believe.

i use 12 - 60 for that tuning.

Nah on a 24.75

It is quite thin, I wouldn't recommend it for someone playing exclusively down low. BUt it works for the odd occasion.

Anyway, TS, just buy a few different sets and change them weekly until you find the ones you like best. Easiest way to solve it, as everyone is different and no one else's preference will necessarily fit your taste
I think a set of 12's would be best for you. I change tunings weekly and adj my truss rod
Quote by NakedInTheRain

but if you insist, 12s.

Big +1. Save for a guitar that you keep in low tunings. If you don't restring every week, you could find a backup guitar rather quickly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/