Throughout my playing career, I have been a fairly adamant advocate of a 4 by 12cab. I'm rocking a Dual Rec, and looking to get a new cab for it. What are the benefits tonally or sonically of a 2 by 12 over a 4? I'm using it for both studio work and outdoor gigging, sometimes without a PA. Is a 2 by 12 giggable? Just looking for some help in my decision! Thoughts and opinions please!
Thanks!
Ibanez Custom Sz series
Ibanez ARZ400
Home Made Tele
Halo Custom Shop Clarus
Gibson LP Custom Shop
Bugera 333XL
BlackStar HT-5
Ibanez TS9DX
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss DD-5
Korg Pitchblack
ISP Tech Decimator
The only benefit of a 2x12 is it is a little lighter and a little smaller in size. IMO there is nothing sonicly better about a 2x12 over a 4x12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The only benefit of a 2x12 is it is a little lighter and a little smaller in size. IMO there is nothing sonicly better about a 2x12 over a 4x12

Does the lack of the two additional speakers effect total volume out put in a dramatic way? I.e- Could I gig this without mic'ing it?
Ibanez Custom Sz series
Ibanez ARZ400
Home Made Tele
Halo Custom Shop Clarus
Gibson LP Custom Shop
Bugera 333XL
BlackStar HT-5
Ibanez TS9DX
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss DD-5
Korg Pitchblack
ISP Tech Decimator
Quote by AfghanVet
Does the lack of the two additional speakers effect total volume out put in a dramatic way? I.e- Could I gig this without mic'ing it?

Get a good 2x12 cab like: Mesa Recto, Orange PPC, Avatar contemporary and you can gig un-mic'd no problems. And with the good ones (that are over-sized) you will get a big bass response similar to a 4x12

It is about 3dB difference in loudness
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 25, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a good 2x12 cab like: Mesa Recto, Orange PPC, Avatar contemporary and you can gig un-mic'd no problems. And with the good ones (that are over-sized) you will get a big bass response similar to a 4x12

It is about 3dB difference in loudness

Yeah, I'm an Orange guy myself, so that is my real debate. The 2x12 or the 4x12.
Ibanez Custom Sz series
Ibanez ARZ400
Home Made Tele
Halo Custom Shop Clarus
Gibson LP Custom Shop
Bugera 333XL
BlackStar HT-5
Ibanez TS9DX
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss DD-5
Korg Pitchblack
ISP Tech Decimator
The main sonic difference is sound dispersal. If you're going unmic'd, I would much rather have a 4x12.

A 2x12 can make a big difference if your vehicle is tiny, but that's about it. Getting a 212 to save space at home always seemed pretty dumb to me because the only extra space a 412 takes up is vertical.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ That may be true, but it also takes up a whole wall.

There's a big difference in having a 2x12 and a 4x12. If you swap a combo for a cab and you come home with a 4x12 you'll have fun explaining that when you put it in the bedroom.
I have a 4x12 with two heads on top in my bedroom.

If you're really serious about playing guitar, being with someone(s) who doesn't understand/support gear or GAS is just plain stupid. If that's what you were implying.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Or, you could possibly be completely unreasonable.

I live in a one bedroom flat, I have thousands of pounds worth of gear, which regularly changes. But having 7 guitars in the living room started to resemble a pawn shop. I had 4 amps at one point and it just looked messy. My girlfriend hardly says anything, but if I start to line the walls with amps and cabs and start to take the flat over with gear she might start to think that it's a bit much.

You will find that relationships are give and take, and there are limits to what you can impose on people. My girlfriend would find a 4x12 looming in the living room a bit of an eyesore, which is why a 2x12 is perfect, because it's not that noticeable. Having a 4x12 doesn't make a difference in the pursuit of being serious about guitar.

You think I'm stupid for respecting my partners perfectly reasonable wishes? I think you'd be stupid not to.
I guess as an addendum, I should add that if you're really serious about guitar, you should have a dedicated space for your gear. I thought we were talking about bedrooms, now you're talking about living rooms... I wouldn't put a stack in the living room.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I guess as an addendum, I should add that if you're really serious about guitar, you should have a dedicated space for your gear. I thought we were talking about bedrooms, now you're talking about living rooms... I wouldn't put a stack in the living room.

I have a lot of great gear, I have a R9, Fender Select Tele, Mini Rec, I have weekly lessons, I do grades, I have to travel 90 minutes to and from to my teacher. I'm pretty serious. I live in social housing that I can buy next year for a ridiculously low price in a government scheme, and sell it a few years after and recoup 4 fold what I paid.

But my gear needs it's own room so I should give up my flat, and my chance at a great future just to appear serious?

What if I move into a 3 bedroom house and I have triplets? I should move again, so my gear has it's own room?

My gear has it's place, it's over there and over there!

Ideally, if you have your own room it's ideal, but your expectations don't match the reality of peoples situations. When I was 16 I had my own room, but now I'm building a life with someone, I'm not 23 anymore and I need to balance all my hobbies around my other commitments, otherwise I'll end up with no job, no girlfriend etc.

That's the reality.
Holy derail!

Quote by AfghanVet
Throughout my playing career, I have been a fairly adamant advocate of a 4 by 12cab. I'm rocking a Dual Rec, and looking to get a new cab for it. What are the benefits tonally or sonically of a 2 by 12 over a 4? I'm using it for both studio work and outdoor gigging, sometimes without a PA. Is a 2 by 12 giggable? Just looking for some help in my decision! Thoughts and opinions please!
Thanks!

Yes! But I suspect you'll be happier with a 412. Buy both! Duh.