As the title suggests i need to down size to a smaller amplifier from the peavey 6505 212. This is because i'm going to university and its too heavy to carry up into my accommodation and a little too loud for shared dorms.

I'm wanting a smaller more portable amp which will give me similar tones to the peavey but is smaller(preferably a head and cab) and is still valve.

I play mainly Tool, Metallica, Queen of the stone age, Deftones and Gojira so i'm wanting a similar tone to these artists.

Gear wise i use a Ibanez MTM2 with emg 60 and 81 and a boss gt-8 multi effects unit (so i'm not to bothered about on amp effects)

Budget wise i have the amount which ill get from selling the peavey which should be around £500-£600 and maybe £100 more which i could add.

Any recommendations of amp which could fit this role would be most helpful

Thanks
Get an amp with a headphone out. Some people in dorms are really cool, others are not so cool with guitars.

I would look at the Peavey Vypyr 30, Blackstart HT1/5 or just get a Pod HD and a decent set of headphones
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
1x12 cab for a start would help, Id say if you want it for bedroom practice and sound good you either need a really low output (1-5 watt) or a power attenuator then you could get what ever you can carry. Best thing for it is a lunchbox head, I'd recommend the Jim Roots Signature Terror to anyone and it switches to 7W, it won't sound anything like a 6505 though, so theres always the egnater, blackstar, hayden lunchbox options which are a bit more american sounding.
Just as a last note you can never put a power stage through headphones and they're the magic behind valve distortion so don't even consider that as an option.
Thanks for the help guys, i was looking at the orange 15 watt heads such as the dark terror and jim root. Would you recommend the Jim root terror over the dark terror ?
The OR15 is the best small orange head. But you will find that they are still very loud amps, and louder than what will be acceptable in a dorm.

Why not use your GT-8? It has amp sims and a headphone out right?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
if you have a multi FX the Vox AC4 is a good choice, built in attenuator can drop it to a quarter watt, and through a 2x12 cab it'll keep up with most drummers. I have one and with the right overdrive/distortion it grits up nicely.
Yeh it does. I guess i'm just trying to get the best sound available. i prefer amp sound to the digitized sound from the gt-8. Are the hayden 1w heads any good such as the mofo ? or would it be better to headphone a bigger amplifier?
Quote by FromTheSky212
Yeh it does. I guess i'm just trying to get the best sound available. i prefer amp sound to the digitized sound from the gt-8. Are the hayden 1w heads any good such as the mofo ? or would it be better to headphone a bigger amplifier?

Well I would deff advise you bring the GT-8 to college with you. If you want a small amp, go for it, but I would deff get a decent set of headphones for quiet jamming.

There are not a lot of tube amps with headphone out, but there are more available in the last few years

A peavey vypyr 30 would fit the bill great for you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 25, 2013,
No worries.

The vypyr 30 is a SS amp though, but it is a modeling amp geared twards heavier music. It also has a 12" speaker so it will sound decent a louder volumes if you jam with others. It also has a headphone jack, built in fx and a tuner.
It has models of the 6505 on it so it will get close to what you are used to.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate